Rocking Toilet/Broken Flange

Pstar

1 hour ago, Overland said:

Thanks Shirley, that's good info.

You're right about not being able to find the black ABS pipe anywhere.  I've tried all the plumbing supply places in town and haven't been able to locate any.

The best place if in Florida to get ABS pipe is from A mobile home supply company. Most of the stock is ABS.

• Thanks 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• 1 year later...
On 7/28/2020 at 4:03 PM, SeaDawg said:

My local Lowe's has 3" [ABS] pipe in stock. A few fittings.  Most has to be ordered. But, quick ship to store.

My local depot has pretty much nothing in stock.

It probably is a regional thing.

I have done a fair amount of plumbing, including all of the plumbing in my new home in Idaho.  It is my understanding that PVC is commonly used for DWV (Drain, Waste and Vent) plumbing in the Eastern US, while ABS is almost exclusively used for DWV pipe and fittings in the West.  If you go to HD or Lowes in Washington or Idaho, nearly all available DWV fittings and pipe, including toilet flanges, are ABS.  The only explanation I've heard is that is what the "local" inspectors are used to, and therefore require.

Where, per Jason Essary, the two parts are not glued but only pressed into a rubber bushing on the black tank, either a PVC or ABS toilet flange with stub would work.  

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

My understanding is that white pvc degrades in time from sunlight exposure, becoming yellow and more brittle. I see white vent pipes sticking out of all the houses, including my own. I guess for waste and radon vents that is not a worry, but for other uses it might be. That has nothing to do with toilet flanges, but it is an interesting fact. I once made a compressed air spud cannon with a 2 inch bore with Schedule 40 pvc, in retrospect that was probably an unwise choice for a device that was used outdoors, banged around, and pressurized to 100 psi. It never blew up, but I got worried about it eventually and scrapped it…..

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.