Rearview camera hood

topgun2

• Moderators

The newer rearview cameras that are installed by Oliver have a built in "hood/cover" that helps protect the camera from sun and rain and (perhaps) some glare.  However, those of us with the older cameras no such "protection" is built-in.  So, after seeing another one of these cameras where the owner (sorry, I do not remember just who that was) fabricated a hood/cover, I thought that I would try to do the same for my camera.

I had some reasonable flexible plastic sheeting laying around the workshop that had originally been used during the installation of a "ceiling" under part of our decks on the house.  I believe that the product was called "Underdeck".  Anyway, using a bandsaw I cut out a rough shape and then used a heat gun to soften the plastic sheet such that I could hand mold it into the basic shape I wanted.  Next, I refined the rough shape again using the band saw and then started sanding until I was basically satisfied.  A bit more molding of the cover using the heat gun - note that I actually used the camera as a base for this "final" molding but was careful to not let the camera get too/very hot for the obvious reasons.  Then it was a bit of hand sanding - this is not really that difficult given that the plastic is fairly soft.  Perhaps the "final" detail of the project was the most difficult - the placement of the holes that aliened the outside bracket with the plastic hood with the holes in the camera body.  Note that the bolts that attach the bracket to the camera body are not very long and with the added material of the plastic hood being involved there is not much room for error on this step.  Finally, when I was satisfied with how it looked I spray painted the underside of the hood with ultra-flat black paint so that glare/reflection would be reduced.  Questions?

Bill   

p.s.  Note:  In the pics below it really doesn't show, but, the top of the hood does not rest directly on the top of the camera.  This allows any heat from the camera and/or the sun to be dissipated such that neither should be subjected to too much heat. 

lhoodoncamera(2).jpeg.217b76468693ffc6e4451c8627dc100a.jpeg

This is the hood that I copied.  I reduced and shaped the edges of mine such that there would not be any interference by the hood with the camera angles out to each side.

P1030250.thumb.JPG.80f6f79a7893311026fe3c8736a7596e.JPG

The above is the camera mounted prior to making the hood.

P1030333.thumb.JPG.120f5a74c25bfd38ba6e40140eb89cce.JPGP1030334.thumb.JPG.ad7d88857a1edb4e5a4c106f85baef70.JPGTopP1030337.thumb.JPG.4cfde05f8e7f331cdfd22e1e0de6f45e.JPGTop

Back

P1030335.thumb.JPG.ca51bb6dbce6bd2de1ee64e545a80022.JPG

P1030332.thumb.JPG.a52815a07adfbed78d8cc241bbb3f2b0.JPGFront

• Thanks 4
  • Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

I forgot a couple of pics of the material used:  AND rough measurements - 

4" front to back

1 3/4" top down to the sides

2 5/8" from the back to the apex of the curve at the front on the sides.

P1030340.thumb.JPG.81ea9bdc93fde9d117f0c013232e4fd3.JPGP1030341.thumb.JPG.6be810a55809d6957f92333ca3bc6a6d.JPG

Edited by topgun2
added detail
  • Thanks 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

That came out great! It almost looks like it came that way.

You mentioned that newer cameras came with hoods, but the one on my 2023 did not. This project will be added to my long list of modifications I want to make once it warms up.

For material, Kydex might be an option. It is a moldable sheet frequently used in custom holster/sheath making. I've never fiddled with it (I like leather), but it should be a good option.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kydex+sheet&crid=DUJIHI52K2HN&sprefix=kydex+sheet%2Caps%2C156&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

• Thanks 4

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

For material, Kydex might be an option. It is a moldable sheet frequently used in custom holster/sheath making. I've never fiddled with it (I like leather), but it should be a good option.

Actually, I tried Kydex on my first go at this.  It is a bit thinner and that makes getting the holes for attaching the bracket easier .  However, once cooled Kydex is less "forgiving" (i.e. harder) as compared to the relatively soft plastic I used.

I'm sure that Kydex could work for this purpose but to really get a "form fit" as you would do with a holster, you would have to apply more heat to both the Kydex and, therefore, the camera body than I would feel comfortable with.

Bill

p.s.  "You mentioned that newer cameras came with hoods, but the one on my 2023 did not."  Yes, I think that I may have confused this with a camera that was installed by Patriot.  A quick look at some 2024 photos shows that the camera I/we have is still being used on new Olivers. 

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Actually, I tried Kydex on my first go at this.

Thanks, that's good information, and will save me a step whenever I get around to doing this.

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:

Thanks, that's good information, and will save me a step whenever I get around to doing this.

If anyone has this project in mind and wants to use the same material I used - send me a PM and I'll see if I have any "extra" laying around that I could bring to the Rally.

Bill

• Thanks 2

I was thinking of using a round plastic bottle as a starting point.  Just looking for a heavy duty one of the right size.  

Nice job on yours!

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice cover.  We have a camera we installed, but unless the signal bounces off a roof or between two 18 wheeler trailers it doesn't reach the monitor in the truck.  Camera and monitor work well if i plug monitor in the 12v adapter in trailer over stove.  We sent it back to manufacturer and it worked with a 70' distance between camera and monitor.  So thet charged us for service but we can't count in it.  Maybe if we build a cover that sits over the antenna will help.

ALAZARCOFLGAKSKYLAMSMTNENVNMNYOHOKPATNTX

#837 started this new traveling experience in the summer of 2021 and loving it.

TV is 2020 Durango Citadel or 2021 Dodge 1500 diesel V6.  2021

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Donna and Scott said:

We have a camera we installed, but unless the signal bounces off a roof or between two 18 wheeler trailers it doesn't reach the monitor in the truck. 

Is the signal transmitter intergraded within the camera body or are they separate?

When I first purchased Twist I installed a camera just above the license plate bracket in the tire cover.  Since the signal transmitter was separate I was able to move it forward until I finally got a great signal in the cab of the truck - I now have that transmitter in the "dog house".  The "problem" with the camera's location is that when it rains it is subject to a bunch of road mist making it fairly useless and because of the low angle I can only see the vehicle that is directly behind me.  However, this location is great for backing into tight campsites. 

Bill

• Like 1

The antenna can be removed off camera and a extension can be added.  We have the same results whether it is using our Durango or the pick up.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Donna and Scott said:

The antenna can be removed off camera and a extension can be added. 

OK - 

I take it then that the actual transmitter is integrated in the camera body.

Have you tried any antenna extension?

Do you know what camera this is?

Bill

The camera ans monitor system is from Tadi Brothers.  They provided an extension that was long enough to go from the camera above the Oliver light to the maxair vent, but had the same results.

• Sad 1