Truma tankless water heater option - yes or no?

John E Davies

If you plan to camp in RV parks, and use their facilities, don’t bother with the upgrade. You’ll still have to check the anode, and drain to winterize, but there’s a tiny bit of winterizing with the tankless, too.

I actually see it the other way around.  The Truma is great with hookups since you can take as long of a shower as you want, provided you've got enough propane.  And if you aren't going off pavement, you aren't as likely to experience its fragility.  It's boondocking where the tradeoffs have to be weighed.  Yes, it's more efficient with propane, but it's also more fragile, complicated and difficult to get repaired.  A traditional water tank is dead simple and can be repaired most anywhere, or by yourself; is sturdier, and has less to go wrong.  I'm on the fence whether the Truma was the right choice for us, though I don't necessarily regret getting it.  But my early enthusiasm has definitely been tempered.  I'll probably feel better about it once it's out of warranty and I can crack it open myself to make repairs.  Right now, it's a mystery box and I hate that.

And don't forget that with the water tank you get an extra 5(?) gallons of water storage, too.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Overland, you're right in the endless shower idea. I guess I'm guaging on our van camping, where we always use the campground shower facilities. In that scenario, it doesn't even matter if you have a water heater, at all ...

Dishes are easy with a kettle.

The extra 5 or 6 gallons are only accessible if you drain the Atwood into a bucket, is my understanding. To me, it was an extra 40 pounds to drag around for no real reason...

The endless shower isn't part of our camping, but I can see the luxury...

The endless rv park shower  lux makes sense for RV park camping with the truma, I guess. Our Girard runs only on gas, so the free electric heating of water is lost in full hookup situations...

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The verdict is...... I went with the 6 gallon water heater. It was a tough decision. I got to Hohenwald  early this morning and met with Heather.  I went with the standard hot water heater.  Upgrades that were made were upholstery, Micro-Easy start, Sat/TV Antenna, Trojan AGM, Countertops, 30 lb propane and quick connects, Solar, Inverter, Back Up Camera. I called Southern Mattress before I went in to Oliver. Will be getting mattress(s) for twin beds from them. They were great.

Only thing I am second guessing myself is getting Propane Quick Disconnect for $299 and not the 30 amp convenience connection. Your input is appreciated on this matter. I cook with a Cobb Charcoal Grill at home.

I sincerely appreciate all the input from this forum. I am a complete rookie on this RV stuff. It is nice to be associated with this group. I even met Top Gun this morning. His input was invaluable.  Trailer goes in production on September 18 and delivery in December. Thanks to all!