Quality Electrical Installs Start With Quality Tools & Wiring

Geronimo John

BLUF*:  If you are just starting to look at DIYing Oliver electrical projects, and are not experienced with major electrical surgery, then I suggest reading further.  

As an Oliver DYI guy, I have relied heavily on more electrically inclined owner's guidance and suggestions.  This forum has been invaluable in planning and execution of the installation of my Houghton, Battleborns, Victron 712 Smart, DC to DC Charging, and 3,000 watt inverter projects to name a few.  A common thread of each of these projects have been the use of electrical cable, lugs, and specialized tools. 

As a Mechanical Engineer, I have always purchased very high quality tools and materials for my mechanical efforts.  But for electrical efforts, I was far less informed.  Frankly, my electrical hand tools were junk, my electrical lugs were Chinese Junk, and my hammer actuated lug crimper was not up to the task either.  Worse, I would not know a quality cable if you hit me over the head with it.    

Then came Ollie.  I knew I wanted my Ollie DYI efforts to be first rate and I had to learn about electrical tools and materials.  But that process took a lot of time and effort.  So good choices were made only because I listened to the DYI Owners who had already plowed the path.  But what I did not really understand was why the high quality (and expensive) electrical components they recommended really do justify the higher costs.    

So, for the new to the DYI Oliver electrical system upgrade team, the below rather long winded video will fill in some of the voids. 

Shameless Plug:  I do highly recommend and use:  Kline Tools, Blue Sea Systems (anything) and BatteryCables USA (Pure Copper Cables, Lugs, Heat Shrink) 

GJ

* NOTE:  Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF)

• Thanks 4
  • Like 6

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

I agree completely GJ!    My specialty is making furniture and I've found over the years quality tools are nearly always the best way to go.   Typically they are expensive for a reason.   Quality materials... quality tools and some quality skill sets!    The young man in the video is a bit long winded... but one can tell he knows what he's talking about.     I can do some simple wiring, but while I recognize good work when I see it, I am a bit intimidated by doing some of the projects I hear others taking on.   I'm sure I could do it once I set my mind to the task... but I'm not there yet.

I hope someday to install a dc to dc system so that I can utilize charging benefit while driving from point A to B.   I seem to remember JD doing something like that and if I remember correctly it had the main component installed on the Oliver... and not in the truck, which makes a lot of sense to me.    The advantage being that the capability stays with the Oliver and not the tow vehicle that is likely to get traded out at points in the future.      

• Like 3

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

• 1 month later...