Looking to see a later model Elite II - ideally less than 2 hours from Jackson Hole.

Doug S

Hi all,

I haven't bought an Oliver yet - but close! My wife and I really would like to see one before making a final decision. An E II

Open items:

We are going back and forth on whether we want the Twin or the full. I think we would prefer the full, but not sure about how much of a nuisance we would feel with the set-up and take down, and the twins sure look good and open.

Also trying to figure out the composting or standard toilet, and if it's to be a standard, can we get an elongated bowl (we hear that it is much better for traveling re splashing etc.). 

The only safety issue I have is that we have a 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo RS with air suspension. No issue at all with power or torque, but we are edging up to the 616 pound tongue weight. I've read quite a bit about the actual physics involved, and with the designed low center of gravity for the Porsche it would seem like it would be a great towing vehicle. If anyone has experience with this - or any Cayenne or VW Touareg of the same year range I would really appreciate it!!!

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

Ozzie and Ruby - 2 Havanese characters

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

’23 F-250 RapidRed KR 7.3 Godzilla

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderator+

There aren't very many OEII’s that will have a tongue weight below 600 pounds. Most will range from 625-675. Some will go over 700 pounds. 
If you are a diehard minimalist you can probably squeeze by with that vehicle. Otherwise, you’re gonna want a real truck to really enjoy your travels without constantly worrying about being on the edge. Many of us are using 3/4 or 1 ton turbo diesel trucks to tow with and those of us in that camp have all moved up from smaller, more marginal vehicles. 

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Hello!  I'm still here in Jackson. I sent you a PM -- you are welcome to come see my Oliver E2. Call me asap because I'm only here for another week. 

I sent you my phone number, the best way to reach me while I'm not on wifi. I hope we can connect -- seeing one in person is the best way to make your decision. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

2024.04.29 - ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYBBBBBBsm.jpg

3 hours ago, Boudicca908 said:

Hello!  I'm still here in Jackson. I sent you a PM -- you are welcome to come see my Oliver E2. Call me asap because I'm only here for another week. 

I sent you my phone number, the best way to reach me while I'm not on wifi. I hope we can connect -- seeing one in person is the best way to make your decision. 

Thanks Toni, we have talked an I'm looking forward to seeing you and your Oliver!

• Like 3

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

22 hours ago, topgun2 said:

With regards to see an Oliver - you might want to send a private message to Boudicca908.

I know that as of last week that Oliver was in your area.

Good Luck!

Bill

I found one! Don't know if it's the same one - but probably close enough!

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Doug S said:

Don't know if it's the same one - but probably close enough!

I believe that it is one in the same.  

Enjoy your visit!

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

22 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

There aren't very many OEII’s that will have a tongue weight below 600 pounds. Most will range from 625-675. Some will go over 700 pounds. 
If you are a diehard minimalist you can probably squeeze by with that vehicle. Otherwise, you’re gonna want a real truck to really enjoy your travels without constantly worrying about being on the edge. Many of us are using 3/4 or 1 ton turbo diesel trucks to tow with and those of us in that camp have all moved up from smaller, more marginal vehicles. 

Hi,

I've been going by the rough estimates of 10% of trailer weight for tongue weight, but am cautious about exceeding safety boundaries, even if it is just in the "mind" of the insurance companies. I'm going to contact the towing experts in Canada on Monday, but I've seen a few notes like those below that give me confidence I could use the Cayenne as a first step and delivery vehicle in Tennessee.

I weighed my Oliver while on a trip. It weighed 5,700 lbs. The tongue weight was 560 lbs. While it is certainly possible to add a lot more gear, and some do, I would not say it was normal to get up over 6,500 lbs. Mine towed steady as a rock with less than 10% tongue weight and no WDH or sway device. Olivers are balanced properly and very stable. 10% tongue weight is a common rule of thumb and I see no reason to try to go higher than that with an Oliver.

Thanks and now more than ever, I'm going to expand my limited knowledge on Pickups. - Doug

You points are well taken -

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

Hi all!

First of all, I met up with Toni and she is a real pleasure! She was so generous of her time and so open. I now understand a little bit of the "family" we are probably going to join. Her EIite II was great. My wife and I and a friend who is mountain savvy went on the tour and it was better than I had imagined. My wife and friend felt the same way. The quality is so quiet - yet evident I was really impressed. It had much more storage than I thought and the practical nature of everything was obvious. I loved the fact that there were no sharp corners. In summary, Toni is a great ambassador for a great product.

I've also been looking at the Porsche from a more practical point of view and have decided I might use it only as a vehicle for delivery, I am rapidly adjusting to a 3/4 ton with a bed cover. We are high in the mountains and have many nights that are well below the gelling temps of diesels, (easily -10F, and occasionally -25F), so I'm biased to go with a big gasser. Most experienced people on the forums seem to emphasize that "you can't have too much truck", and the stress reduction alone can help you appreciate where you are rather than being distracted by things that are closer to the edge than you would like. I would trade the Porsche in, so this would also be my primary vehicle - which can work where I live.

I really appreciate all of your help! - Doug

• Like 5
  • Love 1

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

• Moderators

Glad things worked out and that your tour of our favorite travel trailer was a success.

Let us know if you have further questions.  Since we are "family" - we'll keep a light on for ya!

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

@Doug S It was a pleasure meeting you three,  and I’m looking forward to seeing you on the road in your future Oliver! Remember to ask about (and reserve space for) the rally!

This afternoon I gave tours of my Oliver to two of my fellow volunteers here at the hatchery — both of them were also impressed. It’s a beautiful trailer. Kudos to OTT for all the work in design and fabrication! And kudos to the Oliver family — you all add to the pleasure of ownership. 

• Like 3

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

2024.04.29 - ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYBBBBBBsm.jpg