Is a solar isolator/disconnect switch required with solar suitcase

I'm adding a Renogy 400W solar suitcase and onboard Victron 100/30 charge controller to my solar setup via the existing Zamp solar port. The existing Zamp connection/setup does not have a solar disconnect like my roof top solar has. However, the stock Zamp setup is geared towards an external solar panel/suitcase with integrated charge controller. So, is a solar disconnect required with a ground deployed suitcase and onboard charge controller? My concern is, it might cause an arc if no disconnect switch and I remove/pull the solar suitcase connector from the Zamp external connector.   
image.thumb.jpeg.bdae8537d00bab04bac73599eb4e1bb3.jpeg

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, rich.dev said:

I'm adding a Renogy 400W solar suitcase and onboard Victron 100/30 charge controller to my solar setup via the existing Zamp solar port. The existing Zamp connection/setup does not have a solar disconnect like my roof top solar has. However, the stock Zamp setup is geared towards an external solar panel/suitcase with integrated charge controller. So, is a solar disconnect required with a ground deployed suitcase and onboard charge controller? My concern is, it might cause an arc if no disconnect switch and I remove/pull the solar suitcase connector from the Zamp external connector.   
image.thumb.jpeg.bdae8537d00bab04bac73599eb4e1bb3.jpeg

Hull #193 did not have an OEM supplied disconnect, so I would get a ladder out and cover the solar panels with a tarp or moving blanket.  That process got old in a hurry, so I added a disconnect between the panels and CC.  There are lots of choices for this task, but this what I used.

Mossey

IMG_1275.thumb.jpeg.8f1ec4ee48cf17584952d80bed268441.jpegIMG_1273.thumb.jpeg.a20c2f70578c30d407dd988ad8c1b0e7.jpeg

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Thanks Mossey, I understand you need a disconnect for the permanently mounted rooftop solar. Sorry if I wasn’t clear in my original post. I have the factory 400W solar on the roof with Victron MPPT 100/50 CC and disconnect in the cubby above the street side bed. I now want to add an additional 400W Renogy suitcase to connect with the stock outside Zamp port per my above sketch. Do I need a disconnect for this setup? Like I said in my original post, my concern is plugging in and out the external suitcase might cause an arc in the external Zamp connection and solar suitcase plug if there's no disconnect switch between the Zamp port and new Victron 100/300 CC. 

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

Why not just cover the Victron or lay it face down so it is not producing power before disconnecting, if you are concerned?

• Like 3

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

Any reason for installing the charge controller for the suitcase panels in the trailer?   

Steve H & Mary Allyn W

San Antonio, TX

2022 LE II Hull #969 "Un Œuf", 2021 MB Sprinter 3500 "Polly", 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8L diesel "Max"

9 minutes ago, Steve and MA said:

Any reason for installing the charge controller for the suitcase panels in the trailer?

To reduce voltage loss, here are a Couple videos explaining it. 

…….and

• Thanks 1

Truma water heater & AC

That makes sense, and with only 15' of 8 AWG wire connected directly to the panels the voltage drop before reaching the CC will be minimal.  

• Like 1

Steve H & Mary Allyn W

San Antonio, TX

2022 LE II Hull #969 "Un Œuf", 2021 MB Sprinter 3500 "Polly", 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8L diesel "Max"

• Moderators
On 4/27/2024 at 9:38 AM, rich.dev said:

Do I need a disconnect for this setup? Like I said in my original post, my concern is plugging in and out the external suitcase might cause an arc in the external Zamp connection and solar suitcase plug if there's no disconnect switch between the Zamp port and new Victron 100/300 CC. 

I think a disconnect is a good idea whether it is required or not.  My Furrion external solar port, which I installed, does not have a dedicated disconnect, but it does have a 10A inline fuse.  My Renogy100W suitcase panels with onboard CC are foldable as the name suggests and that’s what I do.  I work the cable connections from the external solar port out towards the panels with the MC4 connections last.  I think the MC4 connectors are less likely to arc, but I still like the manual breaker solution.  Now you just need to figure out where to put it.

Mossey

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”