Chicken Lights

Commanche

There are these small lights on the bottom 4 corners and 3 on top across the back. Now I have not seen a trailer in the dark with these lights on, but I think it would be really cool to have them go across the top on each side about 2 feet apart. This would be a easy mod if it was done in the manufacturing process. Any ideas on this?

The other mod I asked about was putting a small window behind the sink area. But that was shot down by Robert, as being too expensive to redesign the forms. That really would be a great place for a window though. The other idea was for a receiver on the back bumper to install a bike rack, also shot down. I did not really have a chance to see if there was a way to rig it. There must be a way besides getting a pickup for a tow vehicle.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators

Hey, Commanche. Welcome back.

I wouldn't really want a window behind the sink/stove area, for the same reason I wouldn't want one at home. Ventilation, cleaning and window treatment issues. Breezes thru there will interfere with the stove flame. Always a cleaning issue, with splatters, etc., and then there's the window treatment... too close to the stove for my comfort. I use that back area behind the stove for suction cup mounted racks for dishes, spices, and accessories. Has been awesome for six years. Right where I need the plates, spatulas, salt & pepper, etc., and yes, they're a cleaning issue, too. But used all the time, so cleaned all the time. I know a few of the older molded trailers had windows in that area. I just don't find the idea of a curtain and window to be personally appealing there. I get plenty of light most mornings to make coffee from the window across from the stove area.

All the Oliver windows have at least some sort of an eyebrow molded into the trailer to help direct water away from the flat surface. I'm sure that's what Robert was talking about in nixing the idea of a window in a pretty much flat vertical plane, no eyebrow, would likely be asking for issues.

Just my two cents.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Re: a bike mount on the back bumper...

I don't know if this is true on the new larger Oliver. On our 17, the back bumper is held in position by two pins, and drops down to expose the storage area where most of us keep our dump hoses and a few miscellaneous items. It's long and low, perfect for the hoses in a bag.

Wouldn't be perfect for a bike rack, imho. Might be different in the newer trailers, and I'm sure Steve would chime in.

The tongue weight on the 17 is about perfect for balanced weight throughout, but adding an appendage in a bike rack might mess it up. I don't know. I don't know anyone who has tried to do that, even with all the mods. What about adding a bike rack to the tow vehicle, or roof mount bike rack on the tv, or folding bikes like sailor love, if you want an suv tug?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Stan

I don't have an opinion or option for your window over the kitchen area, though I think Sherry makes a good point.

However allow me to add what we have done for bikes. We currently own a T@b and thus there is not even an option for a bumper mounted bike rack. What we did instead was buy two sets of Yakima quick release locking front fork clamps. Effectively if you have quick release front wheels all you have to do is unmount those, put the front fork in the Yakima clamps, then lock in place. This was done on the truck bed of our F150 using a redwood 2x4, but alternatively you could permanently mount these right onto the truck bed. Yet another reason for using a truck as your TV among many others. My next door neighbor liked my idea so well he devised a way to implement this inside his stick built TT. You can either run a cable through both bike frames to the internal bed tie downs to secure them from theft or devise a way to lock the 2x4 or what ever material you use for the platform where the Yakima clamps mounted to. Its quick easy and not too expensive, but the best part is the bikes are out of the wind from catching bugs and being a drag on the TV.

Hope this helps.

Legacy Elite II #70

The lights your talking about are part of our NATM certification concerning DOT compliance. So the placement is per government regulations.

As for the bike rack while we are not going to make a BIKE RACK itself we are in the process of designing a class one receiver hitch for the rear that would accommodate a bike rack. This item will be designed to retro fit the Elite II and possibly the Elite even after delivery.

Hope this helps.

Robert