Internet chatter Something on the horizon?

Chixter

Carole & I love the Oliver LE2.  As I mentioned, it is on my very short list.  We are taking a hard look at AS as well, a large AS dealer right here in Ocean County, if it ever stops raining.  The only consideration that moves us is purely size.  The day we saw the Oliver up close, we loved it.  Both of us said if they only made one just a tad larger....now after being on various forums this one included, I've got a sense that Oliver may be considering a larger trailer 26-28'??? Those of you at the rally; did this ever come up?  Is there any talk of such a thing from the folks at the factory?  I believe if Oliver made that investment, they would not be sorry.  Many AS owners on the Airforum who have seen Olivers stated they would buy one today if it was only bigger.  I imagine it would be expensive as even the LE2 is pricey per sf.  But I wonder......what if?

Ah, twofootitis... Luckily, I got a vaccine. I would be surprised, while all businesses are about making money, part of that is supply and demand, their demand is good and they would have learned the first time around about the ability to shut down depending on circumstances.

I suppose if they stopped doing the single axle, because there was no demand, so they still only produced two sizes.

As for airstreamers saying that, very few would actually do it, the majority of them buy their trailer "because of the spectacular view out ALL the windows" and I don't see a molded fiberglass trailer incorporating that kind of window setup, so that would become the next excuse... "If only they had more windows" in fact some say that now.

My 2¢

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

“If only they had more windows”

Thats one of the things that bothers me about the AS (among other things) many windows, not thermal-pane at least not in the model we are looking at.  Pretty to look out of but interior temp regulation?

• Thanks 1

I talked to Scott Oliver at the rally and he said they were looking into a larger trailer, rumor has it that it may be a 31' and 8' wide but probably won't happen anytime soon, that would be  large investment in tooling.

Marc

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

That spectacular view is available as soon as you step foot outside the trailer, whatever brand.

Big back window in our little original trailer is often amazing. Just raise the shade, when camped with a view..

All of our trailers live big on the outside, which is where I prefer to live.

Just saying. .  .

Sherry

• Thanks 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Yea tooling up for that, huge investment.  Grady White boats went to the tune of 7million on new molds and such for the SeaV2 hull.  A 30' Ollie would probably be very heavy as well.  After reflecting I agree, a lot of the charm is in the size.  And Carole and I are not the sit in the camper types.  And there is the ease of towing and maneuvering.  It's good to have forums like this on all venues, so much information can be obtained from owners, without sales hype.  Thanks to all.

I love the windows in our Airstream.  What would prevent Oliver from adding more windows in a larger trailer?  As far as size goes The best selling Airstream is a 25' model.  The extra three feet in length is big, but even bigger is the 8 foot width.  A 25 foot x 8 foot Ollie would be sweet.  31' maybe too long.

IMG_1123.thumb.jpg.689ff399b9bd9588ca3d6b68eb042c13.jpg

IMG_0616.thumb.png.13f193e14884407a5c114ee1c7a949e2.png

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

We're going to look at a FC25 FB Twin.  There is a big AS dealer just 20 miles from me.  Thats all they sell, although they take and sell trade ins of various types.  I figure we have to get a close inspection of this also.  I wouldn't want anything larger.  I asked about thermal windows the FC does not offer them, IDK if other models do.  We are not extreme weather campers, on very hot days Id rather be out on the water but we do like our AC for those muggy nights and Fla trips.  In a way I'm fortunate to have some time to compare, right now our travel times are extremely limited due to care of my 84 yr old father in law.  We are lucky if we can get away for 3 days.  But this too shall pass and we want to make the best decision for our needs when the time comes. Time = education right now.

Chixter.  If you decide on the AS definitely buy used.  We found a terrific deal on a 2007 International CCD 28 for only $34,500.  After some redecorating, new furniture, 16 inch wheels with Michelins, and a 500 WATT solar system we are still under $50,000 and enjoying a very comfortable trailer.  We have camped in 95 degrees here in Florida, and 20 degrees at Grand Canyon with snow on the roof.  Always comfortable.

The ONLY negative part of the AS is maintenance.  They do require regular sealing with some Dicor, or Vulkem.  That's where molded fiberglass wins hands down, and is the only reason I would consider giving up my AS for a larger Oliver.

Travel Trailer-TT is for traveling. My brother has a 30' Cougar and after living in it six months in Texas every year he's glad to get out of it. It's his second home. My ideology is completely different as buying and using a travel trailer should be. I can pull into a station and fill up easily with my Ollie. I can pull into a Mcdonalds, most of them and park on the backside with ease. I can hook up and be on my way in a few minutes. My brother can do none of the above. And my trailer will last for years, hopefully. I can also live out in the boonies for some time and so can my brother, but it's much easier for me. So, one must make the choice on what you want to do and how to do it. My brother was upset that I was buying a smaller trailer, so I had to explain that my ideology was different than his. I'm happy I chose the Oliver.

J-Rhett

Oliver Legacy Elite II (Irog)

1995 Ford F-250 x4 Turbo Diesel

Trek Bikes, Hobie Cat Kayak

• Moderators

You know, j Rhett, we're happy for many of the same reasons .We thought that 9 years ago, and think the same today.

Small trailer, small space. We often get better views because we fit in tiny spaces.

As for lasting, well, we are on 9.5 years. Tenth spring camping season, and loving our little trailer.

S

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

There will always be buyers that want the biggest thing they can tow or afford.  And that's fine.  I just have to laugh now when I see a huge trailer going down the road, practically blocking out the sun.  There is no way any of those large trailers could get in to my favorite places and the difficulty of towing them around would be very tiring.  I keep forgetting mine is even back there.  Not to mention most of them are very poorly built.  All that effort and money for short term comfort.

I certainly didn't compromise on size to get an Oliver.  No way.  It's plenty big enough and it has already been able to get into sites that larger units could not, with no compromise on comfort.   I lived on a sailboat for many years and the trick was having everything I wanted, in an efficient manner, that let me get underway on short notice.  If a boat or a trailer isn't easy to use, sooner or later, it won't get used.

Size has already been an issue in places like the Grand Canyon, Bristlecone Pines, the eastern sierra area and, my all time favorite, Saline valley.  In all of those places, it was getting out to see the sights and having friends over to sit outside that mattered.  But inside an Ollie is a very nice place to spend time and we even have movie nights in ours, out in the garage.

Oliver might be able to sell lots of bigger trailers to folks with different wants, and they are in business to make money.  So, it will be fun to see what they do.  Just like with boat manufacturers, you can look at different models from the same company and decide what suits you best.  Cool.  A larger Oliver would probably be more luxury oriented and have to compete head to head with AS as a luxury apartment.  Less practical for camping and exponentially more expensive.

• Thanks 4

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Just more proof that we are all different, and how wonderful to be able to choose that which suits our lifestyle.  God bless America for giving us the freedom to pursue the lifestyle we so enjoy.

"Hail to the rest of the road"

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
. . .  “Hail to the rest of the road”

Did an Airstream owner just say "hail"?        Aaauuuggghhh!!!   ;)

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg