Air Conditioner Swap?

Is the Truma air conditioning unit a viable swap to eliminate or greatly lessen cabin noise?  
Is the Atwood available?
I will gladly pay “whatever” to have any quiet unit installed. 

Who could do this for us. We are in Illinois; however, have wheels, will travel!

HELP!  This is nuts. The noise is deafening!

"R-Villa" ~ Hull #803 Legacy Elite II  Twin Beds / 2021 GMC Denali HD, 6.6 L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, 10-speed AllisonILINKYMNOHTNWImed.jpg

IL_Travelers, several owners have replaced the Dometic with a RecPro Houghton unit.  There's a pretty nice thread with a lot of information in it on the model numbers, noise levels, etc.:  https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/search/?q=earplugs&quick=1   We have a Houghton and it's very quiet.  Haven't used it a ton yet, but so far so good.

• Thanks 1

John and Anita

2020 Oliver Elite II, Hull 688

Tow Vehicle:  2006 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab.  6.6L Duramax

States Visited Map

• Moderators

The Houghton is very, very quiet. Katana pilot found it at recrpro, and provided a link. 

The Coleman mach 10 ndq is also quite quiet, according to reliable reviewers like fitrv and technomadia. It's pretty difficult to find, also, though one dealer has the black (not for me) outdoor unit on sale this week. Coleman has been around a long time, and Winnebago uses the ndq in some of their vans, so it might be easier to find parts and service for the ndq, going down the road.

Dometic is supposed to have released one of their European inverter ac units for retrofit, but I  haven't seen one anywhere, yet .

Good luck.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Linda Ruble said:

Did you change out to the Houghton unit yourself?

If you are asking that of me, yes. I, my husband, and a friend did the swapout from a 2008 dometic (very heavy) to the smaller Houghton 9500 btu in an afternoon. 

As far as I  know, four or five of us have swapped for Houghton unuts,,and we've all done it ourselves. 

Any good rv shop could do it, if the would tackle it. Not difficult. The most difficult part for us was getting the very heavy old Dometic off the roof, safely. Second most difficult,  getting the new Houghton unit on the roof,  safely. The rest was pretty easy.  Thank goodness for younger friends,  good ladders, and safety ropes.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12