Thoroughly Confused Soon-To-Be Elite 1 Owner

Moonlight Mile

You need to purchase a ball mount, with a 2 inch diameter ball rated for 7500 pounds. A Rebel owner here can tell you how much “drop” you need for the top of the ball to be at the correct height, with the truck loaded for travel (the back will squat a few inches). The choice of mount depends on the individual truck, how high the receiver (hole) is, and other stuff like how stiff the suspension is.... Something like this, I do not know if the drop is correct for your cool truck. It might need 6 inches of drop since it is an offroad suspension with big tires. Somebody here can advise.

E782EB8A-5C7E-4BCC-9D58-85098C4800CB.thumb.jpeg.26bde3997344a80229efc5f80451dbff.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:44 PM, Mike and Carol said:

Sherry, on your Elite I how high does the ball need to be to keep the trailer level?  This is an important measurement for Sheri to know when buying a ball and mount.

We have two Sherry/Sheri’s here, trying not to get confused!  Mike

Mike, in case I mis-posted this in the wrong place — the sales rep at OTT just emailed me today and says “The ball hitch should be 23-25 inches to the ground from the top of the ball.”

• Like 1

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

7 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

You need to purchase a ball mount, with a 2 inch diameter ball rated for 7500 pounds. A Rebel owner here can tell you how much “drop” you need for the top of the ball to be at the correct height, with the truck loaded for travel (the back will squat a few inches). The choice of mount depends on the individual truck, how high the receiver (hole) is, and other stuff like how stiff the suspension is.... Something like this, I do not know if the drop is correct for your cool truck. It might need 6 inches of drop since it is an offroad suspension with big tires. Somebody here can advise.

E782EB8A-5C7E-4BCC-9D58-85098C4800CB.thumb.jpeg.26bde3997344a80229efc5f80451dbff.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

I have a couple months to figure this all out, and buy the right thing. Posted reply elsewhere in this thread re what my sales rep says about the height pf the ball. I have to figure all this out and without having the stuff in front of me with hands-on instruction this is sorta Greek to me at this point. Thank you so much for help!

• Thanks 1

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

1 hour ago, SherMica said:

Bill, to update here . . . I asked and he replied: “The ball hitch should be 23-25 inches to the ground from the top of the ball.” This means nothing to me right now; I am a hands-on visual person at least when it comes to stuff like this! 

When the hitch is mounted in the receiver with the ball attached, it should measure 23-25" as stated by your rep.  You need to measure with the truck on level ground and after loaded with whatever you are hauling.  I don't know if this measurement takes into account the hitch weight, which probably affects the height of the ball as well. (I could be wrong about that).

• Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

14 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

When the hitch is mounted in the receiver with the ball attached, it should measure 23-25" as stated by your rep.  You need to measure with the truck on level ground and after loaded with whatever you are hauling.  I don't know if this measurement takes into account the hitch weight, which probably affects the height of the ball as well. (I could be wrong about that).

I am dealing with a sick dog and a lotta stress right now, but hoping I have time later to try to understand (google) really simple basic info with PICS showing how travel trailers hookup to MY specific tow vehicle. Then throw in the things OTT is NOT supplying me on delivery day (chains? lock? etc.) and I am quite baffled again at this moment. Sleep will help. Thanks all for trying to help. It's just a little like Greek to me, even the lingo, I have to learn it all to begin to understand and I learn better in person so I hope the OTT delivery day person will physically, actually SHOW me how to hook things up and that they will let me know what to bring that they are not providing.

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderator+

Your Oliver will come equipped with everything you need to properly attach it to your tow vehicle. This will NOT include a ball mount and ball to insert into the rear receiver on the truck. It WILL include safety chains. It will have a lanyard to attach the breakaway stitch (for emergency braking) to your truck. I doubt it will have a lock for the Bulldog Hitch but most likely, you will be provided with a pin to Keep it secured. 

You will need to arrive with a tow vehicle that is equipped with a brake controller and wired for a seven pin connector. You will also need a ball mount with a 2” ball adjusted to the proper height. 

Your delivery person will go over every facet of hitching and unhitching. 

Relax, all will be fun. 

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

8 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Your Oliver will come equipped with everything you need to properly attach it to your tow vehicle. This will NOT include a ball mount and ball to insert into the rear receiver on the truck. It WILL include safety chains. It will have a lanyard to attach the breakaway stitch (for emergency braking) to your truck. I doubt it will have a lock for the Bulldog Hitch but most likely, you will be provided with a pin to Keep it secured. 

You will need to arrive with a tow vehicle that is equipped with a brake controller and wired for a seven pin connector. You will also need a ball mount with a 2” ball adjusted to the proper height. 

Your delivery person will go over every facet of hitching and unhitching. 

Relax, all will be fun. 

Thank you! I did click the link on the Amazon one above and unfortunately (?) it says at the top (I have put my exact truck year/make/model into the “garage” feature in Amazon) it says in bold at the top that the one in the link will NOT “fit” my particular TV. It doesn’t get into “why the heck not.” So it could be “wrong.” (Wait, things “wrong” on Amazon? Say it ain’t so!)

I texted my sales guy at Ram trucks. He sent an Amazon link too. To a Reese model — which says “rated to 7500 lbs.” But he said that would work. Then again, though he owns a Ram 1500 himself, I doubt he is towing an Elite 1, and I don’t think he jotted down that this was my plan at any point during the purchase of the truck I got. 

He did clarify that yes, the Elite 1 will come with the chains, and that my truck comes with the brake light controller etc. etc.

Adding a screen cap of the actual sticker showing what “tow-related features” the truck has. (Well, was gonna, and it won’t let me; I will post a new reply post or something in this thread in a minute and see if it lets me do that.)

Edited by SherMica

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png