Dexter axle loose bolt at the equalizer

Over the past 3+ years I have been researching solutions to the "walk out" of the Ez-Flex Center Bolt due to failure of the "fixing" splines on the bolthead site.  This issue has occurred to at least three owners that I am aware of.  But first before spilling the beans on what I believe to be a permanent fix, have two administrative tasks:

• First, I want to thank James Ussery and Mike who have been my sounding board for at least half a dozen half baked solution possibilities.  Each of those solutions were either not robust enough or would greatly impact "side of the road" repairs.  
  • Secondly, for legal reasons, the below solution is not currently endorsed by OTT or Dexter.

Ultimately I stumbled on to a product called a "Hex Head Capture Washer".  They are used by off road suspension modification shops to keep bolts from turning.   The cost of the washers was $1.31. 

I have installed two of them (one on each Center Bolt) and am totally confortable with this solution.

Geronimo John

image.png.6b8e2b6bd26ddc36359c9eb193b5e500.png

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

GJ, thanks for all of your effort in finding a solution here.  Would you please post a link to these HEX HEAD CAPTURE WASHERS as I'm sure others would like to buy them and apply the same fix to their trailers.   Thanks.  

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

GJ,   CAPTURE WASHER or CAPTIVE WASHER?  Link would still be helpful so exact size that you bought that works and fits would remove any uncertainty. 

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

I would be very reluctant to weld on that subframe, I bet the factory would not approve. it destroys the galvanizing and probably compromises the sealer between it and the aluminum frame. I don’t see any reason why one or two 1/4” stainless roll pins driven through holes in both washer and subframe would not work well.

Alternatively, weld a piece of steel 90 degree angle to the washer facing inward, to engage the bottom lip of that suspension hanger. That might be a simpler method, you could take the two washers to a local shop to be welded, then install them at your leisure after painting them.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 6/9/2022 at 5:23 AM, connor77 said:

GJ, thanks for all of your effort in finding a solution here.  Would you please post a link to these HEX HEAD CAPTURE WASHERS as I'm sure others would like to buy them and apply the same fix to their trailers.   Thanks.  

Certainly.  At the below web site just scroll down to the 9/16" Hex Bolt for the size. They fit perfectly.

Concerning the HDG:  It has to be removed in the area of the Capture Washer only and about an inch further around the hex head capture washer. This extra space is to eliminate any HDG migration to the weld area.  Be sure to clean and re coat the weld as indicated above.  This will likely need to be re coated every 2 or 3 years as the zink  in the Cold Galvanize Spray Paint is sacrificial.

Concerning the worry about the tang rusting enough to fail:  I accept that risk as very minor compared to the damage that would be caused by having this critical bolt walking out as has happened at least four times that I was made aware of on our forum.

GJ

image.png.bfe3b8598086f04d571d19a520819659.png

Edited by Geronimo John
The word "only" was a mistake. See above.

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg