National Museum of Military Vehicles

Townesw

I have not, but it looks quite interesting. The Lander area is beautiful, as are the Wind River Mountains, but it is crazy busy in summer. There is a wonderful mustang preserve, Wind River Wild Horse Sanctuary, close by, we visited a couple of years ago, and went on an ATV tour out to meet the wild animals up close. If you don’t care for horses, don’t bother….

BTW Dubois is pronounced DEW-boys. not that panty-waist French pronunciation. 😬

FYI if you like urban boondocking, the city park in Lander is quite nice. My waypoint comments: “Free RV spaces, public toilets, no hookups,. tel:307-332-4647, NICE, NEXT TO POPO AGIE R, REASONABLY SECURE, lots of space, no sign in. Max 3 days.”

51C46DD3-C241-405E-9213-9FB9345FCD4B.thumb.jpeg.eb9563e94f1bb8514c0b96d1ef5f7d92.jpeg

And Popo Agie is pronounced Puh-PO-zha. The Sinks are cool, a few miles up the canyon. I spent an entire summer at the geology field camp further along, and drove that road daily. There are lots of camping areas up high in the National Forest. Most of the open land on the valley floor is Wind River Reservation, and not accessible.

If you are headed up north be sure to visit the Buffalo Bill firearms museum in Cody. Upper Sunshine Reservoir near Meeteetse has 5 star boondocking. Cody is even crazy busier than Lander. Don’t even think of camping there unless you have reservations at the state park or an RV park.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks @John E Davies . We are at West Yellowstone headed to Cody. We have reservations there. The NMMV in DEWboyz was a little out of the way but it’s not often that we get to WY. I was about 2.5 hours from you a few days ago at Libby MT. 

• Like 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

I was at the museum before today - Thursday? of this week. It was interesting - I mentioned to my daughter in a phone call I think that there are many museums where hobbyists started a museum to make their hobby a 501c3 - There was nothing that I would consider special - the usual WWI and II vehicles, with a few later vintage VietNam and mid-east vehicles. A friend collects similar vehicles. He has about 30 in his yard/storage building. Same vehicles. If you have a few extra hours and are driving along I80, and like such stuff, it is worth the stop. 

In Boulder Wy tonight, on my way to several days in Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. If you want a Harvest Host spot, and like whiskey (or just a distillery) stop by Pine Bluffs Distilling in Pine Bluffs, WY. They have plenty of space - as many people as can fit - they list 10 spots, but they could hold 20 or more and still have space. Friendly, family run business. 14 year old daughter was washing glasses and supporting mom the bartender.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

2021 Elite I #758       

image.png.d972b5fc86270818b1e0f030bfaa433a.pngMap of Provinces I Visited

We stopped at the National Museum of Military Vehicles. I spent several hours in there and found it very interesting. The founder Dan Starks lead a 4 hour tour but I opted to just walk and read at my own pace. The ticket is a 2 day ticket and I think they allow overnight parking in the gravel RV/trailer lot if you purchase a ticket and visit the museum. 

• Like 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax