Need Help Breakaway Switch

weyzer

Breakaway.thumb.jpg.4513808557ddeb5ccd93e8a51fde6b20.jpgHi Folks, it's been awhile.

I have a problem, I have had my trailer parked in one location most of the summer at a job site that I'm working at. It appears that some idiot, with what I assume is a weed-wacker hooked and pulled out the breakaway cord on the trailer frame. Its not broken but pulled free of the trailer. It is my understanding that this cord, when detached will lock the trailer brakes, this is a huge problem for obvious reasons. I have looked in the owners manual for instructions on how to reattach the cord but all it says is "see product manual" which I do not have. I am really hoping that this is something I can fix myself, getting a RV technician to this small northern Maine town is not going to be easy if at all possible.

Thanks

Leigh

Olive Oyl

2015 GMC Yukon

2016 Legacy Elite II

Hull # 132

The black pin activates the switch when withdrawn, you just orient it correctly and push it back in place. It may take a little effort, especially if you haven’t pulled it routinely. Have you ever tested yours? You should before EVERY trip to make sure it is functional and not corroded or seized.

This is a generic pic:

BECCE0A0-B514-430E-B421-07F1A6C3F9BA.thumb.jpeg.71f975c06439a794e63b70c500a77960.jpeg

The brake magnets can possibly be damaged (overheated) and the batteries will definitely run down. Full current goes to the brakes when it operates, about 12 amps for the LE2. So figure about 120 AH over ten hours time.

If you have some alcohol or aerosol electrical contact cleaner, flush out the debris from inside the cavity.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Ok thanks for the info. Problem, the black pin is gone it must have broken and went flying when it was pulled out. Do you have the name of the manufacture? Do you think this might be something my local RV supplier may carry. If not I'll have to contact the manufacture for a replacement, I only hope they have a replacement Key and I don't have to buy a whole new unit.

Leigh

Olive Oyl

2015 GMC Yukon

2016 Legacy Elite II

Hull # 132

My 2019 Ollie has the Fastway breakaway switch.   Replacement cable/pin assemblies are available on Amazon.   But as John mentioned above, with that pin pulled/gone, that means the electric emergency brakes are activated and have been on continuously, causing them to heat up (they are an electro-magnet system) and draining the trailer battery.  If you’re hooked to shore power you likely won’t see any battery drain, but the electric emergency breakaway brakes are still ON as long as that pin is out of the socket.  If I were in this situation, until you can get the proper replacement cable/pin, you may want to try using a small wooden dowel rod or a piece of wooden popsicle stick CAREFULLY inserted into the switch that would at least open the switch contacts and interrupt the power so the brakes turn off while the trailer is sitting stationary now.     And I’m now going to order a cable assembly to keep as a spare just in case.  

Fastway ZIP 6 Foot Breakaway Cable and Pin 80-01-2206 https://a.co/d/ehXNBSn

• Like 1

Oh, I understand now. She has been hooked up to shore power this whole time but still I'll see what I can get into the switch to interrupt the flow of power.

Thank you every one

Olive Oyl

2015 GMC Yukon

2016 Legacy Elite II

Hull # 132

Worst case, cut the wires…,, you do NOT want to have that operating all the time. There is no fuse to remove, it is “hard wired” all the way back to the DC electrical bus under the rear street side bed. I installed a 20 amp fuse there for mine, so I can deal with this sort of situation.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Oh hell I have no idea when this occurred, this is the first time i have been here in 2 weeks. It's possible that it's been operating  for a week or more. Is there a possibility that the mechanism has fused?

Olive Oyl

2015 GMC Yukon

2016 Legacy Elite II

Hull # 132

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Worst case, cut the wires…,, you do NOT want to have that operating all the time. There is no fuse to remove, it is “hard wired” all the way back to the DC electrical bus under the rear street side bed.

Would it be possible to identify which wires on the DC electrical bus go to the breakaway switch, and disconnect them there? 

I would then do as John Davies has done and install a 20A fuse, or maybe a circuit breaker?  Would this 20A DC circuit breaker work?

https://www.amazon.com/RKURCK-Waterproof-Inverter-Trolling-Protection/dp/B077CYL8DH/ref=asc_df_B077CYL8DH/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242027088707&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6283571651521133664&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029558&hvtargid=pla-452616206778&psc=1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

20 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Thanks for the link.  Interesting reading indeed.  It persuaded me to not install a fuse in the breakaway switch wire.

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg