Early Christmas in the South?

topgun2

• Moderators

I chose this area (Western North Carolina) of the country to live in for many reasons.  One of those reasons was that it had all four of the seasons - Spring - Summer - Fall - Winter.  However, during the summer the high temperature rarely hits 90 and if it does, when the sun goes over the mountain it cools right back down to something more tolerable.  And, in the Winter, the little town I live in has an average annual snowfall of between 6 and 7 inches total.

The day before yesterday the weather forecast was for temperatures to be in the low to mid 30's (average for this time of year is low 50's) and for 1 to 2 inches of snow that would not stick to the roads.  Well, now it is about 30 hours later, it is STILL snowing and there is 7 to 9 inches on the ground!

Sure is pretty though.

Bill

6tx8ihogepjxm6gnhxge0ul58gh13zpz.jpg.3b9398d1053654075c66209760ac1a62.jpg

• Thanks 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Snow here in south Texas is rare but we had some this week, I even saw there was snow in Big Bend NP.  Having lived where it snows a lot, this is not much. But, it’s a big deal down here!

cishxuu72sshv99yl3lrddxd4xxqband.jpg.021838133e569697c07fb5c428cd2fd9.jpg

pja2x90nm6c3dy91y51fmyanapm6z91e.jpg.4a20fb505afcb723dca7b2e39a00781e.jpg

Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Heard this morning there was 15"  of fresh snow in NC somewhere. Snow in Atlanta, Houston, and parts of Mexico. Freeze warnings into mid Florida. Was thinking I should mow my lawn here in Maine one more time, but maybe I should put the plow on the truck? Maybe hook up the Oliver and head north? A White Merry Christmas is a good possibility....

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

As of 10:30 am Saturday there are reports that Highlands, NC has 18 inches on the ground.  To make matters interesting, the temps are forecast to be down to 24 by 8 pm.  So, the roads will certainly freeze.  Should be fun here in these here mountains for a day or two.  With the wet snow the sled goes like crazy - at least until they plow the street.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

MY Tacoma has produced flawlessly for 235,ooo miles and still runs like a Swiss watch after towing The Wonder Egg for 112,000 miles.  Since I tend to travel to far away places, I did not want to roll the dice much longer and potentially be stranded in the wilderness, so I though I'd retire my good steed and purchase a newer one.  I chose the 5.0L V8 F150 for its potential longevity.  I was not too sure about the F150 turbo boosted engines for extended mileage or the 3.5L engines found int the newer Tacos.

• Thanks 3

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Pete -

I too loved my Taco and still miss it.  However, you are really going to love the ride on long trips and Boskar has sooo much more room to play in the back.  All of this while getting at least the same if not better gas mileage.  Not much question in my opinion as to just why the Ford is the best selling truck out there.

Even though the sun came out yesterday afternoon and melted just about all the snow off both primary and secondary roads, the temps last night dipped to 16-17 degrees!  The thin blood of these southern boys just find that a bit cool.  And, there's nothing like a bit of black ice on those roads to make one pay attention going around that next mountain curve.  Forecast for Monday is low 50's and snow will be a distant memory.

Bill

• Thanks 1