Victron MP2 with (2) Epoch 460ah batteries. DAY #1 Removal, rewiring, mounts, routing wires

Why the multiple control/indicator screens?  Will the GX Touch not do everything you need, or was this just to fill previous holes in the walls?

2020 Elite II Hull #628, Houghton Heat Pump, Victron install in progress...

TV - 2011 Toyota Tundra Crew Max Platinum 4WD, Magnuson Supercharger, OME suspension

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
3 hours ago, katanapilot said:

Why the multiple control/indicator screens?  Will the GX Touch not do everything you need, or was this just to fill previous holes in the walls?

Top right is battery indicator in red supplied by Epoch (quick visual). Under that is the Victron toggle for inverter and power assist control. Old Zamp controller area is for GX display. 2 green buttons inside pantry are remote battery shutoffs. 

• Like 2

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

1 hour ago, rideadeuce said:

Top right is battery indicator in red supplied by Epoch (quick visual). Under that is the Victron toggle for inverter and power assist control. Old Zamp controller area is for GX display. 2 green buttons inside pantry are remote battery shutoffs. 

Thanks.  I was referring to the BMV and Multi Control.  Are they not redundant with the GX?  Only asking because I am headed down the same path fairly soon.

• Like 2

2020 Elite II Hull #628, Houghton Heat Pump, Victron install in progress...

TV - 2011 Toyota Tundra Crew Max Platinum 4WD, Magnuson Supercharger, OME suspension

No, they are not redundant both do specific functions that you cannot do with the GX. So in my opinion necessary to get full functionality with Victron system. The only thing that might get rid of smart shunt and BMV is if you use Epoch batteries because their BMS communicates with Victron via BMS Bus on Cerbo or the VE. Bus on the Ekrano. I can't confirm how well that works yet because I installed the Ekrano and I am waiting on a cable that converts CAN bus to VE. Bus. So Epoch batteries BMS is not talking to Victron yet.  Doesn't matter if you're using Cerbo GX it will work but Ekrano not sure yet. 

• Like 2

- Mike

Nashville, TN

On 4/18/2024 at 7:38 AM, rideadeuce said:

So everything is working. A/C is running off the batteries as we speak.

Very intriguing, thanks for your post! For future reference, what did you do to resolve the A/C issue?

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

Shore/gen-> ATS->EMS-> Multiplus-> Breakers. When I removed the old inverter, I took down that part of the circuit and placed it back in the panel breaker (plugs/microwave) and then ran the shore power through the MP2 AC IN the AC OUT1 to the panel.

• Like 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN

Important for Ekrano and EPOCH battery users:

If you use or plan to use the Ekrano display with the EPOCH batteries and Victron COMMS you must go in under Settings and go to Services and change the VE.CAN 1 to CAN BUS 500. Works like a charm now but literally no-one at EPOCH or any installer I talked to knew how to do this. Once done the batteries BMS talk to the Victron Components and take over charging parameters/needs. If you are using the Cerbo GX just plug into Can Bus port.

IMG_7378.thumb.jpg.3e1f13ee91840163f386578825564b71.jpgIMG_7377.thumb.jpg.09eb73d182159fab4132e43db5ebeea0.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

- Mike

Nashville, TN

On 4/18/2024 at 5:27 PM, katanapilot said:

I was referring to the BMV and Multi Control.  Are they not redundant with the GX?

So after finally getting the Victron and Epoch batteries talking and getting use to all the settings via the VRM online I would agree that the BMV and Multi Control are redundant. But redundant in the way you have volume control through software and a physical volume knob. I would still install the Multi Control for the immediate physical control but not sure about the smart shunt or BMV because of the built in communication EPOCH utilizes. Hope this helps. 

Best, M

• Like 2

- Mike

Nashville, TN

Beutiful Install, Im Jealous you have double the power with my Battleborns. I love the Victron in last two rigs I had , power assist makes all difference in world, I never blow a basic breaker on anywhere I plug into. The only issues I did notice is the victron when charging or running and getting hot vibrates and is noisy against the wall. I placed a piece of bubble foil behind the victron on my install for sound dampening and should have painted the surface with Lizard skin or some sound dampening material.

How noisy is your unit when running? 

Just curious Thanks Ty 

I have ordered the new victron 12v to 12volt charger to charge my Battleborn batteries as the efficiency is 95 percent or more on the unit. I am going to charge those

batteries with a Pecron all in one unit with two 300 packs attached. I like your install with bigger batteries and watch a lot of Will Prowse videos also. 

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Ty J said:

have ordered the new victron 12v to 12volt charger to charge my Battleborn batteries as the efficiency is 95 percent or more on the unit. I am going to charge those

My next project as well. New 50amp version is nice. 

