Jump to content

Steph and Dud B

Member+
  • Posts

    1,503
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    17

Everything posted by Steph and Dud B

  1. The trick is to be sure NOT to fill them to the brim, especially if you're draining the black tank. If you fill the tote to the top you still have a hose full of black water that has to go somewhere when you disconnect it. 🫢 That's why I went with 21 gallons. No way even a full black tank will overfill the tote. Our tote has the hitch hook to tow behind our truck. When I first got it, I filled it to capacity to check for leaks. That sucker was heavy - over 160 pounds - and lifting up one end to drain it wasn't easy. Fortunately, it'll only have about 15-16 gallons in it during actual use.
  2. Agree with @Trainman. Most American RVs, and virtually all of their appliances/components, are built to last barely longer than their warranty period. Yes, they do get bounced around a lot, but my truck doesn't need a new radio or navi system every 18 months because it goes down the road. The real problem is us. As long as Americans will keep paying top dollar for a rolling do-it-yourself project, they'll keep making them. I am hoping the Oliver design and construction holds up to our expectations. Bad enough when the gadgets break, much worse when you're dealing with roof leaks, broken spring hangers, and cracked frames.
  3. Good point! The lithiums draw a lot of charging power. Xantrex setting #28 will cap the total amount of amps the converter will pull for charging while still feeding the other 120v items in the trailer. Set it to 15 to prevent overloading a 2200W generator. (Remember to set it back to 25 - factory setting - when you go back to shore power.)
  4. You don't absolutely need a 30A connection/3000W generator unless you plan to run everything on generator the same way you would on shore power (microwave and AC at the same time, for instance). A 2200W generator should be enough to charge your batteries and run an air conditioner with the soft-start feature, but you may have to pick and choose when you want to run the microwave, hairdryer, InstaPot or other high-draw appliances with the AC on. The advantages of the smaller generators are less weight, less noise, less fuel consumption, and lower cost. OTOH, the larger generators will let you use your Ollie as if you're plugged into shore power. If you do decide on a smaller generator, you may need a "dog bone" adapter to convert your 30A RV plug to whatever's on the smaller generator (often a standard 15A household plug). If it's a Honda you may need a neutral-ground bonding plug, too, to make your surge suppressor system happy. I do love my little Honda...
  5. When we have shore power I leave our current gas/electric fridge on Auto. As a precaution in case the shore power fails while we're outside the fifth wheel, or if we're sleeping, I bought one of these AC power alarms. If shore power fails, the fridge goes to gas and the alarm warns me. I plan to do the same with the Norcold in our Ollie. (If we're dry camping, I'll put the Norcold directly on gas.)
  6. Common problem. Easy to replace from the roof. They've improved the design of that gearbox now. The new ones are reinforced with a couple of metal screws.
  7. (Mental note: watch @ScubaRx at all times!)
  8. I see you have a 2021. Is the radio still under warranty? Even if you're just barely out of the warranty period, Furrion might still honor it if you contact them.
  9. Edison was right the whole time.
  10. That's a new feature. The radio uses a combination of microphones and motion sensors, interpreted by A.I., to determine your mood. Based on that evaluation, it automatically picks the appropriate genre of music for your mood (based on an analysis of your past music selections and Google searches related to songs and artists) and powers up. Future revisions will also feature integrated mood lighting along with the audio. To stop the music, remain perfectly quiet and still while breathing slowly and twitching your eyes to simulate REM sleep. This will signal the A.I. to terminate the music. NOTE: Swearing and gesticulating energetically in the direction of the radio will only serve to switch the music to Kenny G. or a similar genre, so caution is advised. Or, it's broken. Good luck either way.
  11. I'm seeing this more often these days, 26-27' travel trailers with 2 ACs. I don't get it. We were in the Badlands and AZ in mid summer with our travel trailer that size with 1 AC and got by. Even our 32' fifth wheel has only 1 AC and it's been fine from the mid-West to the east coast. All this will do is lower the line voltage in campgrounds even more.
  12. We're going to put our 21 gal "Turd Taxi" in a cargo carrier in the rear hitch of the Ollie: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QEKGA0/?coliid=IYU4N4K30PK4C&colid=3HP9GD89VQ4XP&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it There's room for our tank and a few other things.
  13. Prediction: the diesel will feel like there's no trailer back there at all. You'll have to be careful when you hitch up or you'll be 2 hours away before you realize the trailer isn't behind you. 😁
  14. Very nice. We are white truck fans ourselves. Congratulations and a safe trip home.
  15. Planning to install a Diamondback SE as soon as we return from our final trip with our fifth wheel in a few weeks. Going to add the Frontrunner racks and put the bikes up there.
  16. Congratulations! Have fun on your delivery trip and post some pictures!
  17. I think I'd go with either clear Gorilla Tape or Geocel Proflex RV sealant as a temporary repair.
  18. Happy to hear you have another Ollie and are already enjoying it!
  19. If the propane burner is running, I'm guessing a lot of sediment on the bottom of the tank...? Pull the anode rod, flush the tank, replace with new anode rod as needed.
  20. Was looking at the same thing. How about this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WENDUS/?coliid=I3M7OYXJTF68L3&colid=3HP9GD89VQ4XP&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it In the end, I think we're going to put a small cargo tray on the rear receiver and mount our bikes on top of our tonneau cover instead.
  21. I installed Latch.it locks on our fifth wheel and a fire department trailer. Very nice locks. The only problem I had was that the AA batteries they came with were junk.
  22. Lots of torque in electric motors so they are great at pulling things, but the range and recharging capabilities aren't where they need to be yet. At least not for RVing.
  23. Correct. It's disconnected because the lithiums can absorb power way faster than the vehicle alternator can handle. (My probably over-simplistic understanding of the engineering.)
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information