New from Blue Sky/Sunforge

SeaDawg

• Moderators

For us "old timers" with the mostly indestructible Blue Sky solar gear, there's a new, easier GUI available for our old school systems. More info available if you buy the unit with the shunt. I haven't read any reviews yet, as I  just got the email from Sunforge yesterday.  I don't think there's any bluetooth remote capability, but it looks like a relatively easy install.

https://sunforgellc.com/product/protouch/

Ten per cent off coupon code in the first photo.

Screenshot_20230506_151906_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20230506_151839_Gmail.jpg

ProTouch_Manual-Rev-1.0_AP.pdf

• Thanks 5
  • Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• The title was changed to New from Blue Sky/Sunforge

We had a Blue Sky charge controller in our previous SOB - bombproof

• Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

We had a Blue Sky charge controller in our previous SOB - bombproof

I will also say that Blue Sky has some of the best customer service and technical service in the rv/marine industry.

That's why we stayed with them when we upgraded our controllers to a master/slave system, when we upgraded our panels to 400 watts fixed, 200 watts portable.

We did, however, go with mostly Victron gear on the sailboat 600 watt system, for a few reasons. At the time, better graphic user interfaces, Bluetooth capability, better connectivity with other systems previously installed. Better water and dust proofing (ip) ratings. And, most importantly, one of our best camping and sailing friends is trained by Victron.... and, he helped us with the install. 

Two great companies-- BlueSky and Victron, imo.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

16 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I will also say that Blue Sky has some of the best customer service and technical service in the rv/marine industry.

That's why we stayed with them when we upgraded our controllers to a master/slave system, when we upgraded our panels to 400 watts fixed, 200 watts portable.

We did, however, go with mostly Victron gear on the sailboat 600 watt system, for a few reasons. At the time, better graphic user interfaces, Bluetooth capability, better connectivity with other systems previously installed. Better water and dust proofing (ip) ratings. And, most importantly, one of our best camping and sailing friends is trained by Victron.... and, he helped us with the install. 

Two great companies-- BlueSky and Victron, imo.

100% concur, @SeaDawg!  The BT Victron Smart Shunt is a game changer for us.  

Just curious, what main panels did you upgrade to?  We're looking at increasing our original 170W's to a couple 200W panels.

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators

We bought some bi-facial panels from a Michigan company. We had to modify the mounts, and bought some bits from am solar to do that. The panels have worked great for us, though not UL listed.

It was a few years ago. Panels keep improving,  so keep watching. 

Our panels are a different arrangement than the elite 2's, and also different from most elite 1's, as ours are side mounted, so we had to measure carefully.  So will you. 

@MAX Burner, I'll look through the archives and see if I can find the manufacturer name for you. It's severalbyears back, and manyvprojrcts ago, and it escapes me at the moment.  We replaced two 2008 Era 100 wathe tt panels, so the 200 watt were a bit longer, and a bit wider. (Not a lot, but enough to have to modify the mounts.)

I love the concept of the Zamp Obsidians, but way too expensive for me. I also like the stats on NewPowa and SunPower. We used SunPower flex panels on the boat's curved hardtop.

There are many good panels out there, today. We are solar powered on our home, our boat, and our Ollie, and love the clean, quiet (free, after install) energy.  Eight years into our home, install has already paid back. We feel that the boat and trailer have paid back in sustained battery life, and increased range. (Not yet in cost, probably, like the house.)

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4