- Mike

Nashville, TN

12 hours ago, Ty J said:

How noisy is your unit when running

So far, no vibrations just some low humming but acceptable (muted by mattress). I did glue down a rubber mat on the basement floor before weighting the aluminum base and then setting HDPE board to wall with epoxy. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

So first real world test using new system to power AC on our trip from TN to Gulf Shores, AL. With the AC set on 74 we left at 4am and arrived at the beach around 1pm with temps in the upper 80s. Battery level was 64% but dwindling fast with higher temps. Pretty happy with the 8 hour drive with no DC to DC charging yet and able to easily make it with dogs in the camper resting comfortably. 

Looking forward to heading out West with on the road charging using the new 50 amp DC to DC charger and seeing how that works. 

Best, 
M

Edited by rideadeuce
  • Like 2

- Mike

Nashville, TN

23 hours ago, rideadeuce said:

Looking forward to heading out West with on the road charging using the new 50 amp DC to DC charger and seeing how that works. 

In my test, the 40A Renogy DC-DC reduces the typical 108A draw when running the A/C on battery while underway to 68A; getting full output from the charger means it is properly dialed in! I have no reason to run the A/C while underway other than pre-cool the interior prior to an anticipated break for lunch or a rest. When doing so, the batteries rebound by the time I reach my destination. You could see a 50% reduction in battery draw by the A/C with your charger, even more if you have solar, as well. Unfortunately, I have not been able to monitor the house batteries via the Victron Smart Shunt and Connect app from within the TV, and the breaker did trip once for some unknown reason. That said, I’ m sure you have a way to ensure your dogs are okay, perhaps temperature sensor alarms. NEway, thanks for your post and good luck with the endeavor!

• Like 2

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ronbrink said:

Unfortunately, I have not been able to monitor the house batteries via the Victron Smart Shunt and Connect app from within the TV, and the breaker did trip once for some unknown reason. That said, I’ m sure you have a way to ensure your dogs are okay, perhaps temperature sensor alarms.

Yes, we have some redundancy built in to monitor TT temps in cabin and fridge.

https://a.co/d/fDlGGL2

71T19sN-NJL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.c323532da78d5a7c73ba247860cba3d9.jpg

https://a.co/d/4mDqwXo

610Im3xVuCL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.3ce8ffc1098557884b1ae3578b20e09a.jpg

To monitor your Victron system you will have to setup some kind of cellular/satellite modem/router. You probably already know that but it is very useful. I will also be able to monitor and make changes remotely to the Victron DC to DC charger. NEway, HA, too much tech!

Edited by rideadeuce
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN

So measeaured performance of system (Victron MP2 3000W, (2) Epoch 460 aH batteries) running AC on the road. 

We left at 7am and arrived in S Nashville around 3pm.

Batteries were 97% when we got on the road and exactly 30% when we got close to home. 

Started the day at 75 degrees in GS, AL climbed to mid 80s then back to 82 degrees in TN. 

Cabin temperature was set at 74 and stayed steady the entire time. 

We made 4 stops along the way, mostly for gas but the last one was at Buc-cees. Never again. Complete mad house. My wife and kids were in hog heaven.

But it was so nice NOT having the propane generating running. Completely quiet except for the Dometic AC. I feel like I have a ton of propane now... (2) 30 lb tanks. No more worries about running out of it. 

*I had this weird reading while monitoring solar input while on the road. The wattage would go up to over 400 watts then drop to zero (blue skies) for a few seconds and then start climbing up again just to drop out and this repeated itself all the way home. Loose wire? Checked, everything seems fine. No alarms/warnings. Temperature in area where solar charger is installed was fine. 

IMG_8284.thumb.png.e90c09a45449465027e6f08ff113c1d6.png IMG_8291.thumb.png.12ae916a1ce8ff3d24eb2d1c1f31b96b.png

Video of solar input dropping out... 

- Mike

Nashville, TN

• Moderators

Mike -

this might be hard to remember - but - 

did the solar "drop out" as you passed under a bridge or some sort of "shade" (i.e. shading the panels from a passing truck or trees)?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

7 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

did the solar "drop out" as you passed under a bridge or some sort of "shade" (i.e. shading the panels from a passing truck or trees)?

No, completely clear blue skies on the interstate. Did this all way home.

• Like 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN

So after some research going to look at testing/replacing circuit breaker (one of the post was loose when I was working on it - didn't check it), some have said BMS could be interfering for some reason. Going to do a more thorough check for loose connections and check/replace breaker first. 

• Like 2

- Mike

Nashville, TN

Keep in mind, when running AC, at 70 MPH down a highway, as tight as the Oliver hull is, you're POURING BTUs in the wake behind you! Sitting at a campsite would be say 1.5 less SOC loss and if sitting in the shade, 2x LESS.

