Sign in to follow this  
BackofBeyond

Dexter axle loose bolt at the equalizer

I know I saw this before but could not find the thread.

Anyways, I went to grease the Ollie and found the left bolt/nut that secures the equalizer to the frame hanging by a tread - literally. I tried to tighten it - but the bolt would not hold torque, Lucky me. We were heading out Sunday, so I called Oliver too see if they had one in stock. I will be there in the morning. Glad I'm within a couple hours drive.

I know I did a visual during the last long trip, but apparently not on the return leg. From now on I'm doing a full inspection after the clean up each time I use the Ollie.

RB

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"

ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201524964bac5483378b34b491562080842sm.jpg

During your travels over 3,000 miles, do you grease the EZ-Flex system or just wait until you return home?

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

States Visited Map

You are a lucky man.... the bolt has shallow splines close to the head that grip the steel of the hole in the spring mount. It is important to not turn the head, instead tighten the nut while holding the head motionless with a big wrench. If you let the head turn the splines will wallow out the hole, making a loose fit.

It would be interesting to inspect the failed bolt, set it down beside the new one to see if there are any obvious flaws....

Check all the other nuts and also the ubolts holding on the axles. I bet there are others that need tightening. Please keep us updated.

John Davies

Spokane WA

9B8C7CAD-14BA-45AB-B977-6D31822F7ED1.jpeg.7e185369e22edd0e33e7d8eb62eac9e0.jpeg

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

Horace -

I carry a grease gun with me and give the equalizer zerks a shot any time I get over 3,000 miles. Since I've always got a tarp with me too there is never really any excuse not to lay the tarp down and take care of business. Besides, after all that hard work I deserve an adult beverage - as if an excuse is really needed.

Bill

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Horace –

I carry a grease gun with me and give the equalizer zerks a shot any time I get over 3,000 miles. Since I’ve always got a tarp with me too there is never really any excuse not to lay the tarp down and take care of business. Besides, after all that hard work I deserve an adult beverage – as if an excuse is really needed.

Bill

I also carry a grease gun with me on trips that I think it will be 3,000 miles or more. I also carry a tarp for the same purpose.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

States Visited Map

In less than 24 hrs., the problem was fixed - Oliver service is the best, I had planned to get the bolt and do the repair, but Oliver said no just bring it by, we'll get done. I got there at 8:30, headed home by 10. The service guys n girls are top notch. Richie and Jason, Cindy on the phone, and the other folks - Thanks.

The bolt had some wear where it had backed out, but we had no clues what drove it to loosen. They replaced it, put a little anti-seize on it, torque to 43lbs, and I was gone.

I do carry a grease gun and associated stuff, but NO I don't service it every 3k miles. How that would effect the bolt and nut to part ways escapes me, but what do I know.

I am going to put together a quick checklist to ensure I do a complete visual at each fuel stop.

RB

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"

ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201524964bac5483378b34b491562080842sm.jpg