reddish/orange "liquid" coming from center hub, getting spun out onto wheel and tire

My 6 month old Ollie Elite2 has been sitting for 2 month, took it out yesterday for a short 3 mile spin.  When I got home I noticed something on my wheel which was not there when I took off my tire covers....  On one of the 4 wheels, I could see a reddish/orange stain, looks like coming from the hub, and by the trails it left, I believe it started as liquid, and was centrifically being spun out onto wheels and tire.  It was dry to touch, a very fine reddish/orange powder.  It might be rust, but was more orange than "usual" rust.  If it is rust, that doesn't seem "right" to me.  Has anyone seen this before?  Suggestions?

IMG_0712.HEIC

• Wow 1

TV 2020 Audi Q7, no weight distribution hitch.  Ollie E2, Hull #1081, born April 2022.

I reposted your pic, this forum will not handle HEIC files, you have to change them to a more common format.

B864A998-9B31-41EB-B8BF-F1300755A5C7.thumb.jpeg.57e984894fe0c87213eefd7abc00be28.jpeg

Rusty water, you need to remove the wheel and see what is going on, it appears to be trapping water and then the hub rusts and the water slings out. It won’t hurt the wheels, short term, IF they are waxed, but you should fix it ASAP. Long term, it can corrode the wheel inside. It sure is ugly, eh?

This is just one problem with center caps, mine are long gone. BTW I sure do like those new style wheels.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The wheel center caps are probably made by Lionshead and chrome plated steel.  The ones on my trailer rusted and pitted in six months. You have to take the wheel off to remove them. All of mine were rusting on the inside too. One of them contained some rusty water.

Replaced them with this stainless steel version.

IMG_20200930_135800112_HDR.thumb.jpg.deeef2730513e7029f4649d66b21d006.jpg

• Like 2

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4

Or throw yours away and install stainless caps over the axle hub nuts:

image.thumb.png.37e1f9a212933b7c992fc190bf581a4e.png

I use this type so I can pop the rubber out to check the condition of the grease. Add a slight skim of clear silicone sealant to each cap before driving it in, so it will not seep oil. Paint the hubs gloss black and it looks fine. This way you can readjust a loose nut without removing the wheel and you can take a more accurate temp reading of the hub...

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I am confused.  Corvus' recommended stainless steel replacement caps are 4.25" diameter.  John Davies' recommended stainless steel replacement caps are 1.98" diameter.  And, the description for the 1.98" says "Fits Most 5-Lug Trailer Hubs."  The wheels on the Elite II sure look like 6-lug to me.

Will either fit the Elite II wheels?

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

The 1.98” ones don’t go on the wheels at all, you throw those center caps away.

4E089D85-85AB-45AF-B150-753729E39B32.thumb.jpeg.4dfa58bea92483d6229d376a0135bfdc.jpeg

BTW the LE2 axles are standard 3500 pound axles, they just have special 6 stud hubs so Oliver can use those heavy duty 16 inch wheels.  It also means there are no plug and play disk brake kits available, you either have to install two new heavier axles or downsize to 15 inch tires and 5 lug wheels. Not exactly brilliant engineering….. 

Your Ollie will come with this sort of hub: Trailer Hub and Drum Assembly - 3,500-lb Axles - 10" Diameter - 6 on 5-1/2 … but with NevR Lube bearings, I think.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2