Hey @rideadeuce, Buc-ee's is a Texas on-the-road tradition (though I do agree with your sentiment)! When we lived in Georgetown TX, Chris' daughter and grandchild in Houston, we would meet at the Buc-ee's in Giddings TX, for the hand-off, so our grandson could spend a couple days with us! He loved the place. Giddings a great east TX town, great Mexican food and a Super Mercado to stock up the fridge! Ahh, great memories...

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Buc-ee's is a Texas on-the-road tradition

Oh, I am sure I would have enjoyed it more if I had not been traveling home on a deadline with wife and kids. Brisket and pulled pork sandwiches were good. Just too many people. I know there is a huge fan base, I hear about Buc-ee's all the time at work. I wonder if they will switch all those gas pumps to charging stations in the future. 

I get what you are saying about the loss of BTUs but the phenomena that I observed was this cyclical loss of solar input from max wattage to zero repeating itself every 5-10 seconds (see video above). I feel like it is something simple, it is just going to be the running it down part that I hope is easy. Replacement 50 amp auto-reset breaker coming today.

Hopefully, starting the new Victron 50A DC/DC charger install today or tomorrow. It will be a good time to check all the connections, etc. 

Best, 
Mike

IMG_8287.thumb.jpeg.3f74f0cdbe0e4db016f3e4d4a49664ba.jpeg

Edited by rideadeuce
  • Like 2

- Mike

Nashville, TN

Solar input dropping was due to a loose post on the solar breaker (from over-tightening). FIXED! 

• Like 2

- Mike

Nashville, TN

• Moderators
3 hours ago, rideadeuce said:

the phenomena that I observed was this cyclical loss of solar input from max wattage to zero repeating itself every 5-10 seconds (see video above).

I must have missed that part - "every 5-10 seconds" - so, of course bridge/overpasses nor trees nor passing trucks happen THAT often.

Good job in finding the real problem.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

• 3 weeks later...

Was planning ahead re Epoch LiFePO4 batteries. @rideadeuce installed the more expensive model B12460A since two of them fit in the battery bay.

I'm interested in saving some $$$ and do not need "Victron Comms" so I've been studying the 12300A-H (300AH) and 12460ES (460AH) models to see what would be the highest AH that can fit in the bay (also don't care at all about the sliding tray).

At first look, it appears the 460AH is too wide to fit two in the bay. Specs listed as such on their webpage: length 20.55" width: 9.45" height: 8.60". Then open the User's Manual and you will see the width and height numbers reversed (which makes more sense). I just emailed Epoch to please clarify. If the specs in the manual are correct, I see two 12460ES LiFePO4 batteries in our future sitting side-by-side in the battery bay, tray removed with 3/4" to spare!

• Like 1

I experienced dropouts on my first install. Measured resistance across cheap fuses in system and found they had high resistance causing heat and cutout also. Awesome install! Run my a/c last week on batteries, working well. 85 degrees out and can get through complete day on my 400 ah battleborn batteries and my victron. Great work!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2024 at 12:21 PM, jd1923 said:

At first look, it appears the 460AH is too wide to fit two in the bay. Specs listed as such on their webpage: length 20.55" width: 9.45" height: 8.60". Then open the User's Manual and you will see the width and height numbers reversed (which makes more sense). I just emailed Epoch to please clarify. If the specs in the manual are correct, I see two 12460ES LiFePO4 batteries in our future sitting side-by-side in the battery bay, tray removed with 3/4" to spare!

First time I "quoted" my own post! It took 11 days to get an answer...

I sent an inquiry through Epoch's Contact Us page and received no answer. I emailed support@epochbatteries.com with the same question and nothing... Three days later I called their support phone number and got a young guy on the phone. He did not know, but said they had one in the shop, and he could measure. After looking 5 minutes for a tape measure without success, he said he would find one and call me back soon. He never did.

The article re LI batteries suggested buying from an American (Las Vegas, NV) reseller for US support. I emailed them today and they replied, same day and corrected their website page same day, the same mistake that Epoch.com has on their page and will likely be there for some time. Here it is now corrected, and it appears the better reseller: 12V 460Ah - Heated & Bluetooth - LiFePO4 Battery - Epoch Essentials ~ Current Connected

The Epoch Essentials 12460ES battery is only 8.6" wide (as the User Manual stated, but the web page had width and height numbers reversed). This means two (2) of them can fit side-by-side in the Oliver battery bay with the sliding tray removed (I'm removing mine regardless to lose weight and gain height in the bay to get my arms in there for service). Great deal to get 920AH of LiFePO4 batteries for $2,798 total. The reviewer was correct in suggesting an US-based company to provide good local customer service. For many 460AH is quite enough and at $1,399 is an amazing deal! One of these does fit in the OEM sliding battery tray. Heck with the tray, I want two! Looking for Epoch to offer an additional 15% off like they offered for their Black Friday sale last year (coming soon)!

• Like 2