First Winterization

A quick question about winterizing…

How much RV antifreeze is needed?  My guess is less than two gallons, but don’t want to make two trips into town.   We have a composting toilet and Truma, so I’m thinking just the lines, bathroom and external shower faucets, kitchen faucet, a bit in the gray water tank and P traps.

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
  • Moderators

As long as you make sure that you have closed the water heater bypass (assuming that you have the standard water heater) then two gallons will do the job.

Don't forget to add a bit of antifreeze to the toilet bowl (assuming that you have the standard toilet) in order to keep the seal in there in good shape.  And once you've done that put some "Saran wrap" over the top of the toilet bowl so that this antifreeze does not evaporate over the storage period.

Bill

p.s.  If I find the pink stuff either on sale or at a good price I buy enough in order to always have 2 to 6 gallons on hand.  There have been times (like this time of the year) when RV antifreeze is difficult to find.

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

23 minutes ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

We have a composting toilet

I also have a composting toilet. I needed 2 gallons. Don't forget to winterize the black water flush valve (even though you aren't using the black tank, I was told that it still needs to be winterized.) 

There is a video on Oliver website about winterizing the Truma Aqua-Go. Be sure to review that first. 

Edited by Boudicca908
added info
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

2024.04.29 - ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYBBBBBBsm.jpg

• Moderators
6 hours ago, topgun2 said:

If I find the pink stuff either on sale or at a good price I buy enough in order to always have 2 to 6 gallons on hand.  There have been times (like this time of the year) when RV antifreeze is difficult to find.

Out of season, especially on the south, this is great advice. We actually have no winterizing season in Florida,  so supplies run out quickly. (Folks returning north buy it up.)

We keep a gallon spare in the trailer, use it as a door stop. A gallon or two in the cabin in nc.  Yes, we live in Florida,  but we love shoulder season camping, so every once in awhile, we would rather have it on hand, than be without. 

You never know when shoulder season turns into early winter. Been there, done that , and lost an outside shower, unnecessary. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.