Mitigating hail damage on a TV

Patriot

After a recent 18-day trip, we were under numerous thunderstorm and hail warnings while camped. 
I decided to try and come up with a reasonable, low cost way to at least try and mitigate hail damage to our TV while parked during a bad hail storm. After giving it some thought, I went over to our local HF and purchased a few HF 72x80” large moving blankets and a few rolls of the HF fatigue mats. The fatigue mats will completely cover the hood and roof/moonroof of our TV. These mats can be secured with gaffers tape if we need it. The mats are super lightweight and can easily be trimmed to pattern your WS, hood or roof top. They roll up and store easily. Naturally, I hope we never have to use these mats or blankets. It certainly beats nothing at all.
Generally speaking, we feel like the Oliver will fair well in a hail storm with exception of the solar panels. We do carry extra moving blankets for the solar panels should we need them. This is not perfect solution, but it’s quick, lightweight and workable. It beats having to leave our TV at a dent removal shop for several weeks. I would be interested in anyones else’s contingency plan to mitigate hail damage to their TV. These HF materials came to $80.
This is still a work in progress.

Here is a $500 option 😳https://hailprotector.com/products/suv3-hail-protector-portable-suv-truck-and-van-protection-system-between-234-and-270-in-length

Patriot🇺🇸

A few photos-

IMG_9394.thumb.jpeg.d98f0986359f522adefb62f9b0bb220d.jpeg

I will pattern an entire foam cover for the WS.
IMG_9399.thumb.jpeg.f163ceaf018ea2663adaaabb87477d05.jpeg

The rear fiberglass topper will hopefully withstand small hail. 
IMG_9398.thumb.jpeg.feb1e30df91eb37dba932f4e93b57a0c.jpeg

IMG_2665.thumb.png.9e941597de92f915935728edf8c202aa.png

• Like 6

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

Btw, I use that same tennis ball on a string marker method, in our garage, so i dont get too close to my husband's vintage "college car".

The hf mats are great. I've actually toyed with the idea of using them in the Ollie alley, vs, rugs. Easy to sweep and vacuum, cushy underfoot, in the garage and workshop. I suspect they'd deflect a lot of energy/damage. 

Screenshot_20230824_153905_Chrome.jpg

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

In case anyone is interested and has a Harbor Freight nearby - 

Both the mats and the moving blankets are on sale through this Sunday.

Bill

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC