AGM Battery Mount Problem

3 hours ago, Maverick said:

Bill:  were the mounting holes on the new battery tray the same as the old tray?  Nice looking installation; what brand of group 27 AGM batteries are you using?

Maverick,

The tray mounting holes were located exactly the same as original tray holes, no modification needed. 

Using 12V Duracell Group 27 AGM marine/RV batteries. May eventually go with Lithium, but have a few years of life left in the AGMs. The 100W Renogy suitcase solar panel charges the Duracells nicely with three sections of cord combined of up to 35' for when Ollie in in the shade. The white plastic seen in the tray is a combination of UHMW plastic and kitchen cutting boards.

Thanks!

Bill

https://www.driveduracell.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/2152.pdf

IMG_5674-L.jpg

IMG_5722-L.jpg

• Like 1

2015 LE2

28 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

Using 12V Duracell Group 27 AGM marine/RV batteries. May eventually go with Lithium, but have a few years of life left in the AGMs. The 100W Renogy suitcase solar panel charges the Duracells nicely with three sections of cord combined of up to 35' for when Ollie in in the shade.

I find that very interesting, do they reach a full charge? I expect the reason the Renogy panels will work that far away is due to your lead acid batteries. Is the controller still mounted directly on the panel frame, or did you move it to the trailer end of the circuit?

I have a new one just like yours that I haven’t even tested yet, I doubt it will function well at that distance without relocating the controller, since I now have lithiums which have a much higher charge voltage.

BTW Renogy recommends no more than a 10 foot extension cable, and they also say if you remove the controller it voids the warranty....☹️ So if it is new, you might want to wait a year before doing that.

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

4 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I find that very interesting, do they reach a full charge? I expect the reason the Renogy panels will work that far away is due to your lead acid batteries. Is the controller still mounted directly on the panel frame, or did you move it to the trailer end of the circuit?

I have a new one just like yours that I haven’t even tested yet, I doubt it will function well at that distance without relocating the controller, since I now have lithiums which have a much higher charge voltage.

BTW Renogy recommends no more than a 10 foot extension cable, and they also say if you remove the controller it voids the warranty....☹️ So if it is new, you might want to wait a year before doing that.

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,

Mounted the Renogy 20A waterproof solar controller in the battery compartment directly connected (fused) to the AGM batteries. Renogy does not recommend mounting the controller in an enclosed compartment with standard lead acid batteries. Since the battery compartment is vented and using AGM batteries, mounted the controller in the compartment with good results. This solar panel has been working great for years.

Maximum charge rate seen so far with the 100W panel and controller located at the batteries is 6 amps using 35' of charge cord between the panel & controller, have seen battery full charge with this arrangement. This Renogy controller has several charge profiles including lithium & AGM batteries. Plan to use this arrangement with lithium batteries in the future, too.

With 35' of cord and controller at battery location:

IMG_3583-L.jpg

The panel is in the sun in left portion of photo:

IMG_3580-L.jpg

Edited by rideandfly
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2015 LE2

44 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

JMounted the Renogy 20A waterproof solar controller in the battery compartment directly connected (fused) to the AGM batteries. Renogy does not recommend mounting the controller in an enclosed compartment with standard lead acid batteries. Since the battery compartment is vented and using AGM batteries, mounted the controller in the compartment with good results. This solar panel has been working great for years.

That is great info, I plan to remote mount my controller, but I am not going to actualy bolt it down hard inside the trailer. I hope to figure out a way to keep it free, resting on top of a tire under the wheel well, so I can use it with the panels far away, like yours, or else attached underneath them in the factory location, if I wanted to use it for charging my truck battery when away from the trailer.... I was thinking about using high quality Anderson connectors. Thoughts? Sorry for the thread hijack.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

4 hours ago, John E Davies said:

That is great info, I plan to remote mount my controller, but I am not going to actually bolt it down hard inside the trailer. I hope to figure out a way to keep it free, resting on top of a tire under the wheel well, so I can use it with the panels far away, like yours, or else attached underneath them in the factory location, if I wanted to use it for charging my truck battery when away from the trailer.... I was thinking about using high quality Anderson connectors. Thoughts? Sorry for the thread hijack.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,

I don't have experience with Anderson connectors, but I'm using Bouge RV connectors with 35' of 10/2 flexible cable cut in three equal lengths so I don't use all 35' when not needed.  Using Bouge connectors with good results.

https://www.bougerv.com/products/crimper-tool-2

Thanks,

2015 LE2

41 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

John,

I don't have experience with Anderson connectors, but I'm using Bouge RV connectors with 35' of 10/2 flexible cable cut in three equal lengths so I don't use all 35' when not needed.  Using Bouge connectors with good results.

https://www.bougerv.com/products/crimper-tool-2

Thanks,

So you are using regular solar MC4 connectors? 

C65E26AB-131F-49DF-AFBA-2ED00057DE8E.jpeg.c891be8f9fab0cfd6996dece976f13d3.jpeg

Do they hold up to repeated connecting and disconnecting?  I would worry about possibly getting dirt and debris inside when disconnected. The Anderson Powerpoles are commonly used in dirty environments since they are open and “self cleaning”. .... https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors. But they are not waterproof in any way.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies