Bike rack alternative

I think that I may try using the attached bike rack with it adjusted so it rests on the bumper box for additional support. The spare tire bracket is massively strong like other fittings on my 2021 LE2, so I believe that it should work just fine. Since I will need to take off the spare tire cover, I'm going to use a separate license plate lighted bracket attached to the rack. I measured my two standard bikes and their tires will be just above the hinged bumper when hung on the rack. Any thoughts? Thanks, Joe/769

Screenshot_20240507_170528_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.12ad3165a1954d39693db9176aa1cf9a.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
2 hours ago, Just Joe said:

Any thoughts? Thanks, Joe/769

Screenshot_20240507_170528_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.12ad3165a1954d39693db9176aa1cf9a.jpg

I think it really depends upon how secure you want your bikes and what the weight capacity is of the rack. I'm not sure how that one actually attaches. My heaviest bike is an emtb that weighs 39 pounds and is well within the capacity of the rack I'm building. However, I love to see things overbuilt and I don't want a bike falling off going down the interstate. I've seen it happen and it does horrible things to carbon fiber frames! Bottom line is I wouldn't trust it with my bikes but that doesn't mean it won't work. There's lots of movement on the back end of a trailer.

Ollie Bikes 1.jpg

• Like 3

2021 LE II - Hull 922 - 2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

@Half Fast Hugo your build is excellent!

I'm thinking if I build a mount like yours, I can haul my '03 Honda CRF230 (it's an old man's Honda 250, detuned with electric starter added). It weighs 230 LBS (please those that worry, do not warn me about the weight limit OTT puts on their punny 1 1/2" hitch receiver). OTT has crazy strength built into the rear, with multiple frame crossmembers, etc. It all depends on your GTWR and resulting hitch weight when you add more weight to the rear.

Anybody want to buy my rear OEM hitch, that for hull #113 was a full 2" receiver? It's sitting in the loft of my shed since I have no use for it. Loved bicycles all my life, but for the heavy climbs and descents of Arizona, I prefer a bike that can climb a 20% grade with combustion engine power (and an e-bike just doesn't cut it, old but not that old).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

On 5/7/2024 at 8:12 PM, jd1923 said:

I'm thinking if I build a mount like yours, I can haul my '03 Honda CRF230

... @Half Fast Hugo - I'm thinking I could get my '85 Beemer on that bad boy and nary a wobble going down the roadway!

• Love 1

image.jpeg.d2bb1fb57cf69bbe58358f874b3bbff4.jpeg

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

1 minute ago, MAX Burner said:

... @Half Fast Hugo - I'm thinking I could get my '85 Beemer on that bad boy and nary a wobble going down the roadway!

Let’s do it Art! Your Beemer and my Honda dirt. The trip we just finished, I could have ridden dirt trails for miles!

I will do it sooner or later. For now you have a great bike rack too.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Actually, I'd consider a Honda Trail 90 or 110 for that rack....  How cool would that be on the dirt with that insanely low gear?  It's probably about the same weight as a couple Ebikes, right?

Screenshot2024-05-10at20_42_39.png.2a098a4b8f2e22ae1fc8d3d1aa04a37e.png

Edited by MAX Burner
ADDED AN IMAGE
  • Like 2

• 2022 TUNDRA

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

Actually, I'd consider a Honda Trail 90 or 110 for that rack....  How cool would that be on the dirt with that insanely low gear?  It's probably about the same weight as a couple Ebikes, right?

Love ya buddy, but you're not getting my old a$$ on a Trail 90! 🤣

Two e-bikes are 150+ LBS, more likely closer to 200 with accessories and keep in mind the rack weighs LBS. My '03 Honda CRF230 (bought barely used in VA late '03, totally rebuilt in 2019, new performance springs, new tires, and much more) weighs 238 dry, let's call it 260 LBS with oil and a full tank (1 gallon gasoline). We have ridden dirt in most of the Prescott NF. Chris cruised a Polaris 600 quad for years, though I prefer 2-wheels.

I can make this work. Will post a mod at some point. I do need to measure our current tongue weight and front to back balance. OTT has built the frame structure for this with 7-8 crossmembers rear of the wheels. It would be great!

Recently, to test I climbed on the back bumper of the Oliver, jumping up and down hard with myself of 225 LBS. It was solid as a rock, though a bike rack would be further back, a longer lever per the center of the trailer wheels.

Edited by jd1923
Added last paragraph
  • Like 1

BTW, I would ONLY think of this kind of HD bike rack, mounting a relatively heavy dirt bike, AFTER I do some of the upgrades that @MAX Burner has completed; Alcan Springs and 5200 LB axles with 12" brakes and perhaps Monroe 555025 shocks if it's determined they would be a good upgrade and fit. There's quite a bit of money in doing all this and it makes sense to do this work all at the same time, for me time is TBD.

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 12:02 PM, jd1923 said:

and it makes sense to do this work all at the same time

Absolutely, makes total sense, JD!  

Had we not planned to attend the owner's rally, we probably would have lived with the 3.5k#-ers for a while.  But here's a consideration - the D52 Dexters (or the older D44's and D35s for that matter) are custom cut to OTT width specifications (they're only approx. 62.5" flange-to-flange).  I suppose one could order an OTT spec'd set of axles from Dexter in Sparta, TN but that could be costly for a single run off.  We have not contacted Dexter to learn what the one-off cost/time schedule/shipping costs would be - maybe another owner could do that.  

