Another Starlink installation

Posted (edited)

Chose to drill a 1" hole next to the one for the Cradlepoint antenna. Used a Blue Sea's clam filled with Dicor caulk. Finally, got to use my black Flex tape to bottom out the hole I made so I could fill it with caulk sealant. In transit is a Trio Flatmount with rubberized magnets and swivels leg mounts attached to place on roof with VHB metal disks for a semi-permanent attachment to the front area of roof behind the Maxx-air vent.

https://www.trioflatmount.com/shop/p/gen3flatmount

.https://youtu.be/nnZypsxs-8M?si=Yeg2M-sG8SWG_HJ5

Untitled.thumb.jpg.d7ec99465a1981cdb0c441b1ae434d96.jpg

IMG_7740.thumb.jpg.6051b6284f318b3d0b0dd00f7edb28db.jpgIMG_7742.thumb.jpg.691fca28cb52cf22afc7d14f6888ae9b.jpgIMG_7743.thumb.jpg.3331f6a5fc3aedeb998cd3f38d9eae3f.jpgIMG_7744.thumb.jpg.983dde65e2f8d14c2432f5fe910ddede.jpgIMG_7747.thumb.jpg.5594838c8e860957dc7da6968e7faee0.jpgIMG_7748.thumb.jpg.f33929b209d2139e65863acb39539661.jpgIMG_7749.thumb.jpg.3f54fbedabe935e0e8d11dcbcdb64285.jpgIMG_7750.thumb.jpg.7e7cd3367ec839b6d8c1706ed76c0887.jpgIMG_7751.thumb.jpg.779aa1e8c39579af873e9c35f5896c77.jpgIMG_7752.thumb.jpg.f7d8ce25b60b0d77ae59c530012acd8e.jpg

Edited by rideadeuce
  • Like 4

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
1 hour ago, rideadeuce said:

Chose to drill a 1" hole next to the one for the Cradlepoint modem. Used a Blue Seas clam filled with Dicor caulk. Finally, got to use my black Flex tape to bottom out the hole I made so I could fill it with caulk sealant. Waiting on a Trio Flatmount with rubberized magnets and swivels mounts to arrive for semi-permanent attachment to front area roof.

Very nice! Of course, magnet mounts won't hold to fiberglass. The video mentions other options. You wrote "semi-permanent attachment." Not permanent?

Long cable run up to the front. Did you consider mounting it somewhere in the rear or even on the AC cover? I imagine it doesn't weigh very much at all. I see why you suggested a flat roof in another post! 😂

• Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

You VHB 4in round metal disks that the rubberized magnets on swivels legs attach to and then you can remove it easily for cleaning or land use, etc. Also, I wanted to use the legs so I could get a couple inches of height and use a M6 bolt sleeve to raise the rear to give the dish an 8-10 degree slant for water shedding (similar to the OEM RV mount). Of course, you can easily permanently mount it flat using VHB or screws if you wanted to, lots of options. No room in the back to place it due to AC blockage and Cradlepoint external antenna on my application. I did consider placing it on the AC shroud and could easily trial it due to having the magnets and VHB metal disks. My gut feeling is that the shroud is not strong or stable enough plus I don’t want to catch it on anything if it is the highest point on the RV. 

Internet speed testing has been great so far, anxious to see what the numbers are once I am traveling on the interstate. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN

Your on-the-road WiFi connectivity will be awesome!  Very "jelly" over here, ha!  Thanks for posting the flat mount option - its likely one of the best ways to go, IMO.

• Like 3

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

I'll say this, you "Starlink Fellows" are a smart group of owners.  My slide rule based pea brain is amazed and impressed with your installations and the capability that it brings for boondockers to also be remoted gig workers.  

Been working with several owners, especially AndrewK, on how to route a long wire thermistor from the Houghton A/C control board to the former location of the Dometic thermostat.  Andrew has shared detailed instructions on a possible way to "poke" a wire between the hulls.  If I am unsuccessful in that process, use of your flat, low observable clam will certainly open up opportunities that I had not even considered.

So, MANY thanks to you from all the OTT Houghton Owners that have been pondering our thermistor relocation goal!

GJ 

image.png.bf080319b298e79e8e14c721dabfc4f6.png

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Like to get to this upgrade (I hear buy it in Mexico for <$) after new leafs and a quiet AC unit, and more... Spent $1600 for Christmas on our Peplink setup and that has served us well. I could just magnet mount mine nextdoor to your Parsec antenna on the TV! The Pepwave router has the WAN input too and has the SW logic to seamlessly switch between Internet sources.

