How Can I Begin to Off the Grid Boondock this Season?

I admit to being spoiled living in the Western USA with Federal Public Lands everywhere, it seems.  Especially where we like to visit and camp.  Settlers in the 19th Century needed lower elevations with water.  Dry areas without available water, good soil or long Winters and short growing Seasons were not ideal homestead properties.

Good for those of us who enjoy exploring, rock hunting, wild life exposure, fishing, hiking and just sitting outside with few others within eye sight.

First and the BEST option:  DeLorme Atlas of the State you would like to visit, or know more about a State you may want to go further into the Public Domain.  BLM, National Forest, National Grasslands and all other possibilities at your flipping through the pages of an Atlas of choice.

The year of the Atlas does not matter.  Most of the roads off the paved roads have been there since the Oregon Trail, Logging and Mining. Ranchers dropping livestock off for Summer grazing.  Fall Hunting Season is a big business for small western remote communities.  The local Forest Service maintains the main unpaved roads and when money permits... the side roads and fence for grazing leases for cattle.

I pulled out Arizona and scanned the important details. Also on the back of the Atlas, you find an area you may want to Explore... the map page number is at your finger tips.

We carry those Atlases that we may be near or going to.  You never know. Also mark the camping spots on the map, so we can return.  On the return... we can then expand our travel on the, often, very good Forest Service roads.  The Oliver has high clearance and 16 inch tires.  If your Tow Vehicle had 2wd you may be limited on... some... but not many side roads.  If you have 4x4 there is almost unlimited options in some areas. Arizona has lots of people living in the Forests... and I just pulled it out as it was handy. But... there are places in the mountains, but expect lots of locals on the weekends and holidays.

What questions do you have?  Someone may be able to help you.  What about the Midwest and Eastern States?  Any advice as to general references.

Saddle up your Oliver Elite and hitch your multiple Horse Power Tow Vehicle and get with it.

Scan 11.jpeg

Scan 12.jpeg

Scan 13.jpeg

Scan 14.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Have the same map, in our bin of travel maps. We bought ours when we first moved to Prescott, AZ in the year of 2005. I love paging through the printed maps of old!

When traveling, RVing (or TTing) these days we use Avenza maps: Avenza Maps | The #1 Digital Map Store

You can download all of the USGS maps for free and many others. The beauty of the online maps is you can see your location, at the little blue dot! Have it on my phone, whether we are traveling or even dirt-riding in the Arizona BLM and NF.

I believe I made some odd comment, the first time I read one of your posts...
You have an intriguing writing style! We look forward to your next addition. 😂

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderators

While I like having Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze telling me where to go while driving, there’s nothing better than paper maps that can be spread out and studied.  You can see where you are, where you need to go, how to get there and any interesting detours along the way.  Maybe four decades in the Army shaped my view.  Carol usually has the atlas or some other map open while we’re driving along.  It gives you the big picture rather than the small snapshot on the electronic vehicle display.  Mike

• Like 7

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Posted (edited)

One important fact of using a map to determine where to set your trailer.

Sink Holes... east of Cedar City, Utah camped at he Cedar Breaks over 7800 feet elevation.  As a geologist I recognized the Sink Holes immediately.  Some thought they were from Volcanic activity.  Some thought Meteorite Craters. They fill with snow in the Winter and in the Spring they appear to be small ponds... then disappear downstream to Navajo Lake that ground water fills for boating.  In the summer... Navajo Lake... evaporates as all Sink Holes drain into this low area.

Visit Cedar Breaks sometime.  Lots of camping spots to discover.  But... when you see pine trees leaning and large circular holes swallowing trees... it could be you, your tow vehicle or Oliver sinking into a huge sink hole next.  Timing... today or hundreds of years later... who knows.

Great camping and look for Agate to the north of the road into the area, among the ravines about 3/4 mile to the left of the pine trees in the first photograph.  Sink holes do have some pluses... and avoid the minuses. Bring a back page or 5 gallon bucket. There are unlimited agates... today... and in a century... a sink hole make bury it all.   

DSCN0552.jpg

DSCN0618.jpg

DSCN0619.jpg

Edited by BoondockingAirstream
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

While I like having Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze telling me where to go while driving, there’s nothing better than paper maps that can be spread out and studied.  You can see where you are, where you need to go, how to get there and any interesting detours along the way.  Maybe four decades in the Army shaped my view.  Carol usually has the atlas or some other map open while we’re driving along.  It gives you the big picture rather than the small snapshot on the electronic vehicle display.  Mike

So true. We love our Benchmark Atlases for travel out west, with BLM and USFS areas highlighted with dispersed campgrounds.

• Like 3

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

I'm an old map guy too, but you cannot ever buy the thousands of USGS maps, in quadrangle detail available. I have hiking maps, trail maps marked with dispersed camping detail, and more. Not talking about driving down an Interstate or US highway.

Check out this map we downloaded for your first ever Oliver camp last July. Do note, the roads with the '. . .' alongside the roads. These stand for roads that allow dispersed camping. There is NOT a printed map in the world that shows this detail except for some NFS maps. The blue dot was our camp and the next pic explains itself!

Kendrick Map.jpg

Kendrick Campsite2.jpg

Edited by jd1923
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

I have several THOUSAND USGS Maps in my  Geological 'library'.  If you want to find 'good rocks' you have to know where to find them... theory.  My wife and I enjoy what we call 'The Hunt'. We like looking for interesting rocks, minerals, fossils and even find items that hunter's lose while hunting.

Easter Egg Hunter's syndrome.  The hunt in the Wilderness never is a one day experience.  I can even identify what we find...

Cedar Breaks, Utah is 10,200 feet elevation.  I said 7,800 feet... wrong.  Go through Cedar City, Utah and about half way through town you will find the turn to the East to Cedar Breaks. When it is Hot in Cedar City... you will not be camped at Cedar Breaks.

Geological Maps are also great to find obscure camp sites, but what was being mined or weathering out afterwards.  Great exercise, as well.  Your lungs at 10,200 feet improve your ability when down to your elevation at home.  Really...

DSCN3186.jpg

DSCN5280.jpg

DSCN0946.jpg

DSCN3023.jpg

DSCN2443.jpg

• Like 3