Northern Minnesota

We are venturing into new territory this summer...Voyageurs, Isle Royale and Minnesota's North Shore. Any recommendations on things not to miss? Also, is going to Northern Angle worth the cost of the boat trip over? We aren't wanting the hassle of crossing the border into Canada in our vehicle for just a short time.

Joe and Mindy ▪️ 2019 Legacy Elite II ▪️ Hull 457

ALAZARFLILKYLAMSMONMOKTNTXUT99FFFFsm.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

Split Rock Lighthouse (two harbors, near duluth) haven't stayed there yet,  but the new Shipwreck campground gets rave reviews. Great trails and lots to do, see, and eat around Split Rock, Two Harbors, and of course, Duluth. 

Grand Marais is about as close to Canada as you'll get on the shore. Great community. My brother's in-laws live there in summers. Campground is big, right on the lake. Artsy little community, great folk school. Don't miss the big Ben Franklin. It's way more than the old dime stores of yore. Even and Oles pizza. Good walleye fish fry in any number of spots.

Come back a different route. Visit Leech Lake, Bemidji, maybe gooseberry falls, Brainerd. Little Brainerd booms in summer and also winter ice fishing season. They even have a nice (smaller) Costco. Nearby Crosby is a biicyclists paradise, and a busy little town. I enjoy poking around Nisswa too. No shortage of good food in the Brainerd area.

Avoid, if you can, going through the twin cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul.) I35 is old, and congested. I often go up through Wisconsin, but then, I have family there, too.

Have a great time. Take lots of long sleeves and long pants lightweight. Minnesota mosquitos are the unofficial state bird.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks for all the info! We do have a reservation at Split Rock Lighthouse in the Shipwreck Campground for part of our stay and it looks like a good one. I'll look into some of the other places you mentioned. I've already ordered us some of those attractive head net mosquito hats, haha. 😉

• Like 2

Joe and Mindy ▪️ 2019 Legacy Elite II ▪️ Hull 457

ALAZARFLILKYLAMSMONMOKTNTXUT99FFFFsm.jpg

If you stay at the campground in Grand Marais drive to the end of the Gunflint Trail and back. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

You may want to plan a night or two in Ely, MN. There are some nice campgrounds around there and you can always visit the Wolf Center and the Bear Center. The Soudan Underground Mine tour will take you about a 1/2 mile down for a unique tour. You may want to stop in Duluth and tour the lake freighter, the William A. Irvin. We usually take our out of town guests there and they love it. Some awesome state parks for hiking are along the way up the shore. Happy to answer any questions you may have since it's our home turf. Lots of other great ideas already given as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2021 LE II - Hull 922 - "Ollie Be Back"

2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2024 at 1:16 PM, jdmmtx said:

We are venturing into new territory this summer...Voyageurs, Isle Royale and Minnesota's North Shore.

I almost volunteered in that territory last summer, at Grand Portage National Monument. Almost... Once the park staff suggested "impenetrable clothing" to ward off the attack of mosquitoes, I decided to head elsewhere. That said, I have been to Duluth and along portions of Lake Superior and north of Ely in the Winter and it's spectacular. 

If you are near Duluth and enjoy birdwatching, there are numerous places to go, including:

Hawk Ridge   https://www.hawkridge.org/

Sax-Zim Bog   https://saxzim.org/

Near Ely there is Voyageur Outward Bound School and they have sled dogs (you can see and hear them from the road, but they don't allow you to pet them.)

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

2024.04.29 - ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYBBBBBBsm.jpg