6gallon standard hot water tank

How long does it take for the standard hot water tank take to heat up to temperature?   How long of a shower before all the hot water is used?

ALAZARCOFLGAKSKYLAMSMTNENVNMNYOHOKPATNTX

#837 started this new traveling experience in the summer of 2021 and loving it.

TV is 2020 Durango Citadel or 2021 Dodge 1500 diesel V6.  2021

1 hour ago, DonnaScott73 said:

How long does it take for the standard hot water tank take to heat up to temperature?   How long of a shower before all the hot water is used?

10-15 minutes for hot water, when on propane.  I showered and washed my hair and still had hot water.  And the hot water recovers quickly if LP is on.

Compared to the Truma we had in our previous RV, the standard tank heater gets the water much hotter, in my opinion.  With the Truma, we had to have the hot tap open full and the cold tap off to get shower appropriate hot water temp, and then the temperature fluctuated.  I much prefer the tank heater; and you can run it on electric when connected to shore power.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

And - 

If you are connected to shore power, you can use both the electric and the propane at the same time to heat that water even more quickly.

Without being overly stingy I can take a "navy shower" including washing my rather short hair only using between three and four gallons of water.  This plus the fact that the water heater is then constantly heating even more water as you use it results in being able to take two of these showers back to back without any negative effects.

Another way of using this water heater is to use a "meat thermometer" to gauge the temp of the water in the heater (place the probe on the outside of the tank under the insulation) when the temperature rises to what you want for a comfortable shower then turn off the propane/electric, get in the shower and use only the hot water to shower with.  Even though the water does get cooler towards the end of the shower given that new cold water is replacing the water that you have taken out of the tank, it is still OK.  Another benefit of this method is that you will not experience that dreaded short burst of cold water  that is produced when you turn the shower back on to rinse off.

Bill

p.s.  Even another benefit of this hot water only is found in the propane you save by turning the heat off right after the water gets to the temperature you desire.  For reference, I usually let mine heat to about 104 - 105 degrees.  The temp of the water will actually be a bit warmer in that given that the probe is on the outside of the tank there is a bit of heat loss in the steel of the tank and the length of the wire from the probe to the readout.

Edited by topgun2
added detail
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks for your comments.  It never dawned on us that we could use both gas and electric at the same time

ALAZARCOFLGAKSKYLAMSMTNENVNMNYOHOKPATNTX

#837 started this new traveling experience in the summer of 2021 and loving it.

TV is 2020 Durango Citadel or 2021 Dodge 1500 diesel V6.  2021

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 10:27 PM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

10-15 minutes for hot water, when on propane.  I showered and washed my hair and still had hot water.  And the hot water recovers quickly if LP is on.

Compared to the Truma we had in our previous RV, the standard tank heater gets the water much hotter, in my opinion.  With the Truma, we had to have the hot tap open full and the cold tap off to get shower appropriate hot water temp, and then the temperature fluctuated.  I much prefer the tank heater; and you can run it on electric when connected to shore power.

Thank you for the feedback on the Truma tankless, the propane only option was likely enough of a deal breaker to start with,  now hearing the their may limitations on the top end temp (2021 Oliver manual says 120F) we will stay with the standard WH option.  The 6g capacity has never been an issue for our use and when on shore power the WH total amp draw does not appear to require manual coordination of power loads

Back In the Queue