Parsec Antenna Install.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jd1923 said:

Spent $1600 for Christmas on our Peplink setup and that has served us well.

Would love to hear/see more about your peplink setup jd, and not sure if I've missed it, but do you also have the Starlink, if yes do you have it connected via the WAN port on your peplink? We're going semi full time end October and I'm thinkng of getting a peplink and Starlink.

• Like 2

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

1 hour ago, rich.dev said:

Would love to hear/see more about your peplink setup jd, and not sure if I've missed it, but do you also have the Starlink, if yes do you have it connected via the WAN port on your peplink? We're going semi full-time end October and I'm thinking of getting a peplink and Starlink.

Sure Rich, thanks for asking! We have not yet added Starlink because of the $2500 cost. We are very much parttime (90% home), but I rationalized the Pepwave and a T-Mobile Business account as a backup to my business as an online instructor in Project Management. When have Internet issues at home, just connect to the TV in the driveway and Wi-Fi! T-Mobile is the only carrier that provides 5G all the way up here at 5400 FT in little Prescott, AZ!

This is the bundle I purchased: Speed Demon Mobile Internet Bundle – MobileMustHave.com and they have an option to add Starlink. It should be plug-n-play as @rideadeuce mentioned. Just plug it in the WAN port. I purchased their $49 configuration fee (strongly suggested), since I did not want to learn and do that work. All I did was install the hardware and answer a questionnaire (select Wi-Fi names, etc.) and it's good. Starlink setup would be included if bundled.

I STRONGLY recommend installing in the TV, unless a pretty truck is important to you, or you trade them in often. You're not always at the campsite, but you are always in the TV, or it's parked by your Oliver. Not much room on the Ollie roof and no drilling into the Oliver. The fiberglass shell of the Ollie allows for strong Wi-Fi (AS TTs have to run a Wi-Fi access point due to the metal shell). Get the best, the PARSEC PRO antenna too. We camp in many canyons in the Rockies, that have no service (radio, TV or cell). Just drive our truck up to a ridge and we can use our computers. If you add Starlink this is a moot point, but I drive this truck down to the valley often w/o the Oliver, teach a class in Las Vegas for the week and the router goes where we go. Chris uses her laptop often while I'm driving. We've gotten anywhere from a low 20 Mbps download speeds out in the boonies (slow but can stream TV) to 860 Mpbs high speed where 5G is available! Here is the mod post I made a few months back: 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So unfortunately not good reception in the Tundra on the way down but I might get a second router to place in the front closet. If I had to do the cradlepoint modem and and antenna install originally I might have put it in the front closet so that the reception driving down the road would have been better. Maybe second router can work as an extender. Way down on the list at the moment. 

Speed at Gulf State Park is awesome though!

IMG_8027.thumb.PNG.873832a40b810e86dfbe49e0e2809ef4.PNG

- Mike

Nashville, TN

22 hours ago, rideadeuce said:

So unfortunately not good reception in the Tundra on the way down but I might get a second router to place in the front closet. If I had to do the cradlepoint modem and and antenna install originally I might have put it in the front closet so that the reception driving down the road would have been better. Maybe second router can work as an extender. Way down on the list at the moment.  Speed at Gulf State Park is awesome though!

Mike, you don't want 2 routers, because then you have two logins, need two antennas, splitters are not good, and more issues. What you need is a Wi-Fi access point. Then you would run ethernet cable from your CradlePoint router to some forward cabinet position.

I have a Pepwave Access Point, included our bundle and did not use it. I thought I may need it distance to the trailer, but not so due to the power of the Parsec antenna. You could just get a better antenna. I can read Wi-Fi at 2.4GHz and 5GHz right now from my home office to my truck presently parked 100 FT away going through two walls. Parsec Husky Pro 7-in-1 Antenna – MobileMustHave.com

I was about to list this item on Craigs for sale! PM me if you're interested at my Oliver family discount, part still NIB: AP One AC Mini - Peplink Wireless 2.4ghz/5ghz A/B/G/N/AC Wireless Acce – MobileMustHave.com

As you can see a simple wired access point is a lot less $$$ than a high-end antenna. And both will have their own installation challenges to consider. Best wishes, JD

@rideadeuce just remembered something...

