What structure in the hull supports the spare tire?

Steve Morris

I know that some of you have had the basement back wall out. And I've looked at those, but can't see deep enough. What, if any, support backs up the spare tire mounting 5/8" threaded rod? I'm using a ratchet strap to take the slop out of the bicycle rack system, and if there's only a big washer behind the wall, I don't want to pull the whole thing through!!

I looked at the limited photos I was allowed to take from our plant tour, but didn't have this area of the outer lower hull. I'm hoping that there's a support welded to the frame, or at the very least, a large plate embedded in the fiberglass.

Thanks!

NOTE: For actual use, I will have a threaded carabiner in place of the steel hook to avoid it coming off on a rough road.

IMG_9537.thumb.jpeg.9f19b57a55404f4d51c70e8e62273968.jpeg

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg.d9d6547ab1cd0cc5803e63d1a54214de.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

Keep in mind that the hull moves around on the frame, you can secure the rack to that tire rod, but you need to add some give to the strap. It certainly cannot safely be tightened completely. How about a heavy line with a rubber dock line snubber?

I personally think the bikes should be guyed hard to the trailer frame. Could you use two straps secured to this point on each side, with two tie down rings? Or heavy pieces of 2x2” aluminum angle with holes drilled.

IMG_3970.jpeg.f3a1cfd807b6fd727ce5d986416d04cd.jpeg

Where did you find that very cool ring with threaded base?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Do these pics help you?

Yes, sir. Thank you. That looks like a substantial support. 

-----
Facebook - Instagram

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

Keep in mind that the hull moves around on the frame, you can secure the rack to that tire rod, but you need to add some give to the strap. It certainly cannot safely be tightened completely. How about a heavy line with a rubber dock line snubber?

I personally think the bikes should be guyed hard to the trailer frame. Could you use two straps secured to this point on each side, with two tie down rings? Or heavy pieces of 2x2” aluminum angle with holes drilled.

IMG_3970.jpeg.f3a1cfd807b6fd727ce5d986416d04cd.jpeg

Where did you find that very cool ring with threaded base?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks, John. I hadn’t considered hull movement in relation to the frame. I figured those rubber mount pads were pretty stiff, and the whole thing solidly mounted. Thinking about it, that would transfer a lot of twisting stress to the hulls. 

I do have a snubber of sorts. It is a motorcycle strap that has an internal stretching component and adjustable strap. Probably. It enough tension, though. 

I like the idea of the eyes on the frame extension. That should be easily doable.

I found the rings on Amazon by searching for “5/8 eye nut” and then limiting my choices to stainless steel and next day delivery (we’re heading out again Thursday morning.) If I could have waited I’d have gone with a less expensive option. 

Thanks!

• Like 3

-----
Facebook - Instagram

20 minutes later: Nope, that’s not going to work. The ratchet from the end of the two receivers to the highest solid spot on the bike rack is almost perpendicular to the movement. So while the ratchet is very tight, it didn’t reduce up/down movement at all. 

IMG_9538.thumb.jpeg.66b2f9f61ba5c7ae7822d674a9aff5ea.jpeg

Back to the ratchet to the spare tire mount. Now that I know there’s a solid plate inside, I cranked the ratchet tight, and it took up all the slack. And there’s enough stretch in the webbing to allow a bit of downward movement. I think I’ll try that on Thursday. Smooth interstate almost all the way, so it shouldn’t be unduly stressed, and I’ll check often. 

thanks, @John E Davies

• Like 2

-----
Facebook - Instagram

@Steve Morris, @John E Davies:

As mentioned in previous thread, same subject - we were not pleased with the jostling around back in the back with the bike rack loaded with two 30#+ bikes.

OK...  So here's what we did yesterday for a possible solution of reducing the slop in the 1UP/OTT "bike carry" system...

After our previous 350-mile trip a couple weekends ago, it was clear that there needed to be some sort of "high" and "low" tie-down hard points from the bikes to the OTT frame in order to reduce the movement of the entire rack/bike arrangement when encountering rough pavement while towing.

We applied two 300# rated tie-down straps port/stbd linking both bike's top tubes (triple-wrapped) to the end of the factory OTT accessory hitch, and 2 more straps linking the bottom of the wheels/rails together with the same hard-point at the hitch:

22265971_Screenshot2023-08-01at07_16_48.thumb.png.eadb3604378515f4da610b0612ece139.png

1748010691_Screenshot2023-08-01at07_16_18.thumb.png.aab66a6ad5e71761b02141042380e7d0.png

646734214_Screenshot2023-08-01at07_15_33.thumb.png.f9aef23d0e0d99ab327be7f960b7e83b.png

Now, there's virtually no observable movement between the bikes themselves and the back of Casablanca while towing.  Drawing the straps "snug" (not too tight) to the hard-points has replicated the same rock-solid mount of the 1UP rack when its on the Tundra alone (without straps on the truck).  

No S**t, this hasty solution may not look pleasing to the eye, but it considerably reduced the jostling (up/down and side/side) movement of the system when towing.  The lower straps are triple-wrapped between wheels/rails adding more connectivity and safety as @John E Davies described earlier.  We traveled 247 miles with this configuration yesterday, mostly interstate, stopped a couple times to inspect system integrity along the way - no issues.

Also, as we described in a previous thread - on our rig, was a noticeable "up/down" slop in the factory installed optional 2" hitch assembly.  If you look closely at the last pic, you'll notice where we slid in a wedge of Delrin between the male/female receiver connection near the two through pins.  This wedge eliminated any up/down movement - it will be replaced with a lock-nutted 1/2" bolt tapped into where the black "X" is on the female receiver end after we get back (ran out of time before we departed to do this).

Again, the tie-downs aren't pretty, but they sure do the job!

Good luck, @Steve Morris- looking forward to learning about how you'll solve this issue on your rig, because our's is configured slightly differently.

Cheers!

A & D

934708477_Screenshot2023-08-01at07_15_58.png

Edited by MAX Burner
added relevant information
  • Like 3

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg