Timeframe for Temporary Block on Forum Registration? December 2022

Boudicca908

Greetings All --

On Friday I had the pleasure of showing off my beautiful Oliver to some prospective buyers, who were sent my way by the Oliver team.

I highly recommended that they join the Forum to learn more about the options and systems and to meet the community. They really seem to love the Oliver. They have a camper van and have decided to switch gears. 

Now I see that new registrations are blocked for a while, to deal with Spam and Bot issue. That's all understandable -- but there's no way to ask on that thread (now closed): Is there any estimate of time before new registrations will be allowed? I'd like to let them know. 

And shame on me for not being online lately. I've been absent for a while!  I'm still in recovery mode from Hurricane Ian, and spending a lot of time helping clients and friends who are severely impacted. Thankfully I had moderate damage to my abode, and my Oliver escaped without any damage at all. 

Merry Christmas to All!

• Like 4

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

Welcome back and glad you had minimal damage from Ian and your Oliver was not damaged. I feel sure that our great Moderators are working closely with Matt and Jason on a solution to the registration vetting.
It sure is a wonderful cause helping others recover! 

Merry Christmas! 

Patriot 🇺🇸

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Boudicca908 said:

Now I see that new registrations are blocked for a while, to deal with Spam and Bot issue. That's all understandable -- but there's no way to ask on that thread (now closed): Is there any estimate of time before new registrations will be allowed? I'd like to let them know. 

When the bots hit it really didn't take long to see that they had found a way around the usual safeguards that were built into the platform we use.  Quickly, Jason (W.) and Matt (D) went into find a solution mode - but - with the holidays not only did they have limited resources at Oliver but the software people at the platform were also down to a skeleton staff.  Meanwhile, as a number of members noted, several of the moderator staff were "very" busy playing "whack a bot".  That's when it was decided to simply close new registrations through the Christmas holidays and get back at finding a better solution once people were back at work with at least a somewhat "normal" schedule.

Since many companies are also giving employees Christmas Monday off (December 26) I assume that any "serious" work in this regard will not begin until Tuesday (December 27).  Past experience has shown that these people are very good and I would think that it will not take more than a few days to get to the bottom of what's going on.  Certainly, everyone will be advised when we are once again "open for business".

Bill

p.s.  of course, in the mean time, non-members can still see posts on the Forum.  They can not see Classifieds nor can they add posts of their own but all other things are available to them.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 9

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 12/25/2022 at 11:49 AM, topgun2 said:

in the mean time, non-members can still see posts on the Forum.  They can not see Classifieds nor can they add posts of their own but all other things are available to them

I didn't realize that they would be able to see posts. Thank you. 

Happy New Year everyone!

• Like 5

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

Many many thanks to our Moderators and IT Team for dedicating holiday premium time to our forum.

You all ROCK!

GJ

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

As a "small" update - 

Jason (W) was working on the issues involved this past week but was hampered a bit by the lack of personnel at our platform company.  

Thanks to all those interested in Oliver and the Forum for their patience while we look for a viable solution that is not simply a Band-Aid/

Bill 

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"