Outside Courtesy Lights

I have noticed that my outside courtesy lights have “turned off” on a few occasions.  This morning, I saw them blink off when the furnace kicked on.  I suspect that I have a bad connection, or the current pull from the furnace is somehow dropping the lights.  

Thoughts?

Hull #364 - The Roadrunner 

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

ALAKAZARCACOFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMSMO

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
28 minutes ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

I suspect that I have a bad connection, or the current pull from the furnace is somehow dropping the lights.  

Since they blink off when the furnace cuts in, I suspect the latter. What type of batteries do you have and what's their voltage when the furnace is running?

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

10 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Since they blink off when the furnace cuts in, I suspect the latter. What type of batteries do you have and what's their voltage when the furnace is running?

4x6VDC AGMs, on shore power at the time.  Batteries are in good shape.

• Like 3

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

If you're on shore power and your converter is working correctly (batteries stay charged, etc.) when this happens that lowers the odds it's a voltage problem, but it would still help to get a voltage reading when your furnace kicks in. You could use either a multimeter or a volts readout from a monitor in your cabin (not sure what monitors your year trailer had).

Other options would include a bad connection, with the furnace observation being just a coincidence. First thing I would look at would be the switch. The contacts may be worn or oxidized, or you could have dust in there. Do the lights function correctly when switched on/off? No flickering or delay after you flip the switch?

• Like 5

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

Most of the sleuthing will have to wait until we get home.  Dust may be a culprit, we had gusts to 70mph, blowing talc fine dust at Mesquite Springs, DVNP.  Getting rained on at the moment.🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

2023 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7L

On 3/5/2024 at 10:35 PM, Steph and Dud B said:

...First thing I would look at would be the switch. The contacts may be worn or oxidized, or you could have dust in there. .

This was the case with ours, fiberglass dust had gotten into the panel switches; the blue indicator LED would flicker along with the cabin lights in our case. 

• Like 4

Tom & Doreen • 2023 Elite ll • Hull #1321 • 2023 Tundra Platinum Crew Max • Cheshire CT 

States1.jpg

I would start with the dust in the switch scenario mentioned by @Steph and Dud B and @Tom and Doreen.  That would be an easy fix.  Pop the panel, blow it out with some compressed air and slather the terminals with dielectric grease for good measure.  If it is still flickering, dig deeper.

Edited by Jason Foster
  • Like 4

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.