It's better if the access point is physically in your truck. You can run Ethernet from the attic to the basement, all the way front to the hitch area. Like many have run with their DC-to-DC cabling. Then another leg of Ethernet under the truck to the interior. Mount the access point behind the rear seat like I did my router install. It runs on 12VDC, so you will have to pull a run from the truck fuse panel, likely by the driver-side kick panel.

I saved this on my Wishlist, when I was planning to do the same job: Amazon.com: IP68 Waterproof RJ45 Coupler, Shielded Pure Copper Waterproof Ethernet Coupler, IP68 Waterproof Ethernet Outdoor LAN Cable Connector for Cat5, Cat5e/Cat6/Cat7/Cat8 Ethernet Cable (Black 2 Pack Female) : Electronics  

Posted (edited)

It is an interesting install idea. Not ready to change things around yet. I am still stuck on the wifi being based out of the camper not the TV.  Also, The access point/router with Starlink basically turns it into a unified mesh wifi network from what I understand so may try that first if I get caught up on other projects. Thanks for the offer and like the newly found site MobileMustHave.com. I might come around to your way of thinking eventually. 

Best, 

M

Edited by rideadeuce

- Mike

Nashville, TN

@rideadeuce, does your CradlePoint have an external antenna to broadcast Wi-Fi? If not, this is why you cannot receive Wi-Fi at your TV. The access point is a simple wired solution or a superior broadcast antenna.

The Parsec has 4 cellular antennas to bring in cell signals, SIM card in the router for your cellular carrier (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon). We went with a Business T-Mobile account since they recently added 5G in our area. It has a GPS antenna for location accuracy, and 2 Wi-Fi antennas to broadcast a good 100 FT full circle around the antenna. Chris can be online, at highspeed while I'm towing

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jd1923 said:

@rideadeuce, does your CradlePoint have an external antenna to broadcast Wi-Fi? If not, this is why you cannot receive Wi-Fi at your TV. The access point is a simple wired solution or a superior broadcast antenna.

This is what I have but it is installed just above the attic in rear of TT. 
https://www.arcantenna.com/products/170654-000-cradlepoint-5-in-1-gps-glonass-two-cellular-3g-4g-lte-two-wifi-2-4-5-ghz-screw-mount-antenna-with-3m-cables

- Mike

Nashville, TN

10 hours ago, rideadeuce said:
This is what I have but it is installed just above the attic in rear of TT. 

Nothing wrong with that antenna. You should get signal in the cab. Is the AC blocking line-of-sight to the TV. Mount it a little taller? Strange.

On 5/29/2024 at 9:41 PM, jd1923 said:

Is the AC blocking line-of-sight to the TV

I think this is the problem with reception in the TV.

- Mike

Nashville, TN

Maiden voyage with Starlink went great. SO nice to have a fast internet connection remotely. Magnetic feet on metal VHB'd discs worked flawlessly at 70mph in windy conditions. Didn't move a bit, despite being out front with no wind buffering. 

• Like 4

- Mike

Nashville, TN

@rideadeuce Mike, I'm wondering re your extra solar panel.
What make/model? Do you recommend? It does look HD/thick, like a lighter/thinner panel might be enough at that narrow width. Please let me know. 

I'd like to add some solar eventually, mounted on an angle, in that area of the roof. Did you just tie them into the junction box under the OTT installed panels?

I know they make the make connectors like these for that purpose. Thanks
1 Pair, Solar Connectors T Branch Parallel Adapter Cable, 1 Pair 10awg Waterproof Solar 1 To 2 Solar Panel Connectors Wire Plug Tool Kit For Solar Panel (1*m/ff+1*f/mm),temu

Narrow Solar Panel.jpg

Posted (edited)

I used the OEM Zamp panels (90 watts each) to make it easy due to the SAE (reverse polarity) connection. There is an empty SAE connection at the junction box under the main panels, so super simple to add. I think I used a SAE Y-combiner to connect the 2 panels  (I would have to look). I got the mounts from Amsolar.com. But you are right there is lots of lightweight, flexible options these days. I have thought about changing the whole solar array but due to lack of flat real estate on the roof I have decided to keep what I have. So if you want to keep it simple and plug and play, I would still just go with the Zamp panels. 

Edited by rideadeuce
  • Thanks 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN