Voyager Pairing

• Moderators

Hopefully my recent experience will not happen to anyone else - but, if you ever have to re-pair your Voyager system for whatever reason here is how you do it.

Over the winter I got in contact with the folks at ASA Electronics - the makers of the Voyager camera system that most of us have on our Ollies.  The camera I had developed a weak and got moisture inside the lens.  Almost immediately they sent me a replacement (free) but it wasn't until today that I got around to installing it.

What I thought would be a fairly simple swap turned out to be a 3/4 or a day job!  The old camera had already been removed because I had to send it in for ASA to confirm that it had a "seal" malfunction.  So, I thought that all I would have to do is take the electricians tape that was used as a temporary  covering the hole in the hull, feed the camera wire through the hull, plug it in and then reseal everything back up.  Anyone that has actually taken a look at the "instruction" that comes with these cameras might remember that there are nothing but a few pictures (i.e. nothing is mentioned about re-pairing the camera and monitor).

Well, once I plugged the new camera in and powered it up, the monitor would NOT automatically "pair" with it.  Over the next two hours I tried everything that I could think of to get it to "pair" to no avail.  Of course this meant that I traced all electrical connection to make sure power was getting to the camera which involved starting at the switch by the door, and undoing my nicely bundled wiring all the way back to the camera.  Countless times I turned the camera off turned the monitor off - all for no change in the situation.

Until I took a 15 minute break for lunch!  It just so happened that after the lunch break I turned on the  monitor first without powering on the camera.  I noted that the screen on the monitor looked different than it had earlier and instructed me to hold down the first two buttons at the top of the monitor for 5 seconds.  After doing this another screen popped up that instructed me to power on the camera.  Within 10 seconds a picture appeared on the monitor and the "problem" was solved.

Of course I then had to replace my nice wiring bundles, re-caulk the hole through the hull and put the "attic" back in order.  But at least now I have a new camera that works. As an added bonus, I played around with the setting (access via the "menu" button) and improved the color and crispness of the monitor well beyond what I had with the first camera.

Happy camper!😊

Bill

• Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 months later...
travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Bill, I hope  I remember that I read this thread.  My camera has also failed. I guess it's about time.  I just ordered a new one on Amazon.  Just not sure how the wiring job was going to treat me.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Wayfinder said:

My camera has also failed. I guess it's about time.  I just ordered a new one on Amazon.

Chris - 

Hopefully its not too late - but - I'd email ASA (assuming that this is the camera you are talking about) and tell then that your camera has a moisture leak.

Chances are they will tell you to send it in (with a return authorization number).  They will "test" it for the failure you told them about and if it has really failed they will send you a new camera.  This process takes right around 7 business days including the shipping time.

Good luck!

Bill

p.s.  unless you cut the wiring then the camera is connected to the power wiring via a "pin connector".  Simply depress the latch on the side of the connector and pull it apart.  The new camera will simply plug right back into that connector.  Then just follow the instructions above to get the new camera to "pair" with the monitor.

Edited by topgun2
added detail
  • Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

awesome!  Jenna King on FB also gave me the idea of creating a cover from recycled plastic.  I might do that too.

Been there - done that.  I'll try to get you a pic soon.  However, be forewarned - The cover that I did really didn't help with moisture in that my second camera also leaked!

Having said that - the cover does help with glare and sun.

Bill

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 9:49 AM, Wayfinder said:

Bill, I hope  I remember that I read this thread.  My camera has also failed. I guess it's about time.  I just ordered a new one on Amazon.  Just not sure how the wiring job was going to treat me.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

If you want to save your self future rear view cam headaches consider ordering the Furion cam that Oliver now installs. I had the Voyager and it had water intrusion. The gal at Voyager sent me the replacement admitted that they have had many of these rear cams returned due to leaks/fog up. The seals in the Voyager just are not that good and over time leak. 
Personally I would not reinstall another Voyager based on a google search of owner user reviews and what their customer service rep told me. On one of my Oliver service visits I had the new Furion cam installed and it’s serving me well.

If you’re going to all the trouble of a replacing your cam, maybe consider a clean and neat install/upgrade to a Furion.  

Happy Trails,

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Patriot said:

The seals in the Voyager just are not that good and over time leak. 

For what its worth - 

I've been told by the folks at Voyager that they have redesigned the seals on the camera which should take care of the leaking problem.

We'll see ......

Bill

• Like 2

• Moderator+
On 9/23/2023 at 11:58 AM, topgun2 said:

Bill

p.s.  unless you cut the wiring then the camera is connected to the power wiring via a "pin connector".  Simply depress the latch on the side of the connector and pull it apart.  The new camera will simply plug right back into that connector.  Then just follow the instructions above to get the new camera to "pair" with the monitor.

Do not cut the wire pigtail on the camera. The will not allow any credit if you do.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg