Yet Another Bike Rack Mod

Posted (edited)

I've looked at everyone's designs and decided that I liked the ones that utilize the existing square tubing on each side of the rear deck. The engineer in me just couldn't handle mounting a rack in the existing receiver. Not that it won't work but, I really wanted to minimize the distance from the rear of the trailer as well as the height. I ended up using a router to bring down the 2" aluminum tubing about .040" on each side for the inserted section. Next time I will pay a shop to mill it since it was time consuming. I also cut out the bolt clearance slots with a circular saw after drilling holes at the end of the slots. I guess I should probably post pictures of that as well but, there are some others who have done a way better job than I. Each 1UP bike tray is secured with 3 SST carriage bolts in the T slot on each end along with washers and lock nuts. There are center carriage bolts that go through the 2" tubing and the channel and then 2 carriage bolts on each clamp. I just couldn't trust one bolt through the square tubing even though some of the roof racks run that way. The two main tubes will be trimmed once I determine where I want to mount the rear brace. Brace, license plate mount, and lights next. Finished up wiring the Starlink yesterday. Almost rally ready...

Ollie rack 1.jpg

Ollie rack 2.jpg

Edited by Half Fast Hugo
  • Like 6

2021 LE II - Hull 922 - "Ollie Be Back"

2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
12 hours ago, Half Fast Hugo said:

Finished up wiring the Starlink yesterday. Almost rally ready...

You're going to love the SL!  Since D still works (from home) - SL makes the Casablanca home no matter where we find ourselves - totally gives us more options for "time on the road."  Did you convert yours to 12vDC?  Just curious...

Travel safe - see you at the rally!  Cheers!

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

1 hour ago, MAX Burner said:

Did you convert yours to 12vDC?  Just curious...

Travel safe - see you at the rally!  Cheers!

Haven't converted to 12v yet. Ordered the hardware but probably won't have it before we head south. Works great so far but we have it at our house already as it was the best option for our rural location. Cheers!

• Like 1

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

Just now, DaveAndBecky_NorthernMI said:

Looking good. I totally agree with @MAX Burner Starlink is a game-changer. Based on second picture, your tow vehicle might need some attention before heading out! 🤪

LOL! My son was doing a brake job on his truck at my house. Thought that might get mentioned!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

Nice work! That's the route I originally wanted to go with my rack. But we wanted the option to move the rack to the truck, so went with the 2" conversion, instead.

• Like 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

2 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

Nice work! That's the route I originally wanted to go with my rack. But we wanted the option to move the rack to the truck, so went with the 2" conversion, instead.

Nice to be able to swap them out for sure. I already have two other racks that hold 3 and 6 bikes respectively and I don't want to put more than two on the back of the Ollie so this seemed like the most reasonable way to do it although not exactly cost effective!

• Like 1

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

6 hours ago, DaveAndBecky_NorthernMI said:

Looking good. I totally agree with @MAX Burner Starlink is a game-changer. Based on second picture, your tow vehicle might need some attention before heading out! 🤪

Wheels are overrated.  😂🤣. As long as he has three, he should be good to go.

John

• Haha 4

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

7 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

But we wanted the option to move the rack to the truck, so went with the 2" conversion, instead.

100% concur, Steve - same rationale here...  We're hauling our two cruisers to the rally - Oscar and Magnus get connected to the seat post lanyards and trot along with us.  It's actually fairly hilarious watching the "dog/bike ride" drill.  You'll see.  HA! 

Screenshot2024-05-07at6_16_29AM.thumb.png.f5f225c4d553bf835124292c4eb388c5.png

Screenshot2024-05-07at6_21_51AM.thumb.png.c75ca0b2e62123c85c66500dfeed816f.png

Greetings from Ft. Smith - Hohenwald tomorrow...

Safe travels, ALL!

• Like 3

• 2022 TUNDRA

3 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

100% concur, Steve - same rationale here...  We're hauling our two cruisers to the rally - Oscar and Magnus get connected to the seat post lanyards and trot along with us.  It's actually fairly hilarious watching the "dog/bike ride" drill.  You'll see.  HA! 

Two bikes, two knuckleheads, two adults (maybe just D), do you always do everything in twos?

• Wow 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Posted (edited)

....well, in our world, "ONE is NONE and TWO is ONE."

Edited by MAX Burner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2022 TUNDRA

1 hour ago, DaveAndBecky_NorthernMI said:

@John Welte and who needs brakes, they just slow you down!🤩

Dealerships add so many things when they're trying to close the deal.  Brakes, wheels, rear seats on quad cab trucks.  You get the idea.  It's all marketing.

John

• Haha 2

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png