Jump to content

Recommended Posts

It looks like the newer stove installation, with it mounted sideways, places it close to the wall.  I'm wondering if the heat, while cooking, can damage the fiberglass wall, especially since the highest BTU burner is nearest the wall.

Does anyone use something for a heat shield when cooking?

Thanks

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin on order

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

I don’t think heat from the burners is an issue.  We’ve done a bunch of cooking inside and it has never been a concern.

Mike and Carol | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram Rebel 4X4 5.7L Hemi

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

It looks like the newer stove installation, with it mounted sideways, places it close to the wall.  I'm wondering if the heat, while cooking, can damage the fiberglass wall, especially since the highest BTU burner is nearest the wall.

Does anyone use something for a heat shield when cooking?

Thanks

Is the highest btu next to the wall? In our 2008, it's in the front.

What cooktop is Oliver using now? It's really nice looking.

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Is the highest btu next to the wall? In our 2008, it's in the front.

What cooktop is Oliver using now? It's really nice looking.

Sherry

From photos I have seen, this appears to be the stovetop Oliver is using now.  The higher BTU burner is on the left.  My question is in response to this review:

 Dometic™ D21-SEC (50216) RV 2-Burner Propane Cooktop - Stainless Steel - Cast Iron Grate

Posted by Sailor Chris on May 2nd 2020

 "The cast iron grate was a major attraction for marine use. It offers a good stable base. The left hand burner (hotter one) is too powerful for the base frame, the stainless side frame becomes scorched. I did not check before purchase about the thermo-couples - it does not have them. I did not check because I thought that these are a standard, even mandatory, safety feature. Buyer beware."

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin on order

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

The front/right burner is almost as powerful as my 2008 smev front burner. The back throws a lot of btu. (Over 7000)

My experience is, most people use the back burner seldom, and usually for simmer.  

And, that's what I'd do, especially if I were worried.  The front burner gives plenty of btu for cooking/boiling water. I rarely use my back burner. Mostly for warming, or simmering. 

I can't say how much extra heat it throws to the fiberglass back wall. But, those who a actually have the cooktop may be able to tell us.

It's a good question. 

Sherry

 

Edited by SeaDawg
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

I like the look of the new cooktop.  I especially like that it doesn't have those little rubber grommets holding the grates on.  I'm always chasing those around whenever I clean.  I've lost one and a couple more are split.  I seem to remember someone posting a link to replacements and them being stupidly expensive.  

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

Snowball • 256 • 2018 Ford Raptor

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Overland said:

I like the look of the new cooktop.  I especially like that it doesn't have those little rubber grommets holding the grates on.  I'm always chasing those around whenever I clean.  I've lost one and a couple more are split.  I seem to remember someone posting a link to replacements and them being stupidly expensive.  

Same here . . . . I think this is a higher quality than the standard Dometic RV stoves.  And you're right about the grommets - one of ours split - I think I saw on another forum that a replacement set is $50!  In addition, one of the little black stoppers on the glass top went missing.  What I really like is that the new Oliver stove doesn't have a black rubber seal around the rim, where it sets into the counter top.  Our current RV has this and it melts if a hot pan touches it.  The flat cast iron grates are nice, too.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin on order

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

I don’t think heat from the burners is an issue.  We’ve done a bunch of cooking inside and it has never been a concern.

Does your stove have a 7,200 BTU burner, though? 

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin on order

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Does your stove have a 7,200 BTU burner, though? 

I don’t know.  It’s the standard Dometic with one big burner and one little burner.  Has Oliver changed cooktops?

Mike and Carol | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram Rebel 4X4 5.7L Hemi

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Does your stove have a 7,200 BTU burner, though? 

Honestly,  none of these are going to be like your home range, where your lowest simmer burner is likely to be 5 to 7000 btu. It's an rv cooktop.

I do like the flat continuous spiders, so you can slide pots around.  Really nice look. And, useful for larger skillets and pans. 

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

I don’t know.  It’s the standard Dometic with one big burner and one little burner.  Has Oliver changed cooktops?

Yes . . . .  that is what our sales associate says . . . .  and the entertainment system, as well.  They are in the process of updating their site for the 2021 model.  "Stay tuned" . . . . .

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin on order

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Honestly,  none of these are going to be like your home range, where your lowest simmer burner is likely to be 5 to 7000 btu. It's an rv cooktop.

I do like the flat continuous spiders, so you can slide pots around.  Really nice look. And, useful for larger skillets and pans. 

Sherry

Yes to the grates.  I'll be able to use our cast iron two burner griddle.

 

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin on order

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...