Kitchen Counter Shelf

jd1923

Coming from 30-40 ft RVs, the Oliver kitchen is just a little small. And we love our big breakfasts and dinners, married a great cook! At first, I was thinking we need a shield, something to protect the bedding from cooking spatters.

Newer Olivers have their 2-burner stove turned 90 degrees, but now we're glad ours is facing the cook. Next thought was why not a shelf instead. The shelf would need to be removeable for bedtime. This is the result of a few ideas.

Shelf1.jpg

Shelf2.jpg

Shelf3.jpg

• Like 3

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

I was able to install this without any permanent scar to the Oliver. The magnets came with screws, instead I used 3M 4950 VHB. The earth magnets are staggered for strength, and I taped an aluminum bar to the shelf (see pic) so it would not slide down. It sits on the upper 3 magnets. It takes a good pop to remove the shelf!

Took more time thinking than the work to install. Figure the shelf will sit between the mattress and the nightstand when we are sleeping.

Nice budget on this mod. Shelf, magnets and tape from Amazon.
Amazon.com: DIY CARTEL Made in USA Linear Floating Shelf - USA Manufactured Steel - Industrial Heavy Duty Metal Wall Mounted Modern Farmhouse Rustic Designed Shelf (24-in X 8-in Powder Coated White) : Home & Kitchen

Shelf Back.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

I used 3M 4950 VHB on the paper towel holder too (first pic), love the stuff! If I wanted the shelf magnets removed, it would take 20-30 minutes to remove and clean up.

• Like 1

Anybody wanting to make a similar kinda mod?...
You set all the magnets in the mounting position you prefer on the metal shelf, then clean all parts (and the cabinet edge to which it mounts) with alcohol and then apply the 3M tape on the magnets. Now you are almost there, Ready, Set, Go, no, no WAIT!

All you have to do is push the shelf correctly into position! Better be straight, only one chance with VHB tape. Or there is another way. You can take hours to measure and tape each individual magnet, or why not make a CAD drawing first? 🤣

I would say that if you want to do it my way, practice the mounting movement a half dozen times, prior to taking the second side off the tape!

Somehow, I got it level right up to the counter edge. Gotta love it!
Wish my new water pump and valve switches install would go as smoothly!

• Like 4

JD, thanks for posting that!   Your use of VHB was part of the solution I was looking for.  I’m thinking of using stainless folding shelf brackets that screw into wood strips that adhere to the counter side.  Also thinking of possibly elongating the bracket screw hole with a slot that would allow a quick removal.   Downside there is exposed screw heads.

IMG_1080.thumb.jpeg.bd0dadbf004ce0b7d3089883d42c513f.jpeg

• Like 1

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

• Moderators

There have been a number of these types of "shelf mods" post here on the Forum over the years but this is one of the simpler examples.

Since I travel mostly solo and don't really cook all that much inside the Ollie I don't have need for a shelf, but, to avoid splatter onto the bed area I have one of THESE.

Easy to put up, take down and store and is inexpensive.  But, it does not increase counter space.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

4 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

JD, thanks for posting that!   Your use of VHB was part of the solution I was looking for.  I’m thinking of using stainless folding shelf brackets...

I went down the same path, had brackets like this on my Amazon Wishlist! Also thought of 'Z' brackets and other removeable options. The folding option was not going to work for us because we just purchased 12" tall mattresses from Brooklyn Bedding (a Phoenix AZ company, see rvmattress.com) and with the taller mattress the shelf would not fold down 90 degrees.

Then when I found this great steel shelf the magnets seemed the way to go. Wish they had a 30" shelf, to hover over the 30" wide mattress, but choices were 24" or 36". Thought for a day or two of buying the 36" length and cutting it down to 30" but I would have had to get a machine shop to cut this steel exactly square so that it would look right. My advice, choose your shelf first and then select the mounting.

Yes, VHB either way and purchase 3M 4950 VHB. I had another 3M VHB, black in color and thinner. I used it to mount the aluminum bar to the shelf, but it is not as strong, so I did not believe it would support the shelf. I wish I could post a video of me taking this shelf on and off. When the magnets grab, it loudly clicks into position, and you can feel how strong the mount is. If I was to do this again, with the same parts, perhaps 5 magnets vs. 6 would be the perfect recipe.

• Like 3