How to Clean the Oliver Seat Cushions

We are Hull #1145, Elite 2.  We have the standard layout and just returned home from 2 months of travel.  We have emptied the travel trailer, and are in the process of cleaning.  We usually vacuum the seat cushions, but after seeing all the dust we collected on this trip, in spite of the weekly vacuuming and wipe down, we wonder if we should wash the seat cushion covers.  I searched throughout the forums, but did not see anything previously posted.  Is it safe to machine wash and dry the seat cushion covers? 

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

I would be hesitant to machine wash and a dryer may cause them to shrink. I suggest you try an automotive fabric upholstery cleaning product or one of those steam cleaners with an upholstery attachment. 

Edited by Ronbrink
  • Like 3

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

It really depends on the fabric content and instructions.  

Do you know what fabric was used on your cushions? And the care instructions?

Even if the fabric is machine washable, I wouldn't dry it. Hang dry. Maybe air fluff. You can damage not only the fabric and stitching, but the zippers too, in the dryer.

Getting cushions back into the covers isn't ever fun, but a sheet of plastic, or a dry cleaning bag, can help. Makes the foam more "slippery", then you pull the plastic out, after you work the cover up like a tight sock, a little at a time, keeping seams straight.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

This is my thought on the Oliver seat cushions. Our Oliver is 8+ years old and cleaning is not enough as the foam has lost its cushion. We also have the twin beds, so we're only talking the dinette. These are the best and most expensive I found on Amazon and btw Chris' nickname is Red! Amazon.com: RSH DECOR: Deep Seating Cushion with Pillow Back | 24” x 24” Seat | Sunbrella Performance Fabric | Water and Fade-Resistant | Outdoor Chair Cushion Set for Patio Furniture | Canvas Burgundy : Patio, Lawn & Garden

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

This is our first time using the forum.  I hope this response appears as we are replying to all.  We appreciate your responses regarding the seat cushions.  We impulsively moved forward with washing the smallest seat cushion to test out washing on delicate with cold water and letting it air dry.  I have to say, the shrinkage was not too bad.  However, as SeaDawg mentioned, it was rough getting the foam into the narrow opening of the cover.  We feared we would damage the zipper, and then getting the cover to look nice and neat and not wonky was a challenge!  The batting that raps around the foam is difficult to keep in tact.  If we continue with this method of cleaning we will consider the plastic idea to slip the foam and batting into the cover.  We are divided in how we should move forward.  jd1923, thank you for the link for the sunbrella cushions.  You certainly opened our eyes to having covers with a fabric such as sunbrella.  As our Oliver ages, we may consider new cushions with a sunbrella type of fabric custom made for us.  Since our Oliver is only a couple years old, we will consider the automotive upholstery cleaner, and see how that does.  {We do not have offensive stains or anythihng, just want to freshen the cushions up.). Thank you for all your suggestions.  You have been very helpful : )  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CnJTravel said:

This is our first time using the forum.  I hope this response appears as we are replying to all.

Many of us read most of the new posts anyway, but to signal another member you can quote them or put the @ symbol in front of their forum name like @CnJTravel and members will see a notification when they login or they may have activated alerts. You should see two notifications since I quoted you and referred to your name.

Also, read this section to add a signature and other housekeeping: How to Join and Use Oliver Travel Trailer Forums - Oliver Owner Forums (olivertraveltrailers.com)

Of course, cushion replacement is not for you, but I wanted others to know of it. I believe we will buy those, just before we set out on Fall travel. Replacing all the cushions in the standard layout is a lot. We have already replaced our beds. 

The automotive cleaners are a form of dry cleaning. It is a lot of work for all the surface area you have, and it may not be thorough, may leave an odor.

I would strongly suggest you talk to local carpet cleaning companies. Some would refuse this kind of work, but some do upholstery cleaning. Ask re that. You want the company that has the van-based system where the hot water is pushed into the fabric as is it vacuumed out. They'll have the small upholstery head for cleaning and first will spray with an appropriate cleaning solution that you could discuss. Depending on your location, if humid you will have to bring the cushions into an air-conditioned space for 1-2 days to allow them to fully dry. That's what I would do.

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

• Moderators

Highly recommend you try the plastic hack that Seadawg mentioned - you simply will not believe how much easier it is getting the foam back inside the covers. 

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC