Front hitch for backing the trailer in

John Welte

Hi all, I have a tight parking spot next to the garage and thought a front mounted hitch would make it easier to maneuver the trailer into the spot.  E-trailer has one that would fit my 2017 Ford Expedition EL, but the specs say it's only good for 500 pounds of vertical force.  If anyone uses a front hitch, what did you do to make it work?  Thanks

• Like 3

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
9 hours ago, John Welte said:

specs say it's only good for 500 pounds of vertical force. 

Not a big concern at driveway speeds. Check with a local trailer shop. They would have a variety of choices and could weld the mount.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

1 hour ago, jd1923 said:

Not a big concern at driveway speeds. Check with a local trailer shop. They would have a variety of choices and could weld the mount.

That was my thought too.  I would think that their 500 pound limit takes into account the forces on the hitch of a static weight of 500 pounds hitting some movement.  With highway movement that weight would be higher on the hitch.  From physics the formula F=ma would explain it I would think.  F is force, m=mass, a=acceleration.  I would think that at driveway speeds it would be ok too.  Thanks for your comment.

John

• Like 2

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderator+

I've had front

12 hours ago, John Welte said:

Hi all, I have a tight parking spot next to the garage and thought a front mounted hitch would make it easier to maneuver the trailer into the spot.  E-trailer has one that would fit my 2017 Ford Expedition EL, but the specs say it's only good for 500 pounds of vertical force.  If anyone uses a front hitch, what did you do to make it work?  Thanks

I have had a front hitch on every vehicle I've owned since 1992. Some I made myself, but I've bought the last three. None I've bought are rated greater than 500 pounds of hitch weight. I just don't worry about it. My tongue weight on The Outlaw Oliver is probably in the 650 pound range, I've not measured it lately. But I am only moving the trailer about 100 feet to get it into its garage and, as everybody always says when describing their tow vehicle, it does just fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Lucy, Maggie and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

FWIW:  We bought our front hitch from eTrailer about 6 years ago - used it on the RAM 3500 to get the AS into the cave.  For us, it was an absolute game changer.  Whereas backing the TT into the somewhat "narrow" 10-ft wide door it may have taken a few tries to get the perfect line-up.  With the the front hitch it was "1 and done" - piece of cake.  The 500# vertical weight limitation wasn't an issues for the 30-foot travel distance.  We highly recommend the front hitch option for tight quarters.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

I have a narrow 90 degree turn getting into my driveway, then I have to make a 60 degree turn to the opposite direction right away. The RV port is only 25 ft from the road. I practiced probably 20-30 times backing up normally into the spot had chosen before we built Hummi's home. I had the location marked out with cones and paint. I got it into the area twice without going out of bounds.  I decided that putting the trailer through a wall  greater than 90% was not going to cut it.  I was wanting a heavy duty bumper to stop deer ruining the front front end. That settled it, and I purchased a BuckStop front bumper with the hitch built in.

It is the slickest way to park the trailer.  I can park the trailer within a couple of inch of where I want it every time.

The only thing I wish was the hitch was off set to the passengers side by about a foot. This would make it easier to look around the trailer from the drivers seat.  I also use the hitch to carry bicycles on the front.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648