Houghton AC-installing a Honeywell PRO 1000 Thermostat

Nan

Can someone please tell me how to wire the Honeywell PRO 1000 Thermostat (Heat Only) to the Houghton Air Conditioner?  I opened a ticket with Mike Sharpe and he could not get me the information even though the service department had just wired the Dooley's Oliver the week before. I am all set to install the new AC, but need information on the wiring.  Thanks so much everyone!

• 1 month later...
travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

OK, still not able to get the Honeywell Pro 1000 to turn on the heat, but the Houghton AC and heater strip are working just fine. It is so much quieter.

• Love 1

Sorry I did not notice this a month ago... I and others would have read your post sooner if it was listed under Campers and Ollie Modifications. Houghton and Honeywell being mods. Also, many would not know the answer.

Thermostat cables generally have 5-6 wires, and each one has a designation. I have a whole spool of 6-wire thermostat cable. One colored wire is for fan, furnace, A/C, heat strip, etc. You need to find the wiring diagrams for both products, the Houghton and then the Honeywell. 

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

It's hard to provide an answer to this question not knowing how you connected the Honeywell thermostat to the existing wiring and whether or not you kept the Dometic control relay box in place.  Lots of good info in previous posts - maybe start with the "Got Earplugs" thread I started a long time ago.  Many users have posted how they converted to the Houghton from the noisy Dometic.

In my case, I only use the remote control for the Houghton heat pump and still use the factory Dometic thermostat and control box to run the Suburban furnace.  As I recall, the factory wiring from the thermostat to the relay box may have been digital, so there weren't enough wires to convert to a more traditional analog wiring scheme for both the Houghton and the Suburban.  I also don't think there was any way to connect to the Houghton with an external thermostat (at least the model I used). 

• Like 1