Using my OTT below freezing

I am hoping to use my new-to-me 2021 Oliver 1 up through Thanksgiving, when I will likely bed it down for the winter. I live in Pittsburgh, and our normal temps for the month move from 25° to 40°. Twice in the last 3 years there has been a Pittsburgh November day in single digits, but it is rare. I am under the impression that I can learn how to use my OTT in weather down to 20°. Or perhaps down to 25°.

I do *not* want to do any damage, of course, and would like to keep as much of my OTT’s capabilities in play through the month, including toilet and hot water. I have the Truma Aquago tankless water heater with the electric antifreeze filter. 

I’ve been reading various threads and watching the OTT videos, most of which are directed at winterizing, which I do not want to do just yet. I have some uncertainties and would be glad for any advice. Here is what I am thinking when the temperatures can be expected to be in the 20’s or above: 

In-Between Trips:

I have it on shore power. The furnace is set for 50° and the 6 lids to all basement chambers and internal doors are open. The Outdoor shower faucet is drained and retracted inside, and extra insulation has been put in that chamber. The Inverter is turned on, as is the hot water (economy mode). 3-way refrigerator is off. Last night it went down to 26° and this morning all seemed well.

Q: Does the Truma antifreeze filter still work if I do not have the Truma control dial set to one of the two ‘on’ positions? 

When Traveling:

I presume traveling in temps below 20° is dangerous, and that traveling in temps above freezing is preferable and has no added dangers. What about traveling in 25° weather? Can/should I keep the furnace and the water heater on when driving? 

3-way refrigerator is on propane. Usually I turn the hot water off, but don’t know about cold weather settings while traveling. 

When Camping (usually 3 night trips, boondocking):

Furnace set for 65°, all basement covers, seats and bedding in place. Solar power and portable solar are in place. Inverter is off (we don’t need the Microwave or AC when boondocking in the north). The Outdoor shower faucet is drained and retracted inside, and extra insulation has been put in that chamber. Hot water (economy mode) is on. 3-way refrigerator is on propane. 

Thanks for any advice!

Geoff

Geoff and Becca Chapman * Pittsburgh 

Legacy Elite 1 Hull #731 * TV GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, HDRider said:

Great thread.  I am new to all this and am very interested in hearing veteran stories. 

There's a ton of this type of subject material here on the Forum.

Try the "search function " at the top of the page and then just follow your nose.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

4 hours ago, GeoffChapman said:

Q: Does the Truma antifreeze filter still work if I do not have the Truma control dial set to one of the two ‘on’ positions? 

The Truma rotary control switch has to be in the “anti freeze” mode (the lightning bolt/snowflake position) to activate the electric antifreeze heater/filter, with the exterior power switch in the on position.  

IMG_3442.jpeg

IMG_3443.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GeoffChapman said:

Can/should I keep the furnace and the water heater on when driving? 

3-way refrigerator is on propane. Usually I turn the hot water off, but don’t know about cold weather settings while traveling. 

Don't leave your Truma water heater on when driving.  Put it into antifreeze mode, with the the antifreeze unit installed and running.  That is what it is for.  You can then turn it to Eco or Comfort mode when you are off the road camping and need hot water.

When we travel in cold weather,we still run our 3-way fridge on DC.  This is to avoid driving into a gas station with the open flame that the fridge propane setting requires.

If driving in temps below freezing when not winterized, I would leave the furnace running on propane at 65 degrees F or higher, to keep the plumbing from freezing.   But, I would pull off the road outside any gas station and turn it off before refueling.  I would then pull off the road again after leaving the gas station and turn the furnace back on.  Think about what could happen if your furnace tried to ignite fuel while parked next to a gas pump.  It would be like lighting a match!

With this regimen, monitor your propane levels.  Depending on the size or your tanks,  you may run out of propane every 3-4 days.

• Like 5

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Thanks for these, you all.  Lots of reading straight ahead.

@Frank C and @Rivernerd - I hadn't realized that the Truma antifreeze mode was exactly meant for driving. I just read through the Truma section of the manual I inherited with my OTT - pretty confusing!!  But the general strategy  @Rivernerd outlines makes sense.

Encouraging that the antifreeze kit is meant to protect the Truma unit down to -4°F!!  Pretty sure I'm not likely to be out in that kind of cold.  I'll read up a lot more before my next below freezing night.

• Like 2

Geoff and Becca Chapman * Pittsburgh 

Legacy Elite 1 Hull #731 * TV GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L V8