Convection Oven Upgrade? No let's just replace the MW with an Air Fryer!

So, we've decided to do this one way or another. Don't need a microwave, as I can reheat my coffee on the stovetop and save the carcinogens of microwaves! Chris says they kill the nutrients in all foods, so she doesn't use one ever in all of her amazing cooking.

Measured our small model Emeril Air Fryer and it is the exact same dimensions, all measurements of length, width and height. Yeah, there is a heat issue that I mean to overcome.

Yanked the microwave out of our hull in about 20 minutes today. Connected the Emeril and ran the air fryer at 375 for 16 minutes today. It got hot in the end, but there is 4 1/2" above the oven and 2 1/2" left and right (thermostat wiring to the right).

I will need to raise it about 3/4" to fit the surround, but otherwise fits like a glove. I will cut some plastic off each side for the heat. I plan to fit the opening top and side with ceramic insulation made for woodburning stoves which comes in many thicknesses.

I am wondering re OTT installed convection ovens. Anybody have one? Is there any exterior venting? Hey @bugeyedriver, you wrote on Dec 19, 2023 "The Wonder Egg - Hull #14, has extra vents in the side walls behind the oven, so I have gone to the micro/conv. option." Can you show pics of this venting. This will be a fun mod for me, and Chris will love it when she gets back from her sisters visit! Check out this pic after an hour of work today!

Emeril Oven.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

Here are pictures of the two air vents in my 2008 Elite.  You can see one is located on the wall as you exit the trailer, and the other is in the galley area, on the wall to the left of the sink.  They provide passive venting from the rear of the space containing the oven.  Not sure of a source for the vents, but you get the idea and should be able to find something similar.  If you are particularly handy and inspired, consider a tiny switch activated fan mounted behind one of the vents which could turn it from a passive to an active heat protection.

Good luck! Be sure to post pictures of your finished project. 

IMG_1419.jpeg

IMG_1420.jpeg

Edited by bugeyedriver
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

We have the same vents in our 2008. Probably could find them in good stainless at Seadog.

If I carried an air fryer, I'd take it out of the cupboard for use. Actually,  I'd probably store it in a bin under the bed, or on the floor of the closet. That microwave cavity made a super pantry space for us, when we removed the never used microwave.

Screenshot_20240621_181047_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We're using the microwave (until it goes Tango Uniform) for D's movie night popcorn - which occurs around 7pm, every day.  The air fryer lives on the floor of the closet - I'm certain the AF will land in the MW garage eventually.

Cook On, All!

• Like 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

11 minutes ago, MAX Burner said:

We're using the microwave (until it goes Tango Uniform) for D's movie night popcorn - which occurs around 7pm, every day.  The air fryer lives on the floor of the closet - I'm certain the AF will land in the MW garage eventually.

Cook On, All!

Try a quality popcorn product with cooking oil in a covered pan on the stovetop or outside on the fire ring! Like D, Chris is the one for popcorn in our family.

The smell of microwave popcorn reminds me of the overused microwave in the break room of a tech company, yuk! The microwave does make it easy, but ours is already in our storage shed, gone. Our air fryer had fit well under the front dinette seat. More on the install later today!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks again @bugeyedriver and @SeaDawg. I cut vents today and got most of the upgrade finished! I went with these which I had already purchased for my heat duct project to vent the closet and basement areas: 3 Inch Vent Cover, Hon&Guan 3 Soffit Vents Exterior Round Soffit Vents with Built-in a Fly Screen for Bathroom Office Home-2PCS - Amazon.com

There were metal versions, but I thought metal would conduct heat and maybe scar the external fiberglass. 

Edited by jd1923
typos
  • Like 1

First step was to center the Emeril Air fryer. It needed to be raised about 3/4" or more, so I set it on two 2x4s with cutouts, hole drilled to hold the legs. This gave me the lift I need and a way to secure the oven. When I got the mount ready, I merely used some wood glue below and was able to then move the oven a little to get it exactly square. The next day after the glue had set, I added a couple wood screws to secure (the 2x4 in the rear was part of the original microwave installation).

Oven Mounts.jpg

• Like 3

Next step was to drill the vents. I went 1/4" or so down from the ceiling of the opening and as far back as possible. One the left side, you could only go so far back because the entry door area is further in for the flat door frame vs.  the other curved walls. Both sides took careful measuring.

Used a 2 3/4" hole saw from the inside first for positioning. After making the center mark, I drilled through with a 1/4" drill. This way I could place the hole saw mandrel into the hole and make sure the hole saw was in the best position. I used the vent on the outside, to also see that the larger outside vent surface had adequate room. Here are the results. 

Oven Vent1.jpg

Oven Vent2.jpg

• Like 3

I was putting off the work of insulating the opening. I had never done such a task or worked with ceramic insulation before. Turns out this material worked well: Amazon.com: CeraTex 3180 Blanket with Aluminum Foil Facing, 8 LB Density, 1/2" x 24" x 60" (5'), 2300°F High Temperature Insulation for Kiln Stove Furnace Glass Fusing Pizza Oven : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

After cutting the main section, top and rear in one piece, I used 3M spray adhesive to get it started and it worked better than I had expected. I finished with a power staple gun with 3/8" staples to secure it. I was afraid that the staple gun would pierce the foil layer of the insulation, so at first I used some electrical tape to help and then realized it was unnecessary (red tape at bottom).

Then I cut the two side pieces which had a curved rear, following the curve of the Oliver upper shell. I placed these in position and used a Sharpie to mark the vent holes and cut these out with scissors. Glued and stapled the left side and went without glue on the RH side, since the thermostat cable is behind that one and I may need to service that with an A/C upgrade. Really happy in how it turned out, which is often the case after days of contemplation!

I have one trim piece to fabricate which will hide the 2x4s below the oven and then remount the bezel from the original microwave, and she's done! Last step and pics tomorrow. 

Oven Insulation1.jpg

Oven Insulation2.jpg

• Like 5

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Nice.  Placing the vents at the upper portion of the space makes sense, after all, hot air rises.  Did you consider a switch activated 12 volt miniature fan to increase cooling when using the air fryer?

Edited by bugeyedriver
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

2 hours ago, bugeyedriver said:

Nice.  Placing the vents at the upper portion of the space makes sense, after all, hot air rises.  Did you consider a switch activated 12 volt miniature fan to increase cooling when using the air fryer?

I had thought about your suggestion and thank you. Thought it would be difficult to implement. You'd need a fan and encased wiring to resist temps 400+ degrees, plus the power source. There will be air flow in front and both rear corners. Depending on air movement in the cabin, one side will take over with a chimney effect, pulling from the other sides. That and this insulation designed for ovens and kilns should do it. I need to wrap up a few details and will report back later after a good test. 😂

• Like 1

Got everything done today on the air fryer installation. I put quarter-round along the base and 3M 3350 to seal all the edges and seams. Found a decent piece of angle aluminum as a trim piece to make the bottom opening look better and remounted the faceplate.

Oven Insulation3.jpg

Oven Final.jpg

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Ran a valid test today. Had to wait 24 hours for the glue to set on the vents. Cooked hash brown patties for our breakfast today. The Emeril was set on air fryer, 380 degrees for 21 minutes.

The vents were just warm to the touch, not hot. The RUUVi sensor mounted above the Dometic thermostat on the right upper outer wall of the oven went up just one degree, kicked the A/C on. The cabinet facing, in front just above the oven, was a little warmer than the vents, yet I could still rest the back of my hand on it NP. The kitchen cabinet above was not hot at all due to the heat insulation wrap installed. 

I'd say this mod passed the test! 😂 We can now have crispy air-fried foods on the road, no setup time dragging a heavy oven out of storage, no extra time cleaning up. This way, we will likely use it daily when camping, like the larger Emeril we have in our home kitchen.

Anybody else interested in this oven? Check out the Amazon used price at $80! They also list a "very good" one for $85, that is new but not in original packaging: Amazon.com: Emeril Lagasse Everyday 360 Air Fryer, 360° Quick Cook Technology, XL capacity,12 Pre-Set Cooking Functions including Bake, Rotisserie. Broil, Pizza, Slow Cook, Toaster and Much More, Stainless Steel : Home & Kitchen

Hash Browns.jpg

Edited by jd1923
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, MAX Burner said:

Yum, yum!

Always loved these, ever since potato cakes at Arby's back in the 60-70s.

Art, I've seen some of the great feasts you cook in your pictures here!

@jd1923 - We absolutely count on at least one feast daily; if there's others around we'll do an AM and PM food fest!  HA!

• Like 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Glad you like it. Good job on the insulation.  I'm sure it's helpful. 

I probably would have used stainless vents, to be the same as ours.

I do love our air fryers, at home. Mini convection oven, without the he whole downstairs heat.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

41 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Glad you like it. Good job on the insulation.  I'm sure it's helpful. 

I probably would have used stainless vents, to be the same as ours.

I do love our air fryers, at home. Mini convection oven, without the he whole downstairs heat.

Thank you, Sherry. Yours and @bugeyedriver's looked like cover plates and I need something that would insert 2" deep so that heat would not go outside the microwave cabinet and behind the wall. There is a ~1/2" gap between. I found SS choices too, but feared the metal would conduct the heat and I wanted the heat to pass through. Yours must have something to seal the inner area when they custom built the early Ollies.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bugeyedriver said:

Nicely thought out project and installation.  Well done. Enjoy your air fryer creations! 

Very much appreciate your insight and feedback! More so, looking forward to meeting you Pete, Bosker and #14. at our Texas Rally coming up very soon! 😂

Edited by jd1923
  • Like 1