Since headed eastbound from NM anyway, we decided to contact OTT directly, and coordinated with Jason Essary to acquire our axle kit.  Timing was just right with the rally scheduled for next week.

Our approach to the running gear upgrade became a phased approach instead of "all at one time in our shop" primarily due to logistics and cost.  Alcan springs first, 5.2k# axles, then shocks (only by happenstance, not planning) - & the Cooper Discoverers only have about 15-16k on them.  As far as labor costs, my time is free for me...  We ate the cost of travel to Hohenwald because we planned on attending the owner's rally anyway - the entire running gear upgrade worked out well for us.  HA!

Edited by MAX Burner
added clarifying info...
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 2022 TUNDRA

2 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

But here's a consideration - the D52 Dexters are custom cut to OTT width specifications (they're only approx. 62.5" flange-to-flange).  I suppose one could order an OTT spec'd set of axles from Dexter in Sparta, TN but that could be costly for a single run off…

I forgot about the custom axle length. That does complicate matters. What you’re doing could be me next year. An OTT visit tied in with the 2025 Rally, get my FWT fixed too like you. Are you doing the CGI Detailing too? I’m getting rather jealous of Casablanca #226. You know that’s 2x hull #113!

• Haha 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, jd1923 said:

I’m getting rather jealous of Casablanca #226. You know that’s 2x hull #113!

Sure - but

that means that you only have to do 1/2 as much stuff in order to still have a great Ollie!😇

Bil

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

For anyone who doesn't already have a bumper mounted system, this spare tire mounted bike rack is a great option for taking along two standard bikes. There are even holes already in the rack for a license plate bracket. The fully assembled rack was $120, and the license plate bracket and a two-pack of 1" ratchet tie down staps were each $10 on-line. I simply reversed the center mounting plate so that the bottom of the rack would curve toward the camper and rest on the bumper box for additional support. I used the additional staps for additional support, but they really weren't needed. There is a keyed twist lock included with the rack and I'll use one of our cable locks wrapped around the bikes. Our bikes are less than 30 lbs each, so the entire assembly appears to be well supported and secure. Joe/769

20240512_154557.thumb.jpg.f52d653707d37dbe764e8333a28a3ba8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Just Joe said:

For anyone who doesn't already have a bumper mounted system, this spare tire mounted bike rack is a great option for taking along two standard bikes...

Whoa, Pilgram! 🤣 Did you look at what/where the spare tire bolt is connected? This design has the weight of 1-2 bikes on one (1) threaded bolt! What is it, just a 1/2" bolt?

Came back from our last trip and the spare fiberglass housing was loose, the large, winged nut to hold the spare was also loose many turns. This bolt is designed to hold up the spare upright while its weight is held by the frame below.

I'm not crawling into the Oliver basement/trunk to see what is supporting the main bolt for the spare, but you certainly should do so before you go on a Rocky Mountain excursion, or anywhere else. It may look good in the driveway but as a seasoned engineer, and 45 years a car mechanic, I'm not seeing it! Do you due diligence. The downside would be your precious bikes and spare tire bouncing down the highway, leaving a hole in the Oliver fiberglass hull the size of the bolt head and washer, or whatever support bracket may be there.

To boot, ask anybody here, I'm more the risk-taking person, but I would not risk this! When you lose your bikes, you will not know it until your next stop. Keep on checking, keep that one wing-nut tight. Actually, the tighter you make that bolt, the more likely it will bust the fiberglass.

This would drive me crazy! Certainly, I can be wrong, we all are at times. Please let us know what you experience. BTW, welcome to our Forum! God Speed and best wishes. JD

Edited by jd1923
Mostly grammar

Posted (edited)

I will add that if the total assembly is 60-70 LBS, and you ride nicer suburban roads/eastern Interstates, you should be OK. Keep in mind that in the Jeep picture shown above, the single mounting bolt is mounted to a steel frame, not fiberglass.

We just got back from 2 1/2 weeks, from here and throughout SW Utah. We would hit a cattle grate on a side road and even a simple bridge seam on a major US Hwy, and the TV and TT would bounce heavily! You try to see them coming but it will look fine and then bounce hard.

Edited by jd1923

I too was concerned, so before proceeding I crawled into the basement and there is just under a 1'x 3'x 1/4" backer plate that the approximately 1' spare tire mounting plate is through bolted to with 4 - 1/2" bolts. Since the spare tire does not rest on the bumper box when hung on mounting plate (there is a couple inch gap between the tire and the box), the addition of the bike rack actually adds back the  support of the Oliver cover by resting on the bumper box. In addition, I added the two ratchet tie down straps to absorb any stress of the assembly pulling away from the camper even though I didn't detect any movement when pulling on the rack. The weight is now being carried by three points (the massive mounting plate, the rack resting on the bumper box, and the angled ratchet straps). We stay on good roads when we travel, but I will still be checking everything regularly. I will update my post after a few trips to report what I experience. Thanks, Joe/769

• Like 3