Need to replace the slider in the curbside window

Hey, y'all.

In doing my Spring maintenance work I've noted that my EII's curbside sliding window has a leak and there's now water in between the panes. Curious if anyone else has seen this -- I've read about windows leaking but don't see anything about water inside the pane -- and have any advice as to where I might order a replacement and if I should try to do the swap myself?

I imagine these are probably standard-sized windows. Hope that's not wrong.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

I had that problem with the bathroom window on our Oliver.  Water actually building up between the panes.  The sliding portion was not available separately as a replacement part, so I had to get the entire window from Oliver and replace it.   Actually not too hard of a job.  Worst part was removing all the old caulk from the fiberglass hull.  Here are pics before, during, and after replacement.   As another option there are companies that will refurbish the faulty window.   At least one other Oliver owner has done that option so hopefully they will reply as well.  

image.thumb.jpeg.4236a6823d40aba9cfe95447dfaf21fa.jpeg

IMG_1245.jpeg

IMG_1254.jpeg

• Like 6

• Moderators

If it's fogging (broken seal between panes) you can take your trailer to a service  center and have the windows pulled,,resealed, and done.

We had three big windows done at Suncoast Desgin in Hudson FL  for about $1200. lifetime warranty,  and great folks.

There are services like this around the country. Google "rv window fogging repair" and your area.

The bath window may be cheaper to just replace. It's so small. 

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what kind of sealant they use for the bead of sealent on the windows it is black and very rubbery several corners on mine are getting gaps..

IMG_0595.jpeg

• Wow 2

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite ll  Hull 1267   10/6/22      Solar with AGMs   
 2015 Ram 2500 HD Cummins   B&H Hitch 

• Moderators

I've never seen that before. 

I would open a service ticket,  imo

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I asked about the sealant via a email about another ticket I am working n about the rear window Oliver’s reply was they don’t manufacture the windows and they don’t know what sealant it is……

This is the issue I have inthe back window that I have the ticket on…( pic below) they told me they will “look at it “ when I bring it down in Sept for its first service..    the other thing about the back window is it is kinda cock eyed and doesn’t line up. 🙁

We got it in Oct and winterized just now getting it dewinterize and doing this stuff.

this is their caulking  I will try to clean it up this weekendIMG_0593.thumb.jpeg.406a8b2381a95576badddc08248de421.jpeg

• Wow 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Your first picture is of the bathroom window and the black seal or gasket is installed by Lippert, the window manufacturer.  The picture of the rear window shows a sealant that Oliver uses to seal the window frame to the Oliver fiberglass exterior.  Both of these pictures indicate  failures in different components used in the manufacturing of an Oliver Travel Trailer.  I think your trip to Hohenwald is going to solve both of these issues to your satisfaction and may prevent future failures for you and other owners.  
I don’t think the bath window is a major concern, but if it does leak, adding some butyl tape would stick to the existing gasket, frame and glass.  It will be easier to remove than a silicone product.  The rear window does need attention to prevent water intrusion into the basement area and the interior of you Ollie.

Document any and all work you do while cleaning up the the caulking around the rear window with notes and pictures and provide that information to the Oliver service department during your upcoming appointment.

When I look around our house, I see the same or similar products used in the construction and installation of our windows and sometimes they need maintenance, in our case, it’s to keep the air conditioning in as well as water out.

Good luck and reach out if you need additional information,

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

26 minutes ago, mossemi said:

Mossey

Your eyes are better than mine. I looked at those pictures a couple of times and came away thinking they were not even for an Oliver!

Back to the original topic, I live in a town of about 30k with a couple of glass shops and an RV repair place and nobody will touch my window repair. There's another town nearby of about 100k and with a Camping World and so I suppose I'll call down there and see what I can find out.

Just documenting for posterity / anyone in the future who has this issue...

• Like 3

• Moderators

The giveaways for me were the printing on the glass in the bath window and the metal window gutter that is built into the rear window frame.  And Kansa mentioned working on the rear window sealant.

But,  you made me look at the rear window picture again and it appears to be the right side of the window frame.  The caulk that seals the frame to the fiberglass is on the right or outside of the frame.  And the deteriorating caulk is on the inside or glass side of the frame and there shouldn’t be any caulk in that area because that window is the fire escape and opens to the outside.

Now I find myself in my usual state of confusion.  So maybe Kansa can provide some additional pictures that show the complete window and we can also see the cockeyed view.

Mossemi

• Wow 1

In this photo the circled part is the frame seam with the messy chaulking also the arrows point to the gaps that show how crooked it was put together compare the gaps between left and right on top then left and right at the bottom…  on the far bottom seam You can see the weep hole on the right. On the left side I can barely get a small pipe cleaner to it….

IMG_0626.jpeg

• Wow 1

• Moderators

I certainly agree with your assessment!  It is cock eyed.  Hopefully the service department will get it sorted out for you.

Mossey

• Like 1

• Moderators

If you have not yet, please open a service ticket. 

Even if you're out of warranty. 

Service sends the info to the factory. 

That install is skewed, imo.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Thank you for your input everyone! I really appreciate your input and help

• 1 month later...

An update on how this is going ...on my cockeyed back window got a service ticket Jason said they already reject about 50% of them then Mike from Oliver sent me info from Lippert here is what Lippert want. 

Photos of the concern

Photos of the complete window from inside and outside of the coach

Photo of the Lippert etching

White Window id  tag with the RPO or variant number clearly visable

Video of cascade water test clearly showing where water is leaking inside/defect. 

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Kansa said:

An update on how this is going ... got a service ticket Jason said they already reject about 50% of them then Mike from Oliver sent me info from Lippert here is what Lippert want. 

Photos of the concern

Photos of the complete window from inside and outside of the coach

Photo of the Lippert etching

White Window id  tag with the RPO or variant number clearly visable

Video of cascade water test clearly showing where water is leaking inside/defect. 

Pretty much the same info requested when I filed warranty claims on residential windows.

It was a bit of a hassle, but worth it.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I'm not following how the last few posts to this thread have anything to do with the curbside window and how it might have water between the panes.

Perhaps the issue of a less-than-good install of the rear window deserves its own thread?