Water leak LE1

We arrived in Zion NP a few days ago with our 2022 Legacy Elite 1.  After connecting the water spigot at our site straight to our City Connection, we noticed water exiting a blue hose underneath the trailer on the passenger’s side behind the trailer wheel.   Now, even after disconnecting the water, we have a leak under the trailer, at an outer body shell drain.  

We are looking for diagnostic help as to the source of the leak. 

Clues: 

Water pressure at this NP seems to be really high. I’m guessing around 80ish PSI, anecdotally comparing the spigot output to SF.  (Very rough guess from observation only) 

No water leak or any moisture is evident from water pump area of the basement under the passenger’s side bed/settee cushion. 

We have experienced cold temperatures near freezing last winter, but have never observed any leaks until after hooking up the the CG water here.  

The pictures attached show the blue tube, and the body drain water is currently leaking from.  When faucet was connected to City Water, water flowed as a small constant trickle out of the blue hose.  After disconnecting, no water comes from blue hose, but there is a constant drip (~once every 3 seconds) from the body drain.  :(

3772E177-9829-4992-B98F-34B837A17875.jpeg

3969B441-BF37-4CCE-81B4-E3D4A9579DD0.jpeg

What would you estimate the leak rate to be? 

You probably blew apart one of the push to connect Shark Bite connectors. If it is a strong leak it should be simple enough to locate visually and perhaps by sound, sometimes it could be a hissing sound.

Small leaks aka “seeps” can be located by putting a folded blue paper shop towel under a suspected pipe, any water leakage will turn it dark blue at that spot.

7BE5BC38-9660-48C3-9C4B-5B779EA76402.thumb.jpeg.c155d9ef7927358976bbbedecbee8d89.jpeg

Buy and ALWAYS use a good adjustable pressure regulator, set to 60 psi or less. The system is not designed for 80 psi.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003YJLAIK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Connect your hose to the regulator, connect the regulator to your filter, connect the filter to a BRASS 90 degree garden hose elbow. Now you can connect the elbow to your tank fill or city water port and drape the hose over the back bumper to take the stress off that fitting and to make it look professional. 😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks John!  I estimate it as a small leak (drip every few seconds).  The challenge I am having is accessing all of the fittings to check.  I think I can get to the kitchen sink after we return home, but am not sure of how to check any of the tank fittings or other connections in the basement? 

Good suggestion about the pressure regulator.  Seems we likely learned the hard way what PSI the trailer isn’t rated for 😞.   

7 hours ago, Landsplash said:

we noticed water exiting a blue hose underneath the trailer on the passenger’s side behind the trailer wheel.  

The blue tube exiting under the hull is your fresh water tank drain tube.   The drain valve on that drain line might be open.  Have you recently filled the fresh water tank?   If not, it could be a bad check valve in the water pump (or very high city water pressure) that’s letting water from the city water connection leak back into the fresh water tank, and if the fresh tank drain valve is open, water from the fresh tank will exit out of that blue tube.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Frank C said:

The blue tube exiting under the hull is your fresh water tank drain tube.   The drain valve on that drain line might be open.  Have you recently filled the fresh water tank?   If not, it could be a bad check valve in the water pump (or very high city water pressure) that’s letting water from the city water connection leak back into the fresh water tank, and if the fresh tank drain valve is open, water from the fresh tank will exit out of that blue tube.

Interesting.  This seems like a notable clue, thanks for the info Frank!  Our water tank was about 70% full when we hooked up to city water.  

Do you or anyone have ideas for how to check the tank connections?   I’ve checked all connections under the settee/bed cushions, as well as under the sink, and so far everything is testing bone dry. (Dust comes off on finger wipe), and there are no signs whatsoever, including paper towel wipe,  of a deceptive leak running down a pipe or other path in the areas checked. 

it’s hard to see dryness in the pictures, but the attached images show the plumbing under each side of the bed cushions.  

5D4A4043-C3E2-4A70-8B56-1B62E50CF945.jpeg

7D111235-277F-485E-97D6-491FCAECFAE8.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

The valve that controls draining the fresh water tank is on the very bottom of the trailer below the pump and to the right.  You will see the PEX piping, blue, beneath the furnace duct by just raising it and moving it so that you can see the chrome 1/4 turn ball valve.  it has a short piece of PEX, and elbow, and the piece of PEX that you see below the trailer on the curbside and just to the rear of the trailer axle in line with the curbside stabilizer.  This is strictly a gravity drain pipe to allow draining after filling or as a part of the sensitization process.  

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

In the five seasons we have had our Ollie, I have not once used the "City Water" port as it is intended.  If I work my pump to death as a result, that's an easy fix.  Finding a drip in the basement would seem to be a real PITA.  

But if you do use the city water port, there is no need to buy pressure regulators.  Just ask the RV camp maintenance man for one.  They collect them by the bushel basket from new RV Owners that have left theirs connected on a daily basis.  

No slam here.  That's what I did with the one OTT gave me.  Classic Homer Simpson ice cream to the forehead .......Duhhhhhh 

image.png.013bead8458ea5e5a85d223f87187c49.png

Got to be on the top ten dumb mistakes that new RV Owners make.  Humm.. that would be a fun forum topic.  But let's not highjack this post.

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg