New Performance Monitor/Controller and New Fuel Pump for the Cummins Diesel

Thought some of you might get a kick out of my recent and current TV projects!

I recently install and Edge Juice with Attitude kit which adds a performance chip replacing the ECM for fuel metering providing extra towing power and better GPM: Juice With Attitude (edgeproducts.com)

We actually went from 12 GPM to 17 GPM, pulling the Oliver, on two recent trips in the mountains. Not at all a scientific test, since the first trip likely had more elevation ups and downs, but it is for sure much improved. Driving uphill in the mountains is now much stronger too. There are also gauges for fuel pressure, trans temp and EGT (exhaust gas temperature) for diesel engine safety when adding more power. This was a complex installation, with a dozen under the hood connections. I was very happy when the truck started up immediately after. The picture shows where I installed the Attitude display under the dash. They supply a hokey windshield mount, but I didn't want my view obstructed at all. It works nicely there. Notice above the fuel pedal, you can see where it connects to the OBD-II port for reading ECM and sensor data.

Edge Juice.jpg

Edited by jd1923
  • Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

Good news/bad news, isn't it always the way?
The new monitoring system shows LOW fuel pressure. 🙃

Not sure if it is true with all diesels, but the older Rams have a "lift pump" and an injection pump. The lift pump pushes fuel to the injection pump at 14 PSI (+/- depending on when idling, cruising or accelerating) at a strong feed rate with a return line to the tank. When at good pressure and flow the diesel fuel creates cooling for the injection pump. When the lift pump fails, the injection pump will pull fuel itself but without the added flow for cooling the injection pump will fail, which is common and costly when not found in time.

My new gauge shows only 8-9 PSI at idle (highest PSI), 6-7 at highway speeds and jump on the pedal it can go down to 2-3 PSI, all not good since the shop manual states a 10 PSI min. The lift pump is in the tank which is not an easy fix. Replacement pumps are iffy at best and most older Ram owners install some kind of performance lift pump and improved fuel filtering system. Good fuel supply is paramount in a diesel. I purchased and am currently installing this kit: FPE-2019-31_FPE-34754.pdf (fleeceperformance.com)

Posted (edited)

Watched a few YouTube videos on this. Not too bad a job if you have a 4-post lift, and I have about every automotive tool, but not that. What a pain it would be working under the truck and it's not truly safe to have jack stands raised high enough to remove the fuel tank.

Knowing this, we returned from Casa Grande and the Sonoran Desert NM with an empty tank. The trip computer states 8 miles DTE which makes Chris nervous, but we got home with just enough gas. 

I posted this on the Cummins Forum where one very knowledgeable senior member wrote that he installed the same Fleece kit. He did not pull the tank from the bottom; he removed the truck bed! OMG, which route is better?

Took me less than a day to decide, I'm pulling the bed. The truck stays on all fours, I will not have to crane my neck, laying on the cold garage floor, etc.

It's amazing how easy it is to remove a truck bed, this being my first experience doing this. Remove the taillights and make sure all frame-mounted wire ties are disconnected. You do not have to remove the rear bumper (only 6 bolts), but it is safer unless you can lift the bed straight up. The bed is attached to the frame, 8 bolts on my long bed and 6 bolts on a short bed.

The real trick is how to hoist the bed. The senior member mentioned used a gantry and hoist. A basic gantry costs $800 and could not find one to rent locally. I figured I could buy two inexpensive chain hoists to do the job, but the only location strong enough to mount the hoists, was to the header of my garage door. Then the bed would be hanging half-in and out of the garage. It was truly scary driving my truck out from under the bed, but son Adam was guiding the rear end while Chris was keeping an eye on the underside!

I was determined to get the bed fully in the garage stall as we are in the SW windy season now. It's crazy how recently we use our side-by-side more for home projects than for enjoying the AZ dirt trails! The bed will sit just like this until the install is completed.

Bed hoisted Ram out ready to mount.jpg

Bed hoisted ready for Havoc.jpg

Bed on Havoc in garage.jpg

Edited by jd1923
  • Like 2
  • Wow 2

I was just going to suggest removing the truck bed but kept reading and saw that you already did it.  Now, while the bed is off, repaint the frame, check your shocks, brake lines and fuel lines.  Now is the time to fix them.

• Like 1

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

Looks like a fun job! I had some concerns with  my 2013 Duramax as it had the CP4 pump in it. After reading a lot of CP4 horror stories, I installed a FASS lift pump under the driver's side bed. Not sure how much it really helps but, it supposedly filters out a lot more particulates than the stock filter, has a water separator, along with the positive pressure to feed the system. Knowing my luck, I also went ahead and purchased a Fleece CP3 pump/installation kit. Got that installed a couple of months ago to prepare for this camping season since we have some longer trips planned starting with the Rally in Alabama. The lift pump was far easier to install than the CP3 for sure although the CP3 wasn't the worst job I've done. It's mainly a lot of tear down to get to the pump and put the new one in. Fired right up afterwards so I was happy with that! It doesn't always rule out issues down the road but it sure gives you some additional peace of mind! 

• Like 1

2021 LE II - Hull 922 - "Ollie Be Back"

2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Hugo & Penny

Bob & Cash (the pups)

13 hours ago, Jason Foster said:

I was just going to suggest removing the truck bed but kept reading and saw that you already did it.  Now, while the bed is off, repaint the frame, check your shocks, brake lines and fuel lines.  Now is the time to fix them.

Well, I did everything under the truck when I first got it last summer! Notice the new Bilstein shocks, these would have been installed in 5 minutes each with the bed off! New brake fluid all around, and larger later gen brakes up front. The lines and everything are perfect in this AZ rust-free truck. I did the diff with new oil and PT additive, everything. The supply line will be replaced with a new 1/2" fuel line included with the kit.

Good to read of your project @Half Fast Hugo. I went directly with the full Fleece kit vs. a Fass or other frame-mounted lift pump since my truck was dealer retrofitted with an in-tank pump when it was new.

I purchased new rubber hose for the tank filler and vent. The metal end of the vent line was rusty inside, so brushed that out. Great time to replace the exhaust hangers but the rubber on them is still supple. Painting no, don't really believe in paint on paint unless you were doing a frame-off, everything clean and sanded.

Pressure washing yes, sure looks great after all the Arizona red dirt is gone! Before and after pics to follow --

Ram Fuel Tank Bed off.jpg

Ram Fuel Tank Bed off CLEAN.jpg

• Like 2

Today was the day to prime the pump and filter. I have the tank so low that first thing was to buy a couple gallons to add to the tank.

Bumped the starter a couple times which causes the fuel pump to run for about 20 seconds. The new Fleece pump groaned a bit to fill at first and then it's much quieter than the ringing sound of the OEM pump. I just loosened the nut on the return line of the VP44 (injection pump), a little fuel came out and that's all she needed. Started right up and sounded good. No leaks anywhere. Nice!

First pic tells the final story. I had lift pump PSI from 8 PSI idling to 2 PSI with a heavy foot. Now I have a solid 14 PSI (top right corner of the display). I've only idled so far, hit the pedal while standing and still 14 PSI. Friday I will replace the bed and take her out for a drive!

Insight Screen after Fleece.jpg

FLEECE new filter install.jpg

FLEECE new pump install.jpg

• Love 1

Not getting much love on this thread! Though I do realize it's not an Oliver!

It only took an hour today, to hoist up the bed, pull the side-by-side out and back the truck in (Adam holding up the rear and Chris guiding the front). Got two corner bolts on the bed and drove her out!

Dodge Bed ON.jpg

• Moderators

Not a bunch of those trucks around that are getting this kind of love either.

Nice job on those "blacked out" rear lights!😁

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Nice job on those "blacked out" rear lights! 😁 Bill

Blacked-out is for kids, but when I had all this disassembled, we detailed the taillights, license plate surround and bumper covers and then all black trim on the TV! I degreased all parts, getting off all the sloppy car wax and rubbed them down with rubbing alcohol several times until the final paper towel was clean. Used Mothers Back-to-Black in the past, but it never really did the job. 

Recently, I purchased "Forever Black" and it works great, covering in deep black without brush marks: Amazon.com: Forever Black Bumper & Trim 6 Oz. (New Improved Formula & Larger Size) : Automotive 
Looks amazing for 23-year-old trim! Right?

Ram Taillights.jpg

Edited by jd1923
  • Like 1

It's GREAT when a repair and upgrade come together nicely. Also had time to clean everything under the bed and worked some Forever Black into all the black trim I had removed. Got the truck 100% yesterday, filled the tank (with 2SO/ATF additive), ran some errands and this truck has considerably more power.

Levels 1-2 on the Juice are really strong! (Levels 3 and above are for built engines AND transmissions only.) Running previously at 6 PSI +/- was starving the injection pump to a point, and likely it was running hot. Now fuel pressure is 15 PSI at idle and a constant 14 PSI when driving. 

Love the Juice, love the Fleece, love being done with positive results.

Dodge Done.jpg

• Like 1

Tail lights came out *****'n!  = ( Bravo, India, tango, Charlie, hotel, ', November) NICELY Done...  Bravo Zulu, brother!

Edited by MAX Burner
  • Thanks 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

On 4/12/2024 at 2:49 PM, jd1923 said:

Not getting much love on this thread! Though I do realize it's not an Oliver!

Sorry, I was out of pocket.  I love stuff like this.  Looking good.

• Thanks 1

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.