Surgery

ScubaRx

• Moderator+

Tali and I wanted to let everyone know about some surgery that is in my future. About 2 weeks ago, I

had a cardiac cath done to rule out some vague symptoms that I was having. We were able to

determine that, overall, the arteries around my heart are in good shape. However, during the

procedure, we discovered a congenital defect in the aortic valve. A normal aortic valve has 3 cusps that

open and close with each beat of the upper chamber of the heart. It seems that mine has only 2 cusps.

Over time, the opening thru the valve constricts causing a condition known as aortic stenosis. If this

continues unchecked, congestive heart failure, enlarged heart, kidney failure, etc. can/will occur. The

surgical solution is to replace the valve with either a mechanical or tissue (pig or cow) valve. There are

up and down-sides to either choice. The tissue valves have a lifespan of about 10-12 years and then

they need to be replaced but during their lifespan they are relatively maintenance free. The mechanical

valves will (for all intents and purposes) last forever. But, you have to take anticoagulant drugs for the

rest of your life with all the accompanying trouble that they entail (dietary restrictions, monthly blood

tests, etc.) At least I can monitor and dose my own Coumadin, so that will make it a little easier.

The surgery is scheduled for April 15. I chose that day because, apparently under the new Obama

administration, if you need open-heart surgery and have it on tax day, you are not liable for any taxes

due for that year. It has to do with the stimulus plan or something. Actually, we chose that date

because it is after the Lake Greeson Gathering and before the impending birth of our next

granddaughter.

So, here we are. We are looking forward to seeing everybody in Arkansas next week.

Steve

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks for the update Steve. We have been thinking of your up coming surgery and were wondering about it.

Never the less, no slack for you in the Lake Greeson Domino matches !

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Steve and tali left Lake Greeson early to meet his appointment for surgery in Tupelo. Though we kept on fishing, they were on our minds. Campfire conversations frequently turned to "I wonder how Steve is doing".

Then Tali called with a good news report. The surgery went well and mostly as was expected. Steve is in Post Op intensive care and doing ok. Tali was to get to see him again last evening about six PM. She thought he might be awake by then.

Heart surgery is a serious thing. Hang in there you guys, we are thinking about you.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

We're all looking forward to more good news.

Good luck, Steve and Tali.

And a speedy recovery, Steve.

Sherry and Paul

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Heard from Steve this afternoon. He called on the cell phone. He sounded good. Said he had been up and walking.

Said he had a double bypass and that the surgery went well and he was feeling good.

• Moderators

Talked with Steve again today. He had called while we were out on the lake picking up the jugs and I missed his call.

He wanted a report on how the mornings catch had went. he sounds even stronger today ! Good news indeed.