Ammo can propane burner

I don’t like to cook in my Ollie and usually cook with a Wok when not grilling. When there is electric (like many of you) I use my portable induction cooktop. When there is no electric, I have been using a small, single burner high pressure burner. It is not very hot and does not like wind. 

The search for a high output, single burner propane burner that I can use with the Ollies low pressure quick connects yielded several units, all bulky or heavy.  Plus most were North of $150. 

I am a fan of .50 cal ammo cans as they are durable and compact and a clean-stow in the pickup bed. Also simple to label with a sharpie  

since I had already built a self-contained, low pressure firepit from a ammo can, I decided to look for components to build a high output single burner version for cooking

The 50,000 btu burner came from a local home goods store (Menards), the propane orifice and valve from the local propane supplier, the burner grate from salvage and the ammo can from JAX outdoor store.  All-in the unit cost $40.  Haven’t tested it yet but I dont see why it wont work well

Here is the final product. 

DB61EBF6-0A9A-47BC-AB38-4CB33A3E3AEC.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Wow 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

That is great, thanks for posting. I love those mil surplus cans. I have all my towing paraphernalia in one of the ubiquitous .50 cal version….it fits neatly in a plastic milk crate, and if I leave the top latch undone, the lid will open and close while it is in the crate. The only problem with your setup is your ammo will “cook off”…. 😬 For those who may not know: … https://www.armyandoutdoors.com/blogs/news/an-introduction-to-ammo-cans

Why did you pick such a huge size? A typical home gas range big burner is less than 20,000 btu.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I could see doing a low country boil on a big pot on that burner.

My turkey fryer burner has a ton of btu, but I would be hesitant to put a big pot of oil on the ammo box.

Its a great idea, and if the burner is easily adjustable,  it should work in wind. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 hours ago, John E Davies said:

That is great, thanks for posting. I love those mil surplus cans. I have all my towing paraphernalia in one of the ubiquitous .50 cal version….it fits neatly in a plastic milk crate, and if I leave the top latch undone, the lid will open and close while it is in the crate. The only problem with your setup is your ammo will “cook off”…. 😬 For those who may not know: … https://www.armyandoutdoors.com/blogs/news/an-introduction-to-ammo-cans

Why did you pick such a huge size? A typical home gas range big burner is less than 20,000 btu.

John Davies

Spokane WA

the burner was what I found locally and it was cheap.  Figured I would try it and see how it works.  If it is too much of a afterburner I can always downgrade later.

• Like 3

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW