Champion 2000W gas generator to try and get enough charge in lithionics to raise jacks

• Moderators

My experience with lithium and fire is relatively small - a laptop battery pack.

However, I can tell you that it can get exciting! 

As those individual cells that are on the inside of the battery come shooting out of the case, bounce off the ceiling of my office and then melt into the carpet while setting it on fire and other cells have already turned paper, a trash can, a lamp shade and a desk on fire, I knew that I had to pull the plug out of the outlet in the wall in order to stop the current from igniting even more cells.

Once the power was removed from the equation then a Tundra aerosol spray fire extinguisher ( like THIS ONE) quickly took care of the fires.

Given what I believe would be somewhat larger individual cells in our Ollies I believe that you simply can not afford to be too safe.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
45 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Given what I believe would be somewhat larger individual cells in our Ollies I believe that you simply can not afford to be too safe.

Agreed.  But, one reason I understand Oliver chose Lithionics for its LiFEPO4 batteries is the built-in Battery Management System, which includes "shut down curtain technology" designed to prevent thermal runaway.

The Lithionics website says it this way:

"Lithionics Battery® uses an organic Lithium-ion Iron Phosphate chemistry in all of our lithium battery models. This naturally safe chemistry is paired with an internal shut down curtain technology inside each lithium cell, preventing any flame or explosion from thermal runaway events."

I once had a lithium-ion cell phone battery heat up and expand to more than double its original size.  That scared me.

LiFEPO4 is one kind of lithium-ion battery, but "ordinary" lithium-ion batteries (like those used in cell phones and laptops) are not LiFEPO4.  LiFEPO4 chemistry is much safer, and is not prone to explode, like a laptop battery can.

I sleep better at night knowing that the much larger Lithionics batteries in my Elite II are not only LiFEPO4, but have the shut down curtain technology built in.

• Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

1 hour ago, Rivernerd said:

I sleep better at night knowing that the much larger Lithionics batteries in my Elite II are not only LiFEPO4, but have the shut down curtain technology built in.

Very true!

The Battleborns also have internal management for overcurrent and temperature.  And also are the same chemistry as the Lithionics.   As such, I don't worry about our batteries running away to thermal overload.  What I do keep in mind is the remote possibility of something drawing less than 300 amps when it should not be, and having a way to shut that down too.  For fire.... belt and suspenders.  @ $40 bucks and some DYI time.....no brainer....   

PS:  Additional benefit is having a simple way to isolate every DC parasitic current draw with a flip of a switch.  As a sage owner reminded me some time ago when I said I just took off a terminal wire... His response was something like "Every weekend???"  Slam dunk great response.     I know at least one of you is out there smiling now.   🙂 

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg