Tundra trailer brakes

Caddymv

The setting will vary based on road and trailer conditions (paved roads vs. dirt/gravel, dry vs. wet roads, trailer tanks empty or full).   I’m towing our Elite II with an F-250 with the trailer brake controller gain typically set anywhere from 4.0 to 6.0 depending on road conditions and trailer loading.  If it’s wet roads and the trailer tanks are empty, I’ll use a lower gain setting to prevent the trailer brakes from locking up when braking hard.  If it’s dry paved roads and the trailer tanks are near full (that’s another 500 lbs. of weight) I’ll set the gain higher.   There are plenty of videos on YouTube about how to adjust the trailer brake gain setting for your specific towing situation.   You’ll have to experiment a bit for your truck/trailer combination, and also get comfortable using the little finger paddles on the trailer brake controller so you know how to use them when needed.  

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Caddymv said:

What trailer brake setting works for the Elite 2  when being pulled by the Tundra V8.  My pickup date is the end of October and I am overthinking everything. Thank you

It would be helpful if you indicated which brake controller you are using - are you talking about the built-in model in the later Tundras or an aftermarket one? 

You may also find that a new trailer has poor performing brakes until the shoes get properly bedded to the drums. The process is discussed either in the owners manual or the Dexter axle manual - I don’t recall where I found it. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, katanapilot said:

You may also find that a new trailer has poor performing brakes until the shoes get properly bedded to the drums. The process is discussed either in the owners manual or the Dexter axle manual - I don’t recall where I found it. 

That process is called "burnishing."  It entails making multiple long (non-emergency) stops at moderate to low speeds (say from 35 mph to about 0) on deserted sections of road.  We plan to burnish the brakes on our new Elite II as we drive from the Oliver campsite to David Crockett State Park, for our post-delivery Days 2-4 full shakedown.  Hopefully no emergency stops will be required before long after we have left DCSP!

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Caddymv said:

What trailer brake setting works for the Elite 2  when being pulled by the Tundra V8.  My pickup date is the end of October and I am overthinking everything. Thank you

Yep, you’re overthinking it.  When you have your trailer hooked up set you brake controller somewhere in the middle. While going at idle speed, say 5mph or less activate your trailer brakes but not your truck.  If your trailer skids and you are on pavement, adjust down until you don’t.  If you are on gravel and skid, adjust down until you don’t, then up to the first setting where you do skid.  After a while you’ll be able to feel where the setting should be by activating the trailer brakes and feeling how much drag you get from the trailer.  It’s not rocket science and there is no exact setting.  Others may have different methods and thoughts but this has worked for us.  Mike

• Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS