Eggcampers

tigrrr

Hi Everyone. Does anyone have any experience with Eggcampers, made in Michigan? Next question- What R-factor insulation can be stuffed (sprayed) into the oliver? Would love to heat it with a match. Thank you in advance.

signed,

Tigrrr

Hi tigrrr,

I was hoping one of the more technical experienced folks on this forum would have responded to your question, since they have not, I'll tell you what I know. (being the least technical person on the forum, don't expect to be wowed by big words!) Nothing is "stuffed into or sprayed " in between the shells of the Oliver. Oliver uses only the best insulation available, layers of thinsulate and lizard skin. I know from Chuck that Lizard skin is what Nascar engineers and drivers use to protect the drivers from the intense heat of the engine during racing. Oliver Technologies does not try to wow you with wall to wall-floor-to-ceiling carpeting as sufficient insulation! They use only the best and alto it might take 2 matches instead of one to warm the Oliver, know that the Oliver will retain that warmth for a very long time! Our experience is that with the double hull construction, double paned glass windows, and with all the water, black tanks, grey tanks, and plumbing enclosed in-between the bottom hulls to help prevent freezing, the Oliver is indeed as snug as you ever expected to be in a travel trailer. We spent several nights in the near freezing temps and the furnace in the Oliver kept us toasty and warm all night! No drafty windows anymore either!

I have no idea what an egg-camper is........ if it's a brand name, it's one I'm not familiar with. Personally, I thought all of us with fiberglass egg travel trailers whether it was an Oliver, Scamp, Casita,,or Big Foot.......... I thought that all owners of such were called "egg campers"! But remember, I warned you that I am the least technical member of the forum! ;)

geri

• Moderator+

Hi Tigrrr,

Having only picked up the Outlaw Oliver this past weekend, I have no experience with cold weather usage of same. However, here in the balmy South, I can attest to its warm weather characteristics.

After we arrived home Sunday, we pulled the trailer into the driveway and left it sitting. I knew its location would put it into direct sunlight most of every day so I slid a couple of the windows open slightly, opened the Fantastic Fan and set the thermostat to come on when the temp went up. The next morning I went out to check on it fully expecting it to be like an oven on the inside. The fan was running and it was actually cooler inside than outside. I worked inside for about an hour or so and the breeze being pulled thru the windows was so pleasant I decided not to turn on the A/C.

That being said, theoretically if the insulation has the ability to retard heat from being transmitted into the shell, it should have the same capability to retard heat from escaping the shell.

Overall, I'm very pleased (and pleasantly surprised) with the insulation qualities.

Hope this helps....

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Steve,

I'm with you on the hot weather liveability! I'm often surprised when I go out to the camper and find that it's much cooler inside than outside... Even with it closed up... My van heats up like a greenhouse in the driveway!!! I do pull the privacy shades down when it's closed up, and I suspect that helps too... But the double hull and insulation make a huge difference.

We've spent some nights boondocking in the mountains when the temps dropped into the high 20's, low 30's, and had no problems. The furnace has a thermostat, so it comes on when necessary, but not too often. I'm sure I'll have more to report next year... But we haven't done any true winter camping yet. (Since we're both from cold weather country... Minnesota and upstate New York... we'll be testing it out.) The tanks being enclosed in the double hull, and the insulation used, give us confidence of 4-season capability.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.