Oliver batteries not charging with generator

Please help!! We are boondock camping and we're trying to top off our lithium batteries. I plugged into a small watt generator it did not charge anything. I switched over to a 3500 generator and there's a clicking noise going on and it's not charging. Clicking noise in the compartment of the dinette, the one on the left. I do not know what to do. Can anybody help?

Thank you,

Christi 

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

I assume that you have the Oliver installed Electrical Management System/Surge Protector?

If yes - what does the system's readout indicate?

Do you have or need a grounding plug on your generator?

What percentage are the batteries currently at?

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Yes, surge protector, it's not on because I unplugged the generator. We are currently at 67%. I think yes on grounding plug

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

Do you know what could be causing the clicking noise? I think it has to do with the inverter

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

• Moderators

I doubt that it is the inverter - but - it should be turned off anyway.

I'm grasping at straws here - but - turn off your converter (pull the fuse in the fuse panel or trip that breaker).

Restart the generator and see what the surge protector says.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

It has an e9 code. When we plug the generator in the inverter is off. E9 is the code

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

The book says that means data link down call technical support

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

With lithium, you need to change a Xantrex setting before trying to use a small generator. The Oliver's converter (charger) will try to draw more power than the small generator can produce. So, stick with the 3500W genny for now.

Also, are these inverter-type generators? Industrial jobsite generators may not produce "clean" power. If the power is drifting in and out of spec, the Oliver's electrical management system may start rejecting/accepting that power. That could be the cause of the clicking. Are you getting error codes on the display in the attic?

Next, is the 3500W inverter-type generator producing electricity when not connected to the trailer? Test it with any handy electrical device. If not, the generator's circuit breaker might have tripped.

If the generator is producing power, look next to the connection between the trailer and genny. As @topgun2 mentioned, some generators (inc. Honda) require a grounding plug inserted into one the the genny 15A outlets before connecting to an Oliver. If the plug isn't present the EMS will cut the power and the display in the attic will show an error code.

The clicking under the dinette might be the transfer switch if you have the optional shore line connector on the front right side of your hitch near the propane tanks. What happens if you plug into the optional front shore line connector instead of the one on the driver's side?

When connected to the generator does your microwave have power?

• Like 5

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

• Moderators

OK -

the data link error should not have anything to do with the charging problem.  This error code only means that the remote display is not communicating with the main EMS computer.

I do not have a generator, but, I still suspect that the issue lies with the either the generator or the transfer switch.

Try what Steph and Dud B are telling you.

Bill

p.s.  thanks to Steph and Dud B for trying to help out!

• Like 3

Okay I tried the other outlet same I get the code e9. I really think something happened when I plugged it into two small of a generator. So what do I do? How do I fix that?

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

• Moderators

Do you have the optional front shore power plug?  

If yes, then if possible try plugging the genny into that and see if you get the same result.

I assume that you have checked all of your connections - make sure that the cord is solidly plugged into both the genny and the Ollie.

Bill

• Like 1

Yes, tried the other plugs. Same thing. Yes they were tight

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

Now I'm worried that when we go home, they won't charge on shore power

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

• Moderators
1 minute ago, chiwald said:

Now I'm worried that when we go home, they won't charge on shore power

Don't worry - yet.

First we have to figure out exactly what the problem is.

Have we confirmed that there is a grounding plug being used?  It should look something like THIS one.

• Like 1

• Moderators

A couple more things to try -

1.  have you simply shut everything off, unplugged the generator from the Ollie and waited at least 5 minutes to give all systems a chance to reset?

2.  If it is the transfer switch (I doubt this because you've now had the same problem with both the front and side transfer switches on your Ollie) and you have a rubber mallet then you can hit (tap) the transfer switch box.  This will help the springs inside the switch snap back into place if they are "stuck".

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, chiwald said:

Yes grounding plug. Is there a way to reset the inverter?

OK - good on the grounding plug.

Other than turning the inverter off and then on again I don't know of a way to "reset it".  However, I don't think that the inverter has much if anything to do with your problem.

Basically, the generator produces 110-120 volts of electricity and sends it through the EMS (making sure that the generator electricity doesn't hurt your Ollie) to the transfer switch and then to the charger/converter.  The charger converts the 110 volts down to 12 to 14.6 volts and sends that electricity to the batteries.  

Therefore, the inverter never comes into play.

Do you have a multi-meter that you can use to test the voltage coming out of the generator?

I really hate to do this to you - but - I have to leave the Forum now.  Hopefully someone will pick up the ball (like Steph and Dud B did) to continue to try to help you.

Good luck!

Bill

• Like 1

2 days after picking up our 2022, Hull #1045, while camped at David Crockett State Park, we were plugged into shore power. I pulled up the phone app for Lithonics to check our batteries. They were down to 70%+/-. We were plugged into shore power at Oliver and at David Crockett. We confirmed there was shore power. Call Oliver and they had me check the inverter breaker located on the front wall, street side. It is right next to the actual inverter, which should be off. The breaker had tripped and there was no charging of the batteries. I reset the breaker and we were good. This happened twice more on another trip, and a new breaker was awaiting our arrival home. So with the breaker tripped, there was no charging of the batteries. Check your inverter breaker.

• Like 4

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNY

I don't think that's it because our inverter works and the breaker was not tripped. I think it has something to do with the transfer relay. When the generator is plugged in the The transfer relay keeps trying to switch back and forth and no charging is happening

• Like 2

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

We also tried shutting everything off waiting several minutes and then turning it back on and trying it again but no difference

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

Is there more than one breaker panel? Is it the one under the table?

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

Thank you all for who have responded. I really appreciate it!

Explore, Dream, Discover

Christi, Matt & Lucy

2022 Legacy Elite II, TB

Hull # 1261

2019 F150 Limited

20 minutes ago, chiwald said:

Is there more than one breaker panel? Is it the one under the table?

You should have a breaker for the inverter under the street side bed on the wheel well, looks like this. 
image.thumb.jpeg.06d0eeabe771ab084720f34c84c751c7.jpeg

Some suggestions...

1) Did you check if the ground bonding plug is seated properly in your generator? 
2) Are you running your 3500W generator on gas or propane. Because it generates only approx. 2800 continuous running watts on propane, which at 120V is approx. 23A, which should still be enough power to run your trailer without changing the Xantrex settings. Try changing the Xantrex AC input settings from the factory 25A to 20A, that would be #28 setting in the Xantrex "FXC Control" app. This setting is set to 25A at the facory because the breaker size for the inverter is 25A and the main power supply is 30A which is greater than the breaker size. When you connect to a generator or house receptical that supplies a lower amps, you need to adjust setting #28 down to match the current incoming power supply. Your smaller generator could have messed it up.
3) Like @topgun2 suggested, take a rubber mallet and tap the transfer switch box
4) If you trust your generator turn off the EMS and see if it works.

• Like 3

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison