Jump to content

Rubber mat mod install under LP tanks


Recommended Posts

After recently upgrading to new 30 gallon LP tanks I decided to add a thin piece of rubber door mat to the shelf that the bottom tank rings sit on. I simply patterned it and cut it to fit the shelf. $4 for the mat at Wally World and 15-20 minutes to install.

This should help prevent metal on metal corrosion from forming between the bottom of the LP tank ring and the metal shelf. I lightly sanded and cleaned the shelf, taped it off, and shot it with a rattle can coat of flat black rust preventive paint. 
Happy Camping!

0CF56452-B2F2-466A-A5D9-5502AAE7DA0B.thumb.jpeg.20eb11cf4ee1685931b889cfd557760d.jpeg

15367CBD-27C4-4B7C-8C2B-2E5B31FDA0CC.thumb.jpeg.df8a03c2e9ad51fe515c8940e670df95.jpeg
 

878B9124-EDE2-40D1-BF31-6CEBB6C98FC1.thumb.jpeg.cfee308f09df466b40c9dc1961560227.jpeg

 

  • Like 7

2020 Ford F-250 6.7 liter Powerstroke Lariat Ultimate “Tremor” High Cap tow pkg  - 2020 OLEII - Hull #634 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Thats nice. 

We just wirebrushed an repainted our propane shelf this year. Looks like you have plenty of ventilation. 

I might add a few drain holes, if I did this, for condensation. 

  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another good option - posted by Frank C on the Oliver FB page. I just prefer the $4 rubber mat.

 

CCDF001A-611F-4CF9-A328-A1462DA20CE8.thumb.png.f1bc352f231a69140d119276b4c99545.png

 

 

  • Like 2

2020 Ford F-250 6.7 liter Powerstroke Lariat Ultimate “Tremor” High Cap tow pkg  - 2020 OLEII - Hull #634 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Thats nice. 

We just wirebrushed an repainted our propane shelf this year. Looks like you have plenty of ventilation. 

I might add a few drain holes, if I did this, for condensation. 

Good idea on additional weep holes…I will see how this works out and add if necessary. 👍🏻👍🏻 I was thinking about just removing the shelf and having it shot with Rhino bed liner. The $4 mat won. 😁

2020 Ford F-250 6.7 liter Powerstroke Lariat Ultimate “Tremor” High Cap tow pkg  - 2020 OLEII - Hull #634 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just received and installed the tank “halo” rings today (purchased from Amazon).  They fit perfectly on the tanks and in the tray.  I considered the idea of the rubber mat but I think that will have an issue with moisture/road-spray getting trapped & retained between the mat and the tray.   I’ll check these rings & the underside of the tanks occasionally to see if any water gets caught inside the rings.  They do have small weep holes molded in, hopefully that avoids moisture buildup.   

 
Mopeka 024-5002 LP Check Tank Halo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQZRR9F?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

8BD8EE05-B18F-43DD-9086-64C2D35D4F92.jpeg

 

  • Like 1

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #461

Tow Vehicles:

Primary - 2019 Ford F-250

Backup - 2019 Nissan Armada 

 

ALARCODEINKSKYMONMNYNCOHOKPATNTXUTVAWVxlg.jpg.bc136094bef415679018eafd8d4046ad.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, FrankC said:

I just received and installed the tank “halo” rings today (purchased from Amazon).  They fit perfectly on the tanks and in the tray.  I considered the idea of the rubber mat but I think that will have an issue with moisture/road-spray getting trapped & retained between the mat and the tray.   I’ll check these rings & the underside of the tanks occasionally to see if any water gets caught inside the rings.  They do have small weep holes molded in, hopefully that avoids moisture buildup.   

 
Mopeka 024-5002 LP Check Tank Halo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQZRR9F?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

8BD8EE05-B18F-43DD-9086-64C2D35D4F92.jpeg

 

Ordered a set thanks FrankC! Between the rubber mat and the rings I believe I got it covered. 😊

  • Like 1

2020 Ford F-250 6.7 liter Powerstroke Lariat Ultimate “Tremor” High Cap tow pkg  - 2020 OLEII - Hull #634 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll be the devils advocate - I prefer open area below the tanks - keeps the trash flowing through, moisture dries quickly, and when secured properly doesn't move a bit. 

After 20K miles my 30's are fine, and no problems.

to each - their own. 

 

RB

 

  • Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So we have an interesting long term experiment now.  Patriot with the mat, I have the halo rings, and Russell as the control sample with neither a mat nor the rings.  Now we just wait and check back in on an annual basis to see which option works.   🙂

  • Like 2

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #461

Tow Vehicles:

Primary - 2019 Ford F-250

Backup - 2019 Nissan Armada 

 

ALARCODEINKSKYMONMNYNCOHOKPATNTXUTVAWVxlg.jpg.bc136094bef415679018eafd8d4046ad.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

I'll be the devils advocate - I prefer open area below the tanks - keeps the trash flowing through, moisture dries quickly, and when secured properly doesn't move a bit. 

After 20K miles my 30's are fine, and no problems.

to each - their own. 

 

RB

 

image.jpeg.e285a101f96cf18bc22e6dfec150014c.jpeg  
🤣🤣

  • Haha 1

2020 Ford F-250 6.7 liter Powerstroke Lariat Ultimate “Tremor” High Cap tow pkg  - 2020 OLEII - Hull #634 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now the rubber mat and halo rings! Why not over engineer a a little project? 😊

 

28D11DCC-E85E-4BB8-B83A-3685A6949E25.png

  • Like 2

2020 Ford F-250 6.7 liter Powerstroke Lariat Ultimate “Tremor” High Cap tow pkg  - 2020 OLEII - Hull #634 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...