Loose rubber strip cushion between trailer and frame

doug14

My trailer is 1 week old, and one of the strips of rubber cushioning between the shell and the frame has come loose and is dragging. Has this happened to anyone, and how did you deal with it? It's screwed in only at one end, and it will not squeeze back into place.

Doug H

"Bright Star" 

2019 Legacy Elite II, twin beds. Happily pulled along by 2018 Ford F-150 LARIAT, Super Cab, Sport 4x4, 3.5EB, w/max. towing goodies.  Life is Great. 

States Visited Map

One of ours was out of place when we picked our trailer up. I saw it and asked them to fix it before we left. It took two fellows to do it.  I don’t know how they got it back in place, but they did and used a bead of caulk to secure it.

92F79CE6-4D29-47F1-B4B7-A8FD9E16EE7A.thumb.jpeg.862c1646526ffcdcb8a2b72cedfe4f11.jpeg

Since you only see one screw it must be one of the strips behind the front axle. The screw you see is probably on the curb side and is actually securing the gas line. Are your tanks empty? If not, try emptying them and see if that helps. You might try pulling on the strip (should make it smaller in cross section) while stuffing it in from the side. Stick your finger in between the cross member and bottom hull and see if you can feel adhesive residue. If no trace of adhesive, you might try a little soapy water as a lubricant.

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Thanks Bill, those are good tips, and it definitely sounds like at least a 2 man job. If they screwed in both ends this would never happen.

Doug

"Bright Star" 

2019 Legacy Elite II, twin beds. Happily pulled along by 2018 Ford F-150 LARIAT, Super Cab, Sport 4x4, 3.5EB, w/max. towing goodies.  Life is Great. 

States Visited Map

• Moderator+

The rubber strips are not screwed into place.  They are glued to the top of the frame members and the lower, outer shell is simply sitting on top of them. There are several (unimportant) reasons for these strips moving and sometimes becoming displaced. The important thing to you is to get it back into place.  The easiest scenario is to take it back to the factory and they will happily fix it for you.  Your profile is missing any pertinent information about where you live and I assume it's unlikely you are close enough to return.

What you can do to fix this:  Make sure the fresh water and gray tank is empty (no sense in lifting extra weight.)  Take a 4x4 or 4x6 lawn timber and cut it short enough to go between the frame rails (about 5 feet or so.)  Place it under the trailer adjacent to the cross member with the displaced rubber strip.  Put a scissors-type jack about 15 inches from each end and gently lift the underside of the body (1/4" will do) and  slide the strip back into place (soapy water will definitely help.)  Put a little caulk along side it and it won't move again.  This little bit of movement will not harm the trailer.  A helper or two would be nice so both jacks can be moved at once.

• Thanks 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

In conclusion, high praise for the factory. After the rubber strip came loose on my Ollie, I asked them "why they don't simply screw down both ends instead of just one?"

Well, I went to the factory today to have them replace the missing strip, and Jason took me to the location in the factory where the strips are installed, to show me that they had already implemented my advice and are now screwing down both ends.

I'm really impressed with them for the speed of changing a production issue because of a customers problem.

Bravo.

Doug

• Thanks 4

"Bright Star" 

States Visited Map

• Moderators

I'm constantly telling people about the Oliver company and I always get the sense that they simply think I'm so in love with the travel trailer that I must have blinders on.  I guess the answer is that when one does not have any other company that operates the way Oliver does there is nothing to relate it to.  Certainly no company can be that good!  Well, at least in my experience, Oliver IS